• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was unpacking my skis and noticed I had done some damage when I had banged my tip into a rock at the gathering. I know I need to seal it up to keep water out but should I try to straighten the bend and flatten the p-tex first?
IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Flatten the edge into the plane of the base by bending it with grippy tools (pliers, wrench, vice grips), but do not try to straighten it to match the curve of the tip. It will break.

File or scrape off the excess base that has puckered up.

Build a dam with tape and flood the void making sure epoxy flows all the way into any gaps. You can warm the epoxy before you mix it to make it more fluid; this helps it to flow into the deepest voids.

Finish by filing the shape back to original. File the edge to match the p-tex if it didn't hold the bending back into shape sufficiently to not be 'proud'.

91651-8ebf244976e520d87a885cfe74883bfd.jpg

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
You didn’t do that skiing with me , I never go to those spots
I would try using a hammer and dolly to shape that edge if possible, a little heat may help ( low temperature on heat gun ) I don’t think the edge will break but Doug has way more experience than me , slow and steady reshaping than epoxy , clamp , cure and sand to best shape you can. Good luck , post results

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You didn’t do that skiing with me , I never go to those spots
I would try using a hammer and dolly to shape that edge if possible, a little heat may help ( low temperature on heat gun ) I don’t think the edge will break but Doug has way more experience than me , slow and steady reshaping than epoxy , clamp , cure and sand to best shape you can. Good luck , post results
You see why I don't want a pair of Stocklis. :roflmao:

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I took a small c clamp from my ski tuning tools and, with a little finesse, worked it back into shape. I filed the metal and scraped the p-tex smooth with a razor blade held at a 90 degree angle scraping back and forth quickly. It was a bit tedious but I'm happy with the results. I even smoothed out the base weld I had done in JH. I still need to seal up the edge.
IMG_0730.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0732.jpg
IMG_0735.jpg

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nicely done!
Thank you. In full disclosure I've got about 3 decades of carpentry experience so this kind of stuff is pretty routine to me. I have done almost everything on my own house myself(plumbing, electrical, etc.) For some reason I felt I should let the "professionals" work on my ski equipment. Recent experiences have me wanting to take matters into my own hands.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I took a small c clamp from my ski tuning tools and, with a little finesse, worked it back into shape. I filed the metal and scraped the p-tex smooth with a razor blade held at a 90 degree angle scraping back and forth quickly. It was a bit tedious but I'm happy with the results. I even smoothed out the base weld I had done in JH. I still need to seal up the edge.
View attachment 95502 View attachment 95505 View attachment 95503 View attachment 95504
Fill , Sand , good tune , good as new

Reactions: Ogg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 95502 View attachment 95505 View attachment 95503 View attachment 95504
Its almost too good. You've wasted a perfect excuse for a new pair. :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
JH can be a tough on skis. Second only to Big Sky and Red Lodge ("Rock Dodge") IMO.

I hit this year during a snow cycle, on an already big year, and my "A" skis survived darn well!

Some of the worst culprits:

Alta 1 "throat"
Alta 2 and 3 lower portions
Hobacks main entrance
Bird in the Hand
Expert Chutes

But......worth it in spades IMO!