• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Base Protection Tape While Edge Tuning -- Special Purpose vs Blue Painter's Masking Tape?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Based on what @Atomicman wrote, I guess I'm talking about different "painter's tape". Over here, it's not blue, even though I saw (very rarely) some blue versions too, but yellow, and as I wrote, it's exactly same as "base tape", except lot cheaper.
Correct...different stuff.

TS
J

jkalucki

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Based on what @Atomicman wrote, I guess I'm talking about different "painter's tape". Over here, it's not blue, even though I saw (very rarely) some blue versions too, but yellow, and as I wrote, it's exactly same as "base tape", except lot cheaper.

Generally the color of masking tape gives an indication to the adhesion expectations. Yellow manilla tape is the cheapest, but has the hardest to remove glue, and, if left for enough time, can become really tough to remove. Blue comes in several grades of adhesion, but the 'medium' hardware store stuff seems to come off Ptex just fine and is easy enough to apply. I can use one piece of tape for several skis before it won't stick well enough,

There's all sorts of stuff available from 3M, if you want to geek out on tape: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/626675O/3mtm-masking-tapes-competitive-matrix.pdf. It looks like the gold color 2460 would be the best for the application, but, I dunno, I think I'm OK with the blue stuff.

James

Out There
Instructor
Metal isn't embedded it scratches the base.
I’ve had it embedded. You can get it out, but often not with a brush. I think it’s usually chips from metal top sheet.

One could try 3m Precision Polyvinyl tape. Haven’t tried it, but it’s also ripable by design and isn’t paper. Looks like it’s usually sold in cases. But:

The 3m Fine Line stuff is really, really good, for spray painting, but likely very expensive in 1 1/2 inch sizes. Made for taping off car painting areas.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One could try 3m Precision Polyvinyl tape. Haven’t tried it, but it’s also ripable by design and isn’t paper. Looks like it’s usually sold in cases. But:
That looks similar to the "premium" painter's tape I used last time. Sold in the hardware store by the paint. Some sort of plastic, naturally rips cleanly across the width. It is more expensive than the traditional paper, but not by a lot.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
In Europe, as well as traditional paper painter's tape there are also PVC and PE painter's tapes http://www.bautec-hoefer.de/epages/...ps/62020944/Categories/KIP-Start/Schutzbander Paper tape is used to stop wax dripping onto the bindings and PVC tape is used for protecting the bases when filing. Both types use low tack adhesive which ensures that no residue is left when it is peeled off. The PVC tape comes in a range of thicknesses, some are too thick for use on ski bases. You might find something suitable at a better price if you Google for Low Tack Protection Tape.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Every hardware store has low tack blue masking tape. Lowes has 3m and cheaper blue hawk. 3m doesn't tear too easily unless it's old in which case throw it away.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Those of you who are devotees of this stuff. Are you using it only when you file? Or every time you take a stone to the skis? Generally I can SEE my filings, but not necessarily the metal dust from polishing. Since I'm brushing (with a paint brush) the ski every pass with the file or wiping after each pass with the stone, I haven't been bothering with tape. When I've had filings get pressed into the base, I've usually seen them. (Very rarely, and then of course started scratching at them.) But I know it's unlikely I'd see metal dust.

The few times I've used the tape it's generated a lot of trash and I felt it was difficult to apply without wrinkles and was causing a difference between how the bevel guide contacted the side of the ski with it there and without it. Ergo, lots of hassle for not much gain.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I guess I need to take a photo of my tape. :cool:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
If I'm feeling lazy I put a piece of masking tape on the bottom of my file guide to help protect the bases.
Taping during filing is not at all necessary but is good practice with expensive skis used for racing.
When you are going for that extra .05 seconds it is part of the obsessive ski prep that will get you there.
One bad turn and it is all for naught.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
When you are going for that extra .05 seconds it is part of the obsessive ski prep that will get you there.
One bad turn and it is all for naught.
That's one thing most of people don't get. Skis don't matter all that much as someone might thing in alpine racing. There's no ski that would make you 0.5sec or 1sec faster or slower, but there's a single turn that can make you 1sec faster... or slower :)

James

Out There
Instructor
That's one thing most of people don't get. Skis don't matter all that much as someone might thing in alpine racing. There's no ski that would make you 0.5sec or 1sec faster or slower, but there's a single turn that can make you 1sec faster... or slower :)
Any idea what happened with Tommy Ford’s “equipment” run 2 of Adelboden gs?

James

Out There
Instructor
Tommy Ford was DNF1 in Adelboden?
Yes, your right. Maybe it was Alta Badia. +0.5 1st run, 14th!, and second run he had issues. There was talk on some race about a wrong setup run2.

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
Would something like this work? It's static tape. It's that plastic film that usually covers displays on new products, you need to removed.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Would something like this work? It's static tape. It's that plastic film that usually covers displays on new products, you need to removed.

For base tape? 0.07mm (just under 3mils) thickness is a ~1 degree error on a 2mm wide edge.

With the clamps you ordered and the FK/SKS multitool you don't need the base tape for side edge work - just turn the ski edge up towards you.

Last edited:

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
For base tape? 0.07mm (just under 3mils) thickness is a ~1 degree error on a 2mm wide edge.

With the clamps you ordered and the FK/SKS multitool you don't need the base tape for side edge work - just turn the ski edge up towards you.

I'm looking for for down the road.. It'ls looking like I'll probably get some fixed angle stuff.. Not sure if it will be soon or in the fall, but I'm going to be changing over.

Juha

Booting up
Skier
Hello fellow skiheads,

I have never felt a need to use tape to protect the bases. Never had any issues either, but I only sharpen my skis with diamond 'files' and fixed angle guides. The skis are mostly FIS Slalom skis, so I would be careful not to scratch them if I saw that happening.

Maybe this is an issue of using file when not really needed. Personally I only use file to set correct angles and after that I do all sharpening with diamond sharpeners. Most FIS skis and especially coded ones have quite thin edges to start with so why to waste the edges with a file when diamond does it just fine. I use the diamond sharpener to give the skis a quick sharpening before every practice. Sometimes when lazy only for every 2nd time, but no file needed.