• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Bariloche, Argentina, Hut-to-Hut

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I am a very infrequent consumer of alcoholic beverages. But, as I write this, I am having a beer. Rather than dwell on the reason why, I’ll just move on. If, at the end of the trip, I even remember the circumstances that lead me to this, I’ll pass it along.

Today, I departed for Bariloche, more accurately San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina to join a hut-to-hut tour in the BC of Cerro Catedral and, in this first post, I just want to offer up some background and set the scene. It will be my first multi-day tour in the backcountry. I am not one who would call myself an outdoorsman. Sure, I’ve done my share of outdoors activities - bike tours, rafting tours. Yeah, I’ve slept on a boat, but not offshore or in any waters with swells. I’ve even gone camping, the kind where power and water are available at the assigned site. Oh yeah, almost forgot the honeymoon, a trek; but, we had porters. This tour, there are two huts, one with power, one without; and no porters. How did I get here?

Five years ago, I got my taste of off-resort skiing, not including Nordic skiing of course, in Hakuba, Japan, doing some sidecountry tours. The tour operator also runs backcountry tours, which was, to me, a curiosity, though an interesting curiosity. Each day, if there were new guest in the group, we would do an intro to avalanche search and rescue. As it so happens, the tour operator also gives avalanche courses. So, three years ago, I did their AST-1, Companion Rescue, and AST-2 courses, figuring that, though not required, I would be better qualified to do their backcountry tours. For each of the course, I rented touring skis with frame bindings, and used my alpine boots. We rode lifts to the top and, from there, hiked up into the near-BC. My mindset was that it would be cool not to be limited to just a resort, but to also be able to access the resort's sidecountry, when I head out from The hotel or The apartment each day.

Then, two summers ago, no, now three summers ago, I signed up for a 7-Lakes tour out of Bariloche. Great tour and, by now, I had gotten touring boots. Still rented the skis though. The guide and I had some hopes of doing some touring, but it turned out other guests were only doing alpine. Luckily for me, I arrived a day early, and I engaged a local guide to show me around Cerro Catedral, both on-piste and off. In one of our laps, we headed up to the top, above the resort. Peering over, I see a valley, needled peaks… and a hut. In past, I would look at this view and marvel at its beauty. I did that, but I now also looked at the skiing possibilities. Gee, we can go down this chute now, the one with an elbow below, so I can’t see what is further down (you know what I mean and where I’m at), cross the valley, and be at the hut. Gee, that’s a nice gentle skin up to some steeper runs. Gee, what’s beyond the next peaks? The guide tells me there is another hut, Jakob hut, and that they do hut-to-hut tours. The hook was set, and here I am. This is the tour,

https://www.andescross.com/trips/backcountry-ski-touring-hut-to-hut-traverse-in-patagonia/

OK, maybe it’s not just gentle skin-ups (is it called skin-ups?), though I am told that we will go at the pace that all can accommodate. I am being asked to carry boot crampons and ice axe. Luckily for me, and with some anticipation of eventually doing this type of thing, I did an intro to ice climbing last winter. Pretty easy actually, and a lot of fun, like climbing a ladder that you set as you climb, until you get into more serious stuff of course, which I don’t plan to do.

So, what’s happened so far? I am writing this from AEP, the domestic airport and I am checked into my flight to Bariloche, waiting to hear what the gate will be. The beer is now consumed; I feel much better now. I transferred from EZE, the international airport, by bus, for a fare of USD14. How do I know? I converted the AR520 by dividing by 37. What?! AR37 to USD1. Two summers ago, no three summers ago, two years ago, it was AR17 to USD1. I’m not saying that the bus fare hasn’t inflated with the weakened AR; I’m just saying I wanted to know what I paid and, in the process, discovered what an AR is worth, in USD. Woah! Did I bring way too much, cash? Given my recent experience, now softened by the beer, I ought to focus on the departing flight. So, let’s just start the trip report with this, just to set the scene.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol. I've travelled to Argentina a few times (actually I'm from there but moved away when I was three years old). Every time I've been there, the currency situation has been different and an adjustment.
I hope you found a beer other than Quilmes to drink. Have a great trip, and I'm looking forward to the reports too!

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I actually returned home eight days ago. Since there was no cell service in the backcountry, daily updates, even short ones, were impossible. And, I was entirely exhausted upon returning home, in a good way, to write. Anyhow, I also had to wait for other photos from others in the group. Here we go, my first TR of a ski trip.

