• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Baselayer Body Suite: Icebreaker vs Ninja Suit

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Am doing some light reading on these two products, trying to decide which to go for. The Icebreaker is about 95% merino, whereas the Ninja merino suit is I think 55% merino. They're about the same cost.

Ninja also makes a non-merino that's about $120.

What are your thoughts, if you've tried one or both?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not a fan of union suits. Union suits are warm, but make answering nature's call challenging if you need to pop a squat.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a fan of union suits. Union suits are warm, but make answering nature's call challenging if you need to pop a squat.
Nothing is easy in ski gear but...or butt...
94220_alt_02.jpg

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier

Both of these options have waist zippers so you easily drop trou

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 2nd fiber in the Merino Ninja is Tencel, which is super similar to wool since it’s wicking/quick drying/breatheable - which retains the same anti-stink qualities of wool. It also has a softer hand-feel and drapes nicely. Both are pretty sustainable/biodegradable, but that also means you want to use a gentle detergent like Woolite instead of your basic Tide. Tencel is unique in that it helps wool have a cooler feel against the skin. If you run hot, the Airblaster would have an edge. Tencel is also really expensive, so while the cost of merino is skyrocketing with the droughts in NZ, the price isn’t crazy.

The non-merino poly seems pricey for the fabrication, but probably runs a touch warmer and you can wash it just about any way you want and it’ll last an eon.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
So what's the advantage of the Merino over the poly, just stink prevention?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a bit subjective about the fabric weight, but at the same weight, polyester will be warmer. It's not as absorptive as wool fibers, so it doesn't tend to wick quite as well (some knitting techniques are better than others). Polyester also tends to be less breatheable (unless we're talking about a porous fleece).

Merino is a better choice for regulating temperature. If you sweat like mad on the downhill and ice over on the lift ride, reach for Merino/Tencel. Polyester is a better choice for those of us who keep a puffy at the office. Year round.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
It's a bit subjective about the fabric weight, but at the same weight, polyester will be warmer. It's not as absorptive as wool fibers, so it doesn't tend to wick quite as well (some knitting techniques are better than others). Polyester also tends to be less breatheable (unless we're talking about a porous fleece).

Merino is a better choice for regulating temperature. If you sweat like mad on the downhill and ice over on the lift ride, reach for Merino/Tencel. Polyester is a better choice for those of us who keep a puffy at the office. Year round.

Thanks very much! Am I wrong to guess you work in textiles in some capacity?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I have the icebreaker I got for a killer deal. I'd absolutely buy it again even if it was nearly full MSRP. It doesn't get stinky, flexibility is plenty good and the large fits my 6' 180lb body just fine and no drafts!

Releasing fluids is no big deal, quite easy. Solids are not like a two piece setup, but totally doable.

On cold days, I'll never be without one again.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The union suit trap door with buttons or zippers are poop catchers if you need to squat al fresco, but to each their own.
Try it with hunting waders on!:poo:

Sponsor

Staff online