• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bands/singers that never really floated your boat

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We all have our favorite bands/singers that we really like. But what about the ones that, for whatever reason, never struck a chord (see what I did there?) with you even though everyone else seems to love them. For me:

Rolling Stones-I do like some of their songs but never really got what others seem to dig.

Fleetwood Mac-I think it goes back to 1977 when Rumours got Album of the Year over Hotel California. Also, I never could understand what Stevie Nicks was saying. One wing dove? White wing dove? Once a dove?

Jimi Hendrix-I get that he was a guitar hero but I just never got into it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The Eagles

Anything new jack swing

Quite a lot of country but never Cash

Coldplay

Ed Sheeran

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To help refresh my failing memory I went to this list: https://www.whenitwascool.com/100-greatest-rock-and-roll-artists-of-all-time

Of course, all of our replies are going to be a factor of our age, background and when we were really paying attention to new music. As a geezer I'm not going to have much to say about Taylor Swift, Britney Spears or even Jay-Z.

Boat sinkers: Madonna (yuck), Queen (this may be sacrilegious since they've had a nice resurgence of late, but operatic rock was never my favorite), Bon Jovi (nice enough guy, just find his music derivative but that could be said of all rock), Kiss (creepy), Boston (another sacrilegious nomination, maybe my dislike is from too much overplay) .

Special mention: AC/DC (I sort of missed their glory days in the 80s, but actually got a kick out of some of their over-the-top rock tunes when they were getting a second listen about 15 years ago thanks to guitar hero), Michael Jackson (I actually liked his music and dancing a lot from childhood to death, but in the last ten years so much bad/criminal stuff has come out on him and how he treated kids that it's very hard to listen to him with the same carefree toe-tapping as before)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Joe Cocker: making great songs sound like crap since the first time he opened his trap

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Pretty much any hair metal band. Got ridiculed by the cool dudes in Jr. And Sr. High for not liking Styx, Journey, Reo, Kiss, etc... still loath them. Too busy listening to Brian Eno, Bowie, Bob Marley, and Neil Young.

First two Police albums were fun. After that, nothing. Never been a big Springsteen fan. No Cure or Smith's either.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dave Matthews- I cannot take his whinny voice.
ZZ Top- Repetitive lyrics and the droning beat
Heart- Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard
Beach Boys-Just never got them

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Springsteen or Shitstain as we used call him. Back in High School we would go sleep in line for Grateful Dead tickets leaving Springsteen tickets to the mainstream sheep.

Dave Matthews - Passed on meeting him back stage when I had the chance.

Most country except for The Man in Black.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that this thread is bringing out the curmudgeon in everyone. I don’t know if I can be friends with any of you anymore :ogcool::ogbiggrin:. As someone who is struggling to learn a musical instrument and music theory, I have learned that musicianship can be appreciated without necessarily liking the style of music.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dave Matthews- I cannot take his whinny voice.

So with you here...he is my "nails on a chalkboard voice.

No love for Journey, REO Speedwagon and 80's hair metal bands.

Eagles - no really my cup of coffee...have played many Eagles songs in many bands and I respect their song writing and musicianship, just don;t like 'em all that much.

Love me some country... never cared for Chet Atkins - too technical, not enough soul.

Bruce is OK, not a fan myself though I know may rabid ones. His band is just too much for me...so many players and i tall comes out mush.

I have way too long a list of bands and music that annoys me so I will stop here,

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bruce Springsteen. Born to Run was a great song but I always thought of him as a one hit wonder.
:duck:
That was the first artist who came to mind for me. And Barry Manilow.

Sponsor

Staff online