Getting there was simple. Non-stop flight from Newark to Buenos Aires (EZE). Very efficient transit on a bus from EZE to the domestic airport, AEP, followed by a flight to Bariloche (BRC). The only hiccup I encountered was security at AEP, to board the flight to BRC. They would not allow me to bring aboard my collapsible ski poles. That has never ever happened, not even in a prior trip to BRC two summers ago. And, they only stopped me for a closer inspection of my bag because x-ray showed a pointy screw; which we never found. I missed my flight. Had to re-book for a later flight, costing me about $90. The good news is that this cheapest option was a business class ticket; economy would have been more. The bad news is that my arrival into EZE was almost an hour early, as was my arrival by bus at AEP, I paid $180 to take a flight departing about 2-1/2 hours earlier than originally scheduled. After all that, I ended up on the original flight. Good thing the Peso is now about 40 per USD, rather than 20.

Arrival dinner was amazing. Steak, sweetbread, sausages, cheese and for me, since I am staying away from red meats and cheeses, roasted butterflied chicken. Amazing chicken. It was a hit and I had leftovers to take with me on our first day out. Best restaurant I've been to in the two times I've been in Bariloche; named Alto el Fuego.

FullSizeRender 46.jpg

The following day, a few runs at Cerro Catedral resort, then we are off to Refugio Frey, skinning, hiking with ski boot crampons, skiing, maybe (5-6 hours?). Dormer in the attic that accommodates 40; baño in separate building; good food, great pizza. Skied around Frey a couple of days, then onwards to Refugio Jakob, 8 hours, should have been 6, but I admit it; I am slow. But, we did take a longer route, I think, on account of snow conditions. Skinning, with and without ski crampons; boot packing; walking over rocks and hardpack with boot crampons; skiing. Ice axes really as walking canes, and as if-needed self-arrest tool, on traverses across steeper slopes. Weather delayed our departure from Frey by one day, so we skied around Jakob one day. The original Jakob was destroyed in a fire. What is there now is a modernized, yet still rustic hut; rooms with four bunk beds each; in-hut baño; fantastic food (shepard's pie made with chunks of lamb, not ground beef). Then, it was a 16 km hike out, down through the valley.

Five clients, lead guide, and tail guide. Our guides busted their S's to make it a successful trip. First day, broken ski. Our tail guide hikes out from Frey next morning, picks up another pair of skis and returns that afternoon. The first attempt to Jakob, I had a pretty tough time skinning and bootpacking the steep section to the ridge exiting Frey area. The next day, on the second attempt, I open my pack before we leave. Where'd my sleeping bag go? Jorge had extracted it from my backpack and had passed it to Jose to carry. In a traverse of rock, with boot crampons on, skis on shoulders (nimbleness and strong core desirable), my skis were taken from me (good 'ol wood skis with frame bindings; absolutely the wrong choice). Jorge and Jose each took one and boom, boom, boom, they were across. Me, I am walking across, using both ski poles like they are canes. All of that, I think, is way above the call of duty on a trip like this. But, it made the difference between success and failure, fun and exceeding hardship.

Snow conditions were everything. Hardpack, corn, stiffiened corn, and, courtesy of Jorge's guiding, South American southern aspects and the shade of towering rock formations, powder stashes on warm Spring days. Great skiing. OK, let's get to it.

The tour,

https://www.andescross.com/trips/backcountry-ski-touring-hut-to-hut-traverse-in-patagonia/

Our lead guide, Jorge Kozulj

https://www.andescross.com/what-is-uiagm-mountain-guides/

and his full CV,

https://www.andescross.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/curriculum-Jorge-Kozulj.pdf

The clients: Five men, all traveling solo, ranging from 20's to early 60's (me). London, Vancouver, Boston, Washington DC, and ... New Jersey (me). All are good skiers. Some are more fit, some are less fit (me).

Gear: 40-45 liter backpacks with sleeping bag, no change of base layers and socks, water bottle (yes, with water), beacon, shovel, probe, energy bars and snacks, Skis, ski crampons, ski-boot-crampons, ice axe, ski poles, sunglasses, goggles, sunblock, lip balm, duct tape. Helmet optional. I'm sure I missed something. Headlight. Light carbon skis with tech bindings, or wood skis with frame bindings (me). Hell, go to the gear list at the Andescross website.

