• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Thanks @DanoT. I see new snow is predicted for Sat-Mon, the three days we will be at Mustang. After Mustang, we are planning on a day at Kicking Horse, then two days each at Fernie and Castle.

Sorry I'll be missing you and everyone at the Gathering, but it would have required me driving from Fernie to Bozeman after skiing and then my wife and I would have arrived WY (after a day at Big Sky) on day that everyone if planning on Targhee and we'd be at JHMR since we have free days to use there.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Mike.
We will arrive on Sat. evening and plan to drive to Banff the following morning. Is there a Costco on the way from Calgary airport to Banff?
I have not seen spring pass info posted on skibig3 website. In past seasons, do you know when it starts and how much it costs approx?

Yes, there are Costcos on the way (sort of), depending on the route. There are a couple near the airport, and one off the ring road.

Unfortunately, Big 3 does not offer the spring pass. Sunshine and Louise do, but they are separate, so you would need to choose. Louise's are on sale now, but unfortunately the spring season doesn't start until March 1. Sunshine's starts mid-march. Maybe not much help.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I think there were hot water dispensers in lodge at base of Goats Eye. I know there were cold water dispensers and microwaves.

We had a great day today at Sunshine. Yesterday and today were probably the sunniest days I’ve ever experienced in the Great Grey North. It was also at least 20F which is warm for Sunshine. There was some wind early, but it seemed to go away in PM.

We rode Angel, then new Tee Pee once each to warm up, then Divide 4x, two groomers on either side of big jumps they are building, then Bye Bye Bowl with great views of surrounding mountains and then we exited the top using Delirium Dive. Getting into it was easier than my only other time on it and most of the middle was good, but snow was wind-crusted and mostly treacherous on exit to skiers left.

We spent the rest of the day on Goats Eye alternating between great steep groomers and decently covered South Side Chutes. We also braved the Wild West twice, first skiing Peyto’s where top was good, but exit required carefully dropping off rocky steep into a gully that that was almost too narrow to sideslip for at least 100 feet. It was much better where it opened up, but probably the nastiest I’ve ever done. We ended our day skiing Wheeler’s which was comparatively easy, but was sustained steep for probably 2,000’ vertical and required navigating around a couple of rocky areas.

Drive from Sunshine to Revy was bad for such a nice day with about a 45 min. stop before Golden where a truck was on its side, then two shorter delays past Rogers Pass for avalanche control/cleanup. Two pictures of Tony Crocker skiing Sunshine follow. First is exiting Peytos. Second is in one of the South Side Chutes.
. 5290C329-4C4A-4170-8682-138C5DFF9986.jpeg
F96D47DB-616A-4A84-A38D-A9822E571E59.jpeg

Last edited:

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Could someone tell me where exactly the hot water dispensers are located?
At SS the hot water dispensers are by the microwaves in the daylodge (upper floor) as you go up the stairs turn right and they are along that wall.

At LL: The whiskeyjack side (older side lodge -the lodge on the left as you first arrive at LL - upstairs...(mens bathroooms and guest services etc on lower floor) you enter the lodge you’ll see the cafeteria on your left... follow that wall and the dispensers and microwaves are there.

At either SS and LL you can get hot water for free from the dispensers in the cafeterias. I’ve always had my own cup... or rehydrating instant noodles...Never had an issue. Even the coffee places at main or backside lodges have given me water too.

Lilia

Putting on skis
Skier
At Lake Louise, I definitely wanted to try out the Summit Platter once, as I never experienced any t-bar type lifts.

It took me may be 5-7 attempts to finally be able to let myself be carried by that lift. The platter kept turning to the side as soon as I got onto it, and I found myself on the snow. I thought, it might have been because I grabbed the metal wire to hold on it, and made it to turn to the side that way. My successful try was when I placed both hands on the wire, with one hand preventing it to turn to the right, and the other hand preventing the same to the left :) I made sure I don't move during that ride, and was holding for my life :) especially horrifying was to see the ropes and to read a sign further up that if you fall down at that point, hold on the ropes. Meaning, otherwise you will be sliding down really fast. I was so relieved to manage it to the top!

A few pictures from the top of the Platter:

plat1.JPG plat2.JPG plat3.JPG

Attachments

• 20200225_132345.jpg
    20200225_132345.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A bunch of us are heading to Banff on /Saturday for a week. If anyone else is around, Lets do some turns

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.