• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I don't get wearing a large pack for in bounds skiing, but I've found that a hydration pack is a necessity for me. It's a low profile one that holds a couple of other things like googles and some energy bars. It has none of the extra compression straps that usually hang off the back of a skiing day pack even so, on some lifts I will swing take one arm out and swing it to the side. Looking at my Dakine Heli pack which is reserved for the occasional out of bounds touring, I really would hesitate to wear it on a lift given all the straps and loops.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My friend rented boots/skis at Breck and her boots were stolen from the rental area (literally from their shelves). Two months of emails and calls with management... and nothing. She refuses to go back to Breck because of it. Another friend had flip flops stolen out of their boot bag.

Right. I have no doubt that's happened. Again, it's a tradeoff.

Be aware there's a lot of self-identifying Bears reading these forums.

Wait, what do Bears have to do with anything?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
just curious, assuming you are not skiing with kids and do not have to carry tons of stuff with you, also assume you are skiing inside the resort and using lifts. Why do you need a backpack?

When I was in summit county I brought a backpack but didn't end up using it because it was too large and cumbersome. Luckily I was wearing a bib with a ton of pockets. Maybe it's my constant need to be prepared (or just a woman with large purse syndrome) but I had everything under the sun in those pockets. Hand-warmers, my lift ticket, wallet, gloves, 2 neck gaiters, 2 chap-sticks, a beanie, small sunscreen, hand sanitizer, cell phone, a portable charger, energy bars, and probably some other things that I am forgetting. Now if I was wearing something else, I doubt all this would of fit. I used everything I just listed as well so a backpack would make sense. Thankfully I didn't need to shed layers or had the desire to add any. Imagine if I had kids!

Also in my case there was no option to go to the car and grab something. I was dropped off at Breckenridge and one day took the shuttle from Breck to Keystone. Even if that was not the case, the parking lots for both places are ridiculously far. At Keystone, we rode a shuttle from the parking lot to the resort. So once we were there, we were there.

I personally have little faith in people so I'd rather have my belongings on me than trust people to be honest. I think leaving things lying around may be a east coast thing (forgive and correct me if I'm wrong) because I didn't really see any unattended bags while I was there.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it doesn't fit comfortably in my pockets it doesn't come with me. No backpack needed.

That reminded me of a friend's observation: "Given space and time, crap accumulates." I call it Matthew's Theorum, but it means, among other things, that if you carry a backpack, you will fill it.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Slope side parking beats the heck out of lockers or backpacks for storage issues. Just swing past your ride to add or dump gear. The $350 it costs for the season pass to this rock star parking for weekends and holidays is a bargain.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My friend rented boots/skis at Breck and her boots were stolen from the rental area (literally from their shelves). Two months of emails and calls with management... and nothing. She refuses to go back to Breck because of it. Another friend had flip flops stolen out of their boot bag.

Next season my goal is to look for hiding spots at all the Epic pass resorts so I have a spot to stash my lunch so I don't have to walk back to my car in my ski boots.

Who in their right mind steals rental boots?

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
That reminded me of a friend's observation: "Given space and time, crap accumulates." I call it Matthew's Theorum, but it means, among other things, that if you carry a backpack, you will fill it.

Completely agree! It definitely applies to my home as well. As much as I have tried I don't live a minimalist lifestyle but I envy those who can and do.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Eh, I will leave my boot bag in the base lodges of several areas: Abasin, Loveland, Sunlight, Snowmass, Highlands (to name a few). That being said, I don't leave anything in there that would absolutely ruin my day ie: car keys, ID, credit cards. Now, I wouldn't be thrilled if my post ski boots were gone and a few other items, but it is the chance I take to boot up inside and warm, instead of outside & cold. :ogcool:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Slope side accommodations is even better than slope side parking. Oh it does include slope side parking.

I lugged 2 backpacks to WB this March. One was my carry on with my boots and laptop. The other was going to be used for skiing. I realized that the only thing that didn't fit in my jacket pockets was my cat tracs. I decided to leave those home too. But if I want to take my good camera with me a better pack that my Salomon is going to be needed. Nikon D3300 with 200mm zoom.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Eh, I will leave my boot bag in the base lodges of several areas: Abasin, Loveland, Sunlight, Snowmass, Highlands (to name a few). That being said, I don't leave anything in there that would absolutely ruin my day ie: car keys, ID, credit cards. Now, I wouldn't be thrilled if my post ski boots were gone and a few other items, but it is the chance I take to boot up inside and warm, instead of outside & cold. :ogcool:

ID, credit card, health insurance card, car key, chapstick, trail map. Ski straps, lift ticket or pass. Down at the (East coast!) lodge, bag with snacks, sunscreen, hand cream, Aleve, small towel, extra hand and toe warmers. Last, but important, the rattiest boots I own. It's not just that I want to boot up in the lodge; I don't want to wreck my ski boots by walking on gravel every ski day. Expensive!

@bounceswoosh - I want to know more about that potted plant technique!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I realized that the only thing that didn't fit in my jacket pockets was my cat tracs.

I attach my cat tracks to the top buckle of my boots (folded in half with the buckle in between the two halves..one cat track per boot) and pull the pant leg over. I now get to have my cat tracks with me and have room in my pockets for my flask. In fact, I use my pant legs for stashing a hat and other items.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I attach my cat tracks to the top buckle of my boots (folded in half with the buckle in between the two halves..one cat track per boot) and pull the pant leg over. I now get to have my cat tracks with me and have room in my pockets for my flask. In fact, I use my pant legs for stashing a hat and other items.

Seems like you have your priorities straight.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@bounceswoosh - I want to know more about that potted plant technique!

I've never seen it in action, but I think they literally just stuff a (small) piece of gear into the pot, toward the back side, which is probably shaded. They are also both skinny people. I'm not sure my puffy would "hide" quite so well!

Things I carry on my person in-bounds:
Avy beacon
Ski carry strap
Phone
Spare lens
Snacks/lunch (corn nuts, actual nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruit, gummies, apple slices, cheese, sausage ...)
Silicone collapsable cup
Sun screen
Driver's license, insurance card, cash, credit card
Chap stick
Season pass

... I think that's about it. Sometimes rub-on wax, extra chemical warmers, a hat ... haven't enjoyed carrying sunglasses for spring decks, but I just got a pair of free Bud Light sunglasses that are cheap enough, and flat enough, that I'll probably try it.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

I just don't have room. I can barely get the gaiter over my boot top. Wrong pants I guess.

Sponsor

Staff online