• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Back to the East Coast from Cali

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
Hey everyone, I'm Dave and I'm based in Philly after almost 2 decades of skiing Tahoe (North Lake and Kirkwood). I grew up ski racing in the Poconos and had a brief stint in college ski racing at Plymouth State in NH before transferring to Villanova to play football. Needless to say I'm a jack of all trades, but really a master of none. Now old, banged up, I like to throw down GS/Super G turns on the Pocono groomers and try to get out West once a year. I have a 7.5 year old daughter who loves to terrify me on the slopes and a 13 year old son who would rather be gaming. My wife is an advanced skier and I just grabbed her some Blizzard Black Pearl 88's to replace her 2004 Head Monster 70's. I'm into cars and work in marketing for an aftermarket performance mfg in the area. Oh, I currently ski Line Supernatural 100's in a 185 and Scott Megadozer powder skis in a 186. Looking for a more East Coast set-up... probably a Kendo in 177 or the Fischer RC One 86GT.

DTSugarbushVT

Booting up
Skier
Hey everyone, I'm Dave and I'm based in Philly after almost 2 decades of skiing Tahoe (North Lake and Kirkwood). I grew up ski racing in the Poconos and had a brief stint in college ski racing at Plymouth State in NH before transferring to Villanova to play football. Needless to say I'm a jack of all trades, but really a master of none. Now old, banged up, I like to throw down GS/Super G turns on the Pocono groomers and try to get out West once a year. I have a 7.5 year old daughter who loves to terrify me on the slopes and a 13 year old son who would rather be gaming. My wