• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Backcountry ‘20-‘21 in a nutshell

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Among the many unknowns the current pandemic presents to backcountry skiing is whether social distancing will deter from education, or if its financial impacts will prevent novices from making the necessary purchases.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or I could see the financial problem leading people to (at least for the moment) forgo education, especially as the cheapest options might have to raise prices, due to fewer students/instructor, needing larger buildings, etc.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing I find strange about that article, is they focus a lot on resorts not opening next season. That seems highly unlikely. Resorts have already opened all over the world.

It does seem likely that backountry use will be a bit higher, with the much higher numbers of skiers who own touring gear now, but I don’t see the people who only bought it when because the lifts closed making a huge switch to backcountry skiing once the lifts are available again.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Summit Daily

Summit Daily really seems to be doing a great job. I don’t really need a subscription, since I live 1800 miles away, but will make a donation, to support the outdoor sports articles they have published.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The back country is going to be crowded; might be a good season to take up XC or snowshoeing.
And/or:
  • stay in a location away from large resorts/cities
  • ski a slope with a long approach
  • travel to a backcountry hut (but no Canadian ones for us Americans ),
  • to hire a guide in more popular areas, to find the hidden spots.
Unfortunately for me, with limited time, needing to fly in, and having small kids, most of those options are difficult/expensive to do.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yep - I'd guess your easy access backcountry will be douched up by many of the local crowd who get shut out of resorts on decent conditions days. And the interesting/riskiest thing will be powder frenzy. Probably no way of letting the snowpack consolidate after a dump which might be prudent (& I'd challenge whether in this day & age people really adhere to prudence anyway vs a Instgrammable first track.)

There's a limit to what you can do and always another straight chuting cliff hucking park stomping rockstar who is invincible and thinks that will transfer to the backcountry. (Cynicism aside but late teen/early 20s males tend to come with both the athletic gifts but also the lack of foresight/ready cash to fully invest in education and kit)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Unfortunately for me, with limited time, needing to fly in, and having small kids, most of those options are difficult/expensive to do.

Well, if you're in Denver. PM me. We can find you some goods if you can ditch the kiddos for a morning.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Just like everything biking related was sold out, crowded, etc this summer, it is a fair assumption to have that all outdoor winter activities will be crowded. When I was hitting BC on the west coast in Mid March after shut down, everyone was talking about how if will "never be the same". It's prob true. A consequence of the pandemic, many humans are enjoying what's left of mother earth. I'm not fan of crowds any more than the next guy. Like it or not, patience, respect, and a deep breath will be mandatory this year. IF we can all do that, hopefully, we can peacefully keep things open, coexist, and enjoy.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
It will "never be the same". It's prob true.
This is true of so many things & things will always change but the past 5-8 years has been nuts & the last 4-6 months has been even nuttier :geek: !
If the summer is any reflection on what the winter will bring, all I can say is "Watch Out!"
woodstock.jpg

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Here we go :doh:

It definitely happened with mountain biking this summer. Really just makes me want to avoid the backcountry for awhile.
D0CC9848-685B-42C7-93EF-35585EFF59F6.jpeg

Wait till they invent E-skis :duck:

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@4ster please no! ebikes are bad enough. But honestly I think Instagram and facebook did a whole lot for backcountry to be crowded. Now everyone and their dogs are out there to get selfie...at least around here in Alps it feels so. Skiing is not main point, enjoying nature and views out there neither. Selfie with which you show all your friends and "friends" you are cool skier is. With something like e-skis things would be really insane, so let's hope they will never invent something like that :)

Slaverson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I feel that the BC community would heavily appreciate E-Skis not becoming a thing. Thats why there's resorts.

Sponsor

Staff online