The location, using FATMAP,

IMG_0801.PNG

Where we skied around Frey,

IMG_0799.PNG

Where we skied around Jakob,

IMG_0792.PNG

What's a Photo point and a Video point? I am not ashamed to say that I did perhaps half the vertical than the younger guys (everyone else). I took photos and videos from a valley as they went for another lap; I took them from ridges as they went down the opposite side and came back; I took them from part way up (ok, almost to the top), of them skiing down to me and away from me. I had a lot of fun. In fact, I would love joining any intrepid group as their photographer. So, I'm good; don't cry for me, Argentina.

To the meet of it; meet our guides,

Watch the slideshow, accompanied with Magia, by Gustavo Cerati, an well-loved Argentinian musician whose music was played at Frey.

Remember the day, our last day, before heading down-valley,

Should you go, or not go, that is not the question. Whether to return or not...

More music by Gustavo Cerati:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What an amazing trip and memories for a lifetime. Good for you!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Nice trip report. It sounds like you had great guides and fun conditions. I'm really curious about:

good 'ol wood skis with frame bindings; absolutely the wrong choice

Would you care to elaborate?

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Would you care to elaborate?

Ranger 84's. which were only sold outside NA, with Fischer (Tyrolia) frame bindings. No metal layers.

http://www.snowfit.co.uk/fischer-ranger-84.html

http://www.snowfit.co.uk/tyrolia-ambition-12-at.html

Wrong ski-weight to stiffness ratio, I think. I love the set-up for simple day outings in the East. But, with my weight, with the heavy backpack, is much higher and I don't think it was the right ski. But, I had other problems, like my unfamiliarity with skiing with that much weight on me. Still, I think other skis would be both lighter and stiffer. On the other hand, I didn't want to buy another pair of skis and bindings. My other setup is a stiff 108 carbon with pin binding, but I thought 108 would be too wide for snow conditions that would range from hardpack to corn to shallow powder. I did appreciate not having to take my skis off to transition the bindings from touring mode to ski mode, when wanting to skate across flats or herring bone up an incline. Maybe the Ambition 12 bindings on a 85 to 98 carbon ski would be a good choice if I want to do more of this type of touring.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
good 'ol wood skis with frame bindings; absolutely the wrong choice

Ranger 84's. which were only sold outside NA, with Fischer (Tyrolia) frame bindings. No metal layers....

I was envisioning something like this:

wood skis with frame bindings.jpg

:beercheer:

Edit: I just realized I 'mounted' these a bit far forward!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like a great trip, with a good variety of the different aspects of ski-touring/winter mountain travel.

Well written too, very easy to read. Thanks!

And regarding the part of “doing fewer laps than some others”, as long as you are fit enough to safely accomplish the required route, and are out enjoying the mountains, who cares?
Unless you are Aaron Rice*, there will allways be someone else out there skiing more than you.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Unless you are Aaron Rice*, there will allways be someone else out there skiing more than you.

Woah! That's feet, 2,500,000 feet in a year! Amazing.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like a great trip, with a good variety of the different aspects of ski-touring/winter mountain travel.

Well written too, very easy to read. Thanks!

And regarding the part of “doing fewer laps than some others”, as long as you are fit enough to safely accomplish the required route, and are out enjoying the mountains, who cares?

Fantastic flick! Insane.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I’ve been meaning to post what I think of going to Frey without a guide. First, it is very accessible without a ski traverse. @SkiFiore points us to an article here,

https://www.pugski.com/posts/254587/

While at Frey, I had the pleasure of meeting folks who had hiked in. One couple was an Argentinian, who lives in Japan, and his Japanese wife. They were at the hut a few days, hanging out, using its kitchen to prepare some of their own meals, snowshoeing. One man, a Swiss who has made Brazil his home, hiked up on his own. He’s a photographer by profession; was there just for the day, took photos, had lunch, hiked back down same day. A Romanian couple hiked in, camped outside, prepared their own meals outdoors. One guy from Utah found a kindred spirit in town, hiked in, stayed at the hut, and did day tours out of the hut. Point being, it is very doable, getting to the hut, for the day, hooking up with others for day outings. And, in the Spring, practically no avalanche hazard. Later in the Spring, but as always, one must be wary of thin ice over frozen lakes.

Onwards from Frey to Jakob, that’s more technical and requires more planning. Quite easy if one knows what one is doing. Me, I’m not experienced enough and ready for all the possible eventualities. So, for that, I would for-sure need a guide. That young crew from Telluride, growing up in the outdoors, the traverse was a piece of cake.