• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marshall Barnes

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking for a pair of adjustable length poles to use for touring. That being said I have always had an affinity to the poles with the extended foam grips on them that kind of have rings to place your fingers between going down the whole foam section (does that make sense)? Does anyone know what company I am looking at, as many of the initial search results just turn up adjustable poles with either normal-looking grips or without the foam that I am looking for?

As a point of reference, Cody Townsend uses this style of pole in his The Fifty Project but could not articulate what model it was.

Thank you to anyone who has any information on this!

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for a pair of adjustable length poles to use for touring. That being said I have always had an affinity to the poles with the extended foam grips on them that kind of have rings to place your fingers between going down the whole foam section (does that make sense)? Does anyone know what company I am looking at, as many of the initial search results just turn up adjustable poles with either normal-looking grips or without the foam that I am looking for?

As a point of reference, Cody Townsend uses this style of pole in his The Fifty Project but could not articulate what model it was.

Thank you to anyone who has any information on this!
I've been traveling with a pair of Black Diamond Expedition 3 poles since 2015, and they seem to be holding up well. Definitely would recommend.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Black Diamond Traverse has what you are describing......definitely recommend....have had mine about 10 years....no issues.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still think design characteristics for ski touring prioritized are: stiff enough flex to fiddle with lifters >>> good baskets >>> adjustable length >>> anything else.

BD flicklock have been working for me for years.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Looking for a pair of adjustable length poles to use for touring. That being said I have always had an affinity to the poles with the extended foam grips on them that kind of have rings to place your fingers between going down the whole foam section (does that make sense)?

Like this?
188_2305_10.jpg

Or like this?

duos_freebird1.jpg

TS
M

Marshall Barnes

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Like this?
188_2305_10.jpg

Or like this?

duos_freebird1.jpg

Yes this is it, the Black Crows. Out of stock at the moment, but something tells me they will be available by the next time they could be used. Thanks for your help!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the BD Traverse and like them. Just bought them this past season and they worked well. The lower grip is not ribbed, but it works OK. I too looked for the Cody Townsend ribbed pole which he claimed Salomon makes and I could not find it.

On the Black Crows, the ribbed lower grip looks good, but the upper grip does not have a lip on it to use for flipping things. I sometimes skinned inbounds with my alpine poles without a lip on the upper grip. I found that to be more important than anything else. I don't use the lower grip much, but I use the "flip lip" a lot for the riser and levers on my shift binding. Something to consider. The BD traverses have the lip on the upper grip. Some of the other Comperdell poles have a lip an ribbed grip.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Armada's that is similar to the Black Crows one shown above, but with a more "normal" grip and a bit shorter "extra" grip. This looks to be the newer version of the one I have....https://shop.armadaskis.com/en-us/products/carbon-adjustable-rj0009.html

1587581459899.png

Sponsor

Staff online