• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey, I don't stockpile everything. No spare pair.
But I do need something to ski till @Philpug can introduce me to the next ski I'm going to love.
So I just ordered another pair.
I'll move the bindings over.
Another pair of navigators or something with some more beef?

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Navigators. Gives me a chance to look for something else without time pressure.
You probably could have just bought some enforcers(either 88 or 93) and been happy. I'm sure you'll be happy on your new navigators and will probably just ski them to death like you did with your last pair. :roflmao:As @KingGrump likes to say "it's the indian, not the arrow".

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Front of tip damage has little or no effect on how the skis work.
JHMR, especially the run along the ridge next to Tower 3 chute has problems.

About 15 years ago I hit a hidden rock (called scud missiles then) there. pulled
the edge out under the boot. Seeing ski patrollers overhead on Thunder Chair,
I started screaming at them. Expletives were not deleted. Damned if they
didn't go out within 30 minutes and spray paint all the rocks orange.

SamR

Booting up
Skier
I just ran into this thread here. I didn't notice the damage until the end of the day, so I can't point to where it occurred. Alta 2 I remember being particularly rocky. I also ran over a rock and ejected a ski when dropping into the luge at the bottom of Saratoga Bowl.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes! There were certainly more than a few rocks hiding in pretty much any luge run you'd want to enter. (And even more in the ones you wouldn't, like the runout from Saratoga.)

One even got me twice, though didn't cause any serious damage. I think I'm starting to get the hang of last minute rock avoidance (and hitting the rocks lightly, if you must) after a few Taos ski weeks. I've somehow still managed only three core shots (one at Taos on a beautiful demo pair of Laser SCs, naturally).

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alain must be thrilled by that. :roflmao:
Yeah. I walked in to return the skis and didn't even realize it had happened. (Pretty sure it was on White Feather of all places, doing some high-speed carves, since that's the only time I noticed something grab a ski unexpectedly.)

He showed me the damage, I think expecting some push back, and I just asked "How much?". He actually didn't ask very much at all, and was quite nice about it after that. (I was pretty embarrassed, though. Certainly not something I want to do to anyone's demo ski.)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just ran into this thread here. I didn't notice the damage until the end of the day, so I can't point to where it occurred. Alta 2 I remember being particularly rocky. I also ran over a rock and ejected a ski when dropping into the luge at the bottom of Saratoga Bowl.
Ouch. Are you going to have that repaired?

I can see the dimple right next to the missing edge. Is it the light in the photo or is the base where I circled it not flat?

1589242477699.png

SamR

Booting up
Skier
@Doug Briggs Thank you for taking a look. It’s just the light. Here is another angle. Any ballpark idea of how much it should cost to fix? A tech at Teton Village Sports said he could fix it, but I declined because I was flying back before it would have been done.

Attachments

• CEB685BD-9FE1-4B42-96C8-E44C6952C68F.jpeg
    CEB685BD-9FE1-4B42-96C8-E44C6952C68F.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 36

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is hard to say without hands on the ski. It appears there is damage to the edge/ski 'union' one either side of the missing piece. I'd say the entire edge next to dimpled p-tex has been compromised. The core of the ski may require some reinforcing to accept screws to hold replacement edge material.

Very roughly speaking, I'd say this repair would cost around $100. This would not include the actual base repair and tuning that would follow the actual edge repair. It could be less if the ski itself is more or less intact. More if the damage is more extensive than can be seen in a photo.

The general process for repair would be to cut away the dimpled edge to expose the ski's structure and any possible damage. That would help determine how much more of the edge would need to be removed to leave only good solid edge. A piece of edge would need to be cut to replace the missing section. Reinforcement of the core might be required to give a good structure to bond the edge to. Epoxy, fiberglass tow and screws would likely be used. Then the base would require patching/repair and tuning.

Sponsor

Staff online