• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
JH can be a tough on skis. Second only to Big Sky and Red Lodge ("Rock Dodge") IMO.

I hit this year during a snow cycle, on an already big year, and my "A" skis survived darn well!

Some of the worst culprits:

Alta 1 "throat"
Alta 2 and 3 lower portions
Hobacks main entrance
Bird in the Hand
Expert Chutes

But......worth it in spades IMO!
My bases look like they were attacked by a rabid badger.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
its called "patina" - some pay extra for it.

only thing I would do is spread that gap ever so slightly and warm it up some (assume you have some little wedges w/ your woodworking) - inject some epoxy down in there with one of those syringes that they give you to clean out the hole from wisdom tooth extraction or similar, then clamp it (but not too tight).

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok, I'm going to be that guy....

Snow is white. Rocks, stumps, trees, your buddy, Rock Chucks and Moose are not white. Stay on the white stuff and you won't tear skis up, you hit the other stuff, bad things happen.

I really don't understand people and rock damage. Unless you are in a true "no fall" situation there is very little reason to hit rocks unless you are just being careless. I ski fast and aggressively and very rarely hit a rock or even get a mark on my skis. Maybe it's because I work on damage like this, that I'm a little more careful with thin spots and rocky areas when I'm skiing. But, avoiding rock damage really isn't that hard.

It drives me crazy when skiers come in with impact and rock damage and they blame the ski area, the build of the skis, and everything else besides themselves and carelessness. Their first statement goes something like this, "I was just skiing along and the edge pulled out or the tips just blew apart." or "I don't know how it happened.", etc., etc. I just roll my eyes...

I guess that I really don't know why I'm being grumpy about it. The shop guy's mantra ought to be, "Go on and tear 'em up, I'll fix 'em, but it's gonna cost ya" and "Tear'em up boys, they make new one's every day, and I'll sell 'em to you".

Just an old shop guys rant for a Monday...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyone else find it ironic that the Head logo is a ski tip with a rivet in it - which the OP's skis don't (at present) have?

#nevermindthelogoput3rivetspertip

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier

Snow is white. Rocks, stumps, trees, your buddy, Rock Chucks and Moose are not white. Stay on the white stuff and you won't tear skis up, you hit the other stuff, bad things happen.

I really don't understand people and rock damage. Unless you are in a true "no fall" situation there is very little reason to hit rocks unless you are just being careless. I ski fast and aggressively and very rarely hit a rock or even get a mark on my skis. Maybe it's because I work on damage like this, that I'm a little more careful with thin spots and rocky areas when I'm skiing. But, avoiding rock damage really isn't that hard.

It drives me crazy when skiers come in with impact and rock damage and they blame the ski area, the build of the skis, and everything else besides themselves and carelessness. Their first statement goes something like this, "I was just skiing along and the edge pulled out or the tips just blew apart." or "I don't know how it happened.", etc., etc. I just roll my eyes...

I guess that I really don't know why I'm being grumpy about it. The shop guy's mantra ought to be, "Go on and tear 'em up, I'll fix 'em, but it's gonna cost ya" and "Tear'em up boys, they make new one's every day, and I'll sell 'em to you".

Unless you are going to come out of your bindings and that is not recommended at some places (say the opening to the right to Expert Chutes off Tensleep (esp it you are headed right), this is going to happen @ JHMR. It just is. It isn't a grassy meadow in the Summer.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I'll respectfully disagree.

Aggressive terrain requires aggressive skiing. That often causes your skis to penetrate the 3D snow which can be covering rocks, trees and other debris. I frequently ski new deep snow that overlies rocks and flora. I'm not going to give up the new deep snow just because there is a possibility I'm going to damage my skis.

Also, I don't complain about the damage. I own it. Better to damage the skis than to damage oneself.

Unless you are going to come out of your bindings and that is not recommended at some places (say the opening to the right to Expert Chutes off Tensleep (esp it you are headed right), this is going to happen @ JHMR. It just is. It isn't a grassy meadow in the Summer.

Ditto, Breckenridge upper mountain.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, my issue from this past week isn't rock damage. More on that later....

Yous guys are supposed to ski over the obstacles, not into them.
That does happen if you ski the same run repeatedly. Last month at Taos, the path across the top to get into Castor was very full of rocks. But after a couple of laps, you learn where they are and could mostly avoid them by, for example, lifting one ski at the narrow gaps.
Unless you are in a true "no fall" situation there is very little reason to hit rocks unless you are just being careless.
Some areas (like Big Sky in MT, Magic in VT) have sharp little rock chips that percolate up through the snowpack. Pretty much unavoidable.

The choke in the Alta 2 chute at Jackson this past week was steep, narrow and full of rocks. I actually avoided them by falling-leafing past them. But I wanted to go back and ski it more aggressively, and there is a pretty high probability I would have dinged my skis a bit. (Lift was down, didn't get a chance.)

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
I think this classic is appropriate here: "The problem with Jackson Hole is we got 10 foot rocks. And the best skiing is around the rocks. So I always hit rocks."

