• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Which ski in this category would perform well on moguls and secondly hard snow / ice.?
All of the skis that I lak about here, i have skied in the bumps and all performed very well....but I can also ski bumps. As far as hard snow/ice...again all are very good. I would sale the Augment might have the slightest of edges especially in the stiffer flex but then you are going to compromise the mogul performance you also asked about. Honestly, there is very few things that these skis cannot to that you would expect them to be able to.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Btw, Kudo's to Phil for a really good cage match. I really like the approach of covering multiple skis in the same class. There is also more "coverage" of each ski, which really helps get a better feel for each one. If a cage match test write up is too brief, its just scratching the surface. With this review, you satisfied the itch.
:golfclap:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Btw, Kudo's to Phil for a really good cage match. I really like the approach of covering multiple skis in the same class. There is also more "coverage" of each ski, which really helps get a better feel for each one. If a cage match test write up is too brief, its just scratching the surface. With this review, you satisfied the itch.
:golfclap:
Thank you. I think we will see see more of these next year. :popcorn:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What length do you suggest @Philpug ? 6'1, 185lb, strong expert, currently skiing on Head Titan 177 and Bonafide 180. Appreciate your wisdom....or any other Pugs!
I have to agree with everyone else....the 175.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What about the MX84? Asks the Kastle fanboy...
Nice ski of course, I chose to give some love to the not too often referenced MX74.

David Layton

Booting up
Skier
I'm also in the market for a Laser AX. I've got a length question. I am 6'4" about 205 lbs, and an athletic, but not super-skilled skier. Last year I rented a 175 and I found that it was a great ski, for all the reasons you describe. If I buy this ski, I would tend toward the 182, but I am wondering how much maneuverability I would give up relative to the 175. How should I think about length with this ski? For my height and weight, should I absolutely be on the 182? Or should I think about this more like a slamon ski, where a 175 would be fine for me? Thanks.
I have the 182, and it doesn't feel too long at all. It is very fun and quick, even in moguls.. I'm 6'3", 215 lbs. I appreciate that length for fresh snow and for speed.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
You tried the 175 and liked it. The AX skis long and is very stable in a shorter length. Yes, you will, indeed, give up maneuverability at the 182 length and get little in return unless you are skiing very fast and doing long turns. Your short turns and bumps will be more work. Your choice.

James

Out There
Instructor
You tried the 175 and liked it.
Who's "you"?

For people wondering, there's extensive writing on the 183cm AX on this site. (A pair went from @Jim McDonald > @mdf > @ScottB , with many testers in between) Listen to @ScottB 's post above. Do not casually go to that length unless you're very sure. People who ski like Daron Rhalves can ignore such warnings, obviously.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Very nice write up Phil!
I skied all these skis at the pugski demo day last spring (except the mx74 which I owned, and have owned the ax and now have a cassiar79), and concur. Distinctively different feel, but all great. I've reviewed my current favorite of the group, the cassiar 79, and stated why it's my fav. elsewhere, but most can't go wrong if they get the right length in these skis... At the moment, I like the lightest and liveliest, but I'm 160 and ski slowly in good snow mostly...
Welcome back to winter in a day!
Cheers,
W

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very nice write up Phil!
I skied all these skis at the pugski demo day last spring (except the mx74 which I owned, and have owned the ax and now have a cassiar79), and concur. Distinctively different feel, but all great. I've reviewed my current favorite of the group, the cassiar 79, and stated why it's my fav. elsewhere, but most can't go wrong if they get the right length in these skis... At the moment, I like the lightest and liveliest, but I'm 160 and ski slowly in good snow mostly...
Welcome back to winter in a day!
Cheers,
W

Wade, any update or additional thoughts on the Cassiar 79, beyond what's in your separate review?

I'm looking for a short-radius carver that also enjoys bumps. It will mostly come out to play in Sun Valley. I want something that comes alive at lower speeds. It doesn't have to be happy at 60.

