• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Backseat? Cue for hip being fore/aft

HeavenlySaddle

Booting up
Skier
Was doing a Rail Road/Edging exercise - black top/orange pants.

While doing it, I did not feel being backseat. But looking at the video, it seems my hip is a bit behind most of the time. So my question is - what cue do you use to ensure your hip is in the right position in fore/aft direction.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not seeing that. What I would ask myself is, do I feel my balance centered over my entire foot, that is, am I putting about equal weight on the balls of the feet and the heels? Do I hold steady in that balance, or does it move around? If you're backseated, it's inevitable that weight will be more on your heels, and you'll feel boot cuff pressure on your calves. By definition.

I would be more concerned about ensuring that I'm leaving rounded, continuous railroad tracks in the snow, without kinks or skids. If you're doing more than two turns, you pretty much need to have someone else follow and look at your tracks. In some of the turns, I may be seeing you force the transition a bit, with more up and down than necessary, maybe more of a foot shuffle than necessary, and the first part of the turn a little tighter than the rest, probably slightly skidded. Not to say that it's horrible. That was a lot of turns. The last part of the run looked steeper, so a little skid could have been justified for speed control, if you weren't going to use the full width of the run. Watch your video carefully for any little sprays of snow from your tails. Maybe at 0:34. It's the moment at which the skis are flat, in the transition, that a skier will be most prone to little twist of the feet creeping in.

Maybe others can see more.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
Was doing a Rail Road/Edging exercise - black top/orange pants.

While doing it, I did not feel being backseat. But looking at the video, it seems my hip is a bit behind most of the time. So my question is - what cue do you use to ensure your hip is in the right position in fore/aft direction.

Doesn't look back seat to me.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I wouldn't say that's particularly backseat, nit the first thing that pops out anyway. There are moments where you are back and inside, so try to improve your upper body/lower body separation. If you do that you will improve the relation of your body to your feet. Open your stance a little bit too. Look at the shuffling of your feet, that's a sign of going back and inside. There may be another thread on the subject somewhere around here.

Reactions: Ron

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Very good, smooth, rhythmic, in control. I do not see backseat.

If you are concerned about clues try this. Get in a good static centered position. Concentrate on the feelings in your feet and lower legs. Where and how much pressure do you feel on all aspects of your feet and lower legs. Then, while static, move yourself into the backseat. Compare and contrast the feelings with how you felt when centered. Then, again while static, move far forward to experiment with the feelings there. Now put it in motion on really low terrain playing with moving back and forth between the extremes to feel how they differ. Finally, do railroad tracks concentrating on maintaining those feelings you had while centered.