• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bands/singers that never really floated your boat

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:roflmao:
My wife remembered. It was Blood, Sweat and Tears.
I just went to wikipedia and counted. They had 55 members before 1980....
...and 84 since then.

Well, I suppose the New York Philharmonic has had about that many, and nobody calls them a tribute band.

"And when I die
and when I'm dead, dead and gone,
There'll be one child 84 children born and
a world to carry on"

Reactions: mdf

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I lived in Southern California from 1963 to 1966 at a time and place where the Beach Boys rivaled the Beatles and received just as much air play. But I hadn't listened to them in decades until I saw the Brian Wilson bio pic Love and Mercy about 4 years ago. I listened to them a lot and also saw them in concert at that same time. They had a bunch of talented younger guys backing them and smoothing things over and I really enjoyed the concert as a big dose of friendly nostalgia. Pet Sounds is great, but this is my personal favorite by the Beach Boys:
Brian got his inspiration for this from Phil Spector’s production of Be My Baby. Don’t Worry Baby supposedly blew away a lot of the contemporaries of Brian Wilson

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I suppose the New York Philharmonic has had about that many, and nobody calls them a tribute band.
Aww c'mon. They're clearly just a cover band. When's the last time they played something that someone else didn't write?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...and 84 since then.

A former associate of mine lived next door to Al Kooper in Somerville. He has a lot of crazy stories.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Peter Frampton. Liked him in Humble Pie, but Comes Alive: yawn.
Not many thought "Comes Alive" was a yawn, it was the largest selling Live Album for years and not sure if anyone has broken that record.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...and 84 since then.

A former associate of mine lived next door to Al Kooper in Somerville. He has a lot of crazy stories.
When I was growing up in the Poconos we had an antique shop. My mother became friends with Jerry Hyman who also had an antique shop. I remember going to his house in South Sterling and got a tour through his music room. I never saw as many albums before in my life. Turns out he was the trumbone player from Blood Sweat and Tears.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone mentioned Oasis? I know they were loved by many, but at the end of the day , I felt they really didn't bring anything new to the table.

OMG! I didn’t even think of them. Imo they are one of the most overrated, derivative, whiny crap bands ever.

2 great riff/hooktastic albums to start with albeit heavily influenced by the Beatles then got carried away by their own egos. Some of Noel's High Flying Birds stuff recently is a return to great hooks.

At the time Oasis was big I had to listen to a co-worker telling me regularly that they were better than the Beatles. I wanted to shake her by the shoulders to knock some sense into her.

Uncle-A

Skier
...and 84 since then.

I seem to think David Clayton Thomas was the lead singer for the band but could not name any other member.

Uncle-A

Skier
Someone talked about Disco earlier and it was not my favorite, but a lot of the women thought it was good and it did bring dancing back. Could not dance much to classic rock and not to any Metal bands.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Somehow, I think I'll be driving solo...

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
When I was about 13yo friends & I would go to a small venue in South Lake Tahoe called the Funhouse where a lot of the yet to be famous SF bay area bands would play during the summer...
Beena fan ever since & both Steve & Boz are still going strong & still playing Tahoe.

Right around this era, maybe only a couple of months later...
Not familiar with that Stevie Miller live album but it's album cover shows "Carousel Ballroom" that is better known as Bill Graham's Filmore West. Might have actually been there, will need to do some searching. Saw many many shows there into 1971 before that closed and he moved concerts to Winterland. Had 3 or 4 touring acts 4 or 5 nights a week till 2am, $5 to get in haha. Miller was frequently billed as we're other SF bands. Those were the days. And unlike years later, a lot of us that could danced in the haze.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Someone talked about Disco earlier and it was not my favorite, but a lot of the women thought it was good and it did bring dancing back. Could not dance much to classic rock and not to any Metal bands.
Heavy metal is the only music I'm good at dancing to. If you haven't been to a concert in years, as I discovered when my daughter enticed me to go to Heavy Montreal half a dozen years ago after abstaining from concerts for a couple of decades, they now have a dance floor right in front of the stage! No skill required, just quick reflexes, good balance, and a liking for physical contact. They call it a mosh pit.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
So.....if we take every band that "doesn't float your boat" on this thread, there isn't much music left to listen to, which just shows how personal music can be.

Well, that is why I followed that up with "I know they're done, but it hasn't been that long".

As an ex-rock and roll drummer, I have the obligatory Peart drum stick around here somewhere......

Oh, NOW we're drilling down to the real truths!

So -- disco. I like a lot of it, in small doses. I probably hated it during its prime time because I was a young man then, and we were mostly required to hate it, or your Man Card was revoked......at least where I grew up.
Disco...hah...I had the big ol platforms with goldfish in the heels. I was very cool.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Aerosmith
Queen
Pink Floyd

Queen -- to their credit -- accidentally wrote one or two songs that don't make you jump off the nearest bridge. The others I listed are hopeless.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I't rather keep this to my negatives...more fun and there are a lot of bands that do not float my boat.

Yes and pretty much any prog rock
Kanye West
Any Death Metal
Robert Randolph Family Band -/ dude can play but always overplays
Arcadia - one beat wonders
The Lumineers - good singer with catchy tunes but no musicanship in that band
Billy Joel doesn't float my boat though I have floated mine by is house

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I see no-one has argued pro Coldplay or Ed Sheeran yet. The two most inexplicably popular acts in the world
I am a fan of Coldplay, but I also have a teenager (just turned) in the house who listened to them a lot in the past few years.
I have a fondness for a lot of the bands mentioned because my brother would listen to them (he's 6 years older than me) so I became familiar. Boston comes to mind. My mom listened to Cat Stevens and the Beatles a lot.

But, there's something about the bands that became big while I was in college that I don't listen to a ton anymore, I still am a huge fan-Pearl Jam, Soundgarden/Chris Cornell (who was a huge talent-RIP.) Just like any others, there are quite a few songs I skip over on an album. Except Pearl Jam Ten. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it now, though.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a fan of Coldplay, but I also have a teenager (just turned) in the house who listened to them a lot in the past few years.
That sounds about right to me assuming he/she is listening to the older Coldplay ... when I was a teenager, popular music seemed to be both current pop/rock at the time, and older rock (10-20 years old... early 70's to early 80's in my case - Boston, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Queen, etc.) For a teen now, Coldplay is in that vein I guess. Since they're still around, probably more like AC/DC or Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones in my case - that were still releasing popular albums when I was a teen.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I couldn't stand disco....until I learned to dance hustle. Now I get it...it's not music to actually listen to LOL

Sponsor

Staff online