PS Adam, sorry if I had anything to with your being where that happened. I try to hop over or go around any rocks I can see, but I'm not going to avoid fun looking terrain just because I'm worried about my skis...skis are for skiing. It It could be worse if you join me at Sugarbush or Mad River.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Some areas (like Big Sky in MT, Magic in VT) have sharp little rock chips that percolate up through the snowpack. Pretty much unavoidable.

Eh, you can be in the middle of a groomer in the Mid-Atlantic and get those. And they percolate to the top with every groomer run after a freeze/thaw cycle, just like Brazil nuts in a mixed nuts tin. About the only way to avoid them is to ski completely solid coral reef.

"Little" - 1/2" to 2" across. I'm not even going to try cataloguing the 1/4" or less hits.

With the MadRussian skis I simply don't care - there is no way I can prang the skis and there is no way to punch/distort the black locust sidewalls.

Last edited:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I long ago gave up letting the possibility that I might hit a few rocks dictate where and how I ski. If there's a line I really want to ski, I'm going to ski it, and I'll fix any damage when I get home.

I'm not going to intentionally ski over rocks that can be avoided, but if (for example) the runs off The Cirque at Snowbird look good, but the traverse is a rocky mess, I'll live with a few nicks on my skis to access some of my favorite lines on the mountain. Same thing with the Big Couloir at Big Sky - a couple of weeks ago I came out of it with a couple of core shots after hitting rocks in the middle of the run buried under a foot of fresh. I knew that was something that might happen (although I didn't know exactly where), but it's one of the most memorable runs I've ever skied and I can't imagine turning down the chance to ski it because I was afraid I'd lose a little p-tex.

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think this classic is appropriate here: "The problem with Jackson Hole is we got 10 foot rocks. And the best skiing is around the rocks. So I always hit rocks."

PS Adam, sorry if I had anything to with your being where that happened. I try to hop over or go around any rocks I can see, but I'm not going to avoid fun looking terrain just because I'm worried about my skis...skis are for skiing. It It could be worse if you join me at Sugarbush or Mad River.
It’s 100% on me. I was following you guys a bit too close and had to pretty much throw my skis sideways at a choke point next to a boulder. The ski continued its forward motion a bit and banged into the rock. It wasn’t a particularly hard hit so I didn’t think anything of it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah, still remember skiing one of the chutes at Big Sky and getting a coreshot. Veered up to the ridge that separates two chutes. The snow was whiter and untracked. Amazing u tracked! After a few incredible turns I felt a drag on one ski then heard the click of it coming off. At Big Sky there’s a reason you don’t see tracks in some places. Hard to resist though sometimes.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Hah, still remember skiing one of the chutes at Big Sky and getting a coreshot. Veered up to the ridge that separates two chutes. The snow was whiter and untracked. Amazing u tracked! After a few incredible turns I felt a drag on one ski then heard the click of it coming off. At Big Sky there’s a reason you don’t see tracks in some places. Hard to resist though sometimes.

That is how I earned these gouges on my Bent Chettlers.

20170101_201924_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

And this chunk out of my sidewall.

20161226_084428_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

Both skis are in service and providing tons of fun.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Eh, you can be in the middle of a groomer in the Mid-Atlantic and get those. And they percolate to the top with every groomer run after a freeze/thaw cycle, just like Brazil nuts in a mixed nuts tin. About the only way to avoid them is to ski completely solid coral reef.

"Little" - 1/2" to 2" across. I'm not even going to try cataloguing the 1/4" or less hits.

With the MadRussian skis I simply don't care - there is no way I can prang the skis and there is no way to punch/distort the black locust sidewalls.

Not the same thing at all. You have to experience the sharp rockiness of the top of Big Sky to understand it. Even on really high snow pack years I don't think all the rocks get covered up at the top. They are more like shark teeth, tearing your skis up if you go in the wrong place.

I have never experienced anything like them here on the mid-Atlantic.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They are more like shark teeth, tearing your skis up if you go in the wrong place.

The traverse into the Cirque at Snowbird always has exposed rocks that have been uncovered by the wind. But they are mostly dull, rounded rocks. I agree Big Sky rocks are sharp.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

I was interested to see this guys file, does anyone think it is very course to do side edges and to go straight to gummy from such a course tool?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was interested to see this guys file, does anyone think it is very course to do side edges and to go straight to gummy from such a course tool?

he's mostly taking off sidewall at that point, and the pansar is exactly the right tool for that.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
he's mostly taking off sidewall at that point, and the pansar is exactly the right tool for that.
He said that he was holding at 3 (freehand) degrees so it had to hit side edge and most side edge tools are a lot finer. People here use diamond stones on their side edge and they are very fine as well as some of the tools use ceramic stones that are also very fine. That is why I thought the file was too course.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
He said that he was holding at 3 (freehand) degrees so it had to hit side edge and most side edge tools are a lot finer. People here use diamond stones on their side edge and they are very fine as well as some of the tools use ceramic stones that are also very fine. That is why I thought the file was too course.

That's exactly the point of the videos - Doug Coombs didn't bother with any of that. He took off both sidewall and edge until he got to fresh edge and went out and skied it.

People love citing those videos as ironic tuning examples except a) they don't ski like Doug Coombs b) they don't get free skis.

Sponsor