• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Living well east of the Mississippi and well south of the Mason-Dixon, I can't compete with MITS, WITS, FITS, SITS, and certainly not T.I.T.S. I am, however, blessed with a relatively comfortable year-round outdoor cooking season. Thus, when the mood strikes, I will post up pics of my latest table-fare, along with methodology, as befits my avatar.

Pictorial participation and method sharing encouraged.

To kick things off, tonight's meal, as depicted below.

2 ribeyes, appx 14 oz each, marinated for two hours in equal parts vinegar and light olive oil, with minced garlic, cayenne, and S+P to taste;

1.5lbs salmon filet, S+P, finished with fresh lemon;

Mixed peppers and onions with mushrooms, S+P, garlic, oil.

All done a la plancha to desired temp - med rare for steaks, med for fish, appropriate softness for veggies.

Total prep time: 10 min, excluding marinade.
Total cook time: 18 min.
Ambient air temp: 46F.

image.jpg image.jpeg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
5.5 pound standing pork rib roast. Brown sugar and brown mustard wet rub. Done with indirect heat in v-rack at 325f on large egg to internal temp of 155, about medium. Served with kale Caesar with ramen "crouton." A to Z pinot noir. Cook time almost 3 hours. Air temp to start was 56f. Mid 40s at end. Excepting the sugar and ramen, another Paleo friendly offering.

image.jpeg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I too am a BGE aficionado.
BGE weekends are the best. I've got some boneless chicken thighs, two whole chickens, and flank steak to do over the next several days. And at least one plancha breakfast with biscuits and sausage gravy. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, fire up that egg and post some pics.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a flag steak (aka Flank Steak?) at Moody's in Truckee the other night and OMG what a tasty cut of meat. I have never made it at home...any suggestions?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a flag steak (aka Flank Steak?) at Moody's in Truckee the other night and OMG what a tasty cut of meat. I have never made it at home...any suggestions?
Yes. Slice it across the grain.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I like doing a teriyaki marinade on flank steak and serving over an Asian salad of sorts. If you lay the knife back at an angle when you cut across the grain, you get more of the tender middle in each bite. For left overs, I dice the remaining meat and make simple tacos the following day - sriracha mayo and an Asian slaw. Costco where I am sells flanks in 2-packs, which makes two meals with one cook pretty easy to accomplish.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like doing a teriyaki marinade on flank steak and serving over an Asian salad of sorts. If you lay the knife back at an angle when you cut across the grain, you get more of the tender middle in each bite. For left overs, I dice the remaining meat and make simple tacos the following day - sriracha mayo and an Asian slaw. Costco where I am sells flanks in 2-packs, which makes two meals with one cook pretty easy to accomplish.
Heading to Costco today. :drool:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

This is actually one of my faves, easy and tender. I usually make a marinade with soy sauce, orange juice, olive oil, dry mustard, garlic, maybe some brown sugar, whatever you want, really. You can do almost anything. Throw it in a ziploc and go skiing, come home and grill it up. Add sauteed spinach, a box of rice pilaf, sliced cantaloupe -- and dinner is on the table in like 20 min. I did that so often when the kids were little, we got away from it for a while. But it was the absolute go-to around here.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've used all kinds of salad dressings from Italian to Balsamic. Favorite is a red wine, garlic, rosemary and thyme.
1/2 C dry red wine
1/2 C water
1 clove of garlic minced
1 tsp dried rosemary (I prefer fresh)
1/2 tsp dried thyme (again I use fresh)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Good for low fat diets. ..no oil.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Fat Gut Friday - one of my favorite days.

Today's offering - tri-tip (aka Santa Maria or Newport) 2.3 pounds, dry rub heavy on ground assorted peppers. Seared off briefly in 12 in cast iron skillet with roasted garlic heated on the plancha.

Pulled the meat after searing and then placed in large egg at 325, direct heat, with mesquite smoke, turning occasionally until desired temp reached.

While that's rocking along, reset the plancha for some hash browns. Diced idahos with garlic and oil, plenty of spice, eventually finished with smoked cheddar.

After resting, the tri-tip was sliced paper thin and served over the taters. Hook and Ladder Pinot noir.

Total cook time: 3 beers and half a bourbon.
Air temp mid sixties.

Healthy? Not hardly. Tasty? Hell yeah.

Chronological pics follow.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

steak4.jpg steak5.jpg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Win-win proposition. Buy both. Though the flank is a bit pricy in comparison.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Flank streak done right stands up to ribeye in my book. Grew up on it.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
The diet did not start this morning.

1lb thick cut bacon.
1.5lbs chorizo, turned into egg scramble.
Separate scramble so kids don't whine.
Served over sourdough toast.
54degrees and cloudy on deck, but zero kitchen smell or cleanup = happy wife.
image.jpeg
image.jpg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Beer can chicken. Sweet potatoes. Apples and onions. Apple wood smoke. Will make stock from the carcass and save for soup next time a kid gets sick. Good stuff. image.jpg image.jpeg

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd post a picture of my sous vide setup, but I don't think you want to see the 8lbs of chicken breast tenders that's going right now.

Though now this thread is making me want to pickup a NY strip on my way home tonight.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is my third season in Park City but first with a fair amount of cold and snow. This winter there have been lessons. Like don't locate your grill where a roof ice avalanche will take it out. Didn't learn that in San Diego.

Sponsor

Staff online