I've owned Head iSLs (non-RD). They were too narrow in soft snow for my 200 pounds, and too stiff to be true fun in bumps. I still own Head iTitans (close, but again, kind of stiff) and Nordica GT 84s (dull feeling -- suspect I should have gone with the 80s).

This will kill @Philpug, but BY FAR, the funnest and closest to what I'm looking for are my old Fire Arrow 80s -- but they are growing very long in tooth.

TIA for any input.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Wade, any update or additional thoughts on the Cassiar 79, beyond what's in your separate review?

I'm looking for a short-radius carver that also enjoys bumps. It will mostly come out to play in Sun Valley. I want something that comes alive at lower speeds. It doesn't have to be happy at 60.

I've owned Head iSLs (non-RD). They were too narrow in soft snow for my 200 pounds, and too stiff to be true fun in bumps. I still own Head iTitans (close, but again, kind of stiff) and Nordica GT 84s (dull feeling -- suspect I should have gone with the 80s).

This will kill @Philpug, but BY FAR, the funnest and closest to what I'm looking for are my old Fire Arrow 80s -- but they are growing very long in tooth.

TIA for any input.

My faves in this segment that fit the bill as a short radius carver that will work well in bumps:
  • Blossom White Out
  • Stockli Laser AX
  • Stockli Laser AR

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am 6 ft 210 lbs--In addition to the Stockli AX & AR, the Liberty V76, Head i.Rally, and Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti have all worked well for me for short and med radius on-piste turns, as well as for zipping down bumps; while a bit narrower, the Stockli CS has also proven nice at the same task.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

TIA for any input.
@WadeHoliday will check in, I'm sure. I've been skiing on the Cassiar 79s at some of the same areas as Wade. He is a much more proficient skier than me but after a few days on the 79s I've come to really enjoy them. They are easy in bumps and fun on the groomers. I'm on the 174s and they are easy to work at slower speeds. I'm also about 20 pounds heavier than you and don't feel like they noodle out on me. If they interest you, grab them while you can because they'll be going away, unfortunately. The good news is Augment's Sport Carve has a lot of the same attributes as the Cassiar 79 but it is 68 underfoot so maybe a bit narrow for what you're looking for. They're in the same price area, which has a comma in it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@WadeHoliday will check in, I'm sure. I've been skiing on the Cassiar 79s at some of the same areas as Wade. He is a much more proficient skier than me but after a few days on the 79s I've come to really enjoy them. They are easy in bumps and fun on the groomers. I'm on the 174s and they are easy to work at slower speeds. I'm also about 20 pounds heavier than you and don't feel like they noodle out on me. If they interest you, grab them while you can because they'll be going away, unfortunately. The good news is Augment's Sport Carve has a lot of the same attributes as the Cassiar 79 but it is 68 underfoot so maybe a bit narrow for what you're looking for. They're in the same price area, which has a comma in it.

Thanks, Andy! I'm leaning towards passing, but will agonize some more. For a variety of reasons, we may be changing our "two trips to Sun Valley" winter plan next season, and that is/was the main target of this ski. But they just sound so FUN!

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Tom,
Not much else to add, your comment of comes at alive at slow speed and doesn't need to happy at 60 tells me you you may love the Cassiar 79. It's a great ski, but I can see why it didn't take off for dps, I just think people don't get a skinny shapely ski that isn't designed with race in mind, but it works great and has some magic to it I haven't felt in the other dps's I've skied or most other skis...
cheers,
w

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The good news is Augment's Sport Carve has a lot of the same attributes as the Cassiar 79 ...

If the Sport Carve is remotely like the two other Augments I've sampled, that's hard to believe. The DPS 79 I was on (twice) would arc a short turn if I so much as glanced at it sideways from the other side of the room. The Augments insisted on a notarized personal invitation.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If the Sport Carve is remotely like the two other Augments I've sampled, that's hard to believe. The DPS 79 I was on (twice) would arc a short turn if I so much as glanced at it sideways from the other side of the room. The Augments insisted on a notarized personal invitation.
I thought the 79s were easy to get into a turn but didn't yank you in. Just very smooth. Could be our 65-70# weight difference.

Sponsor

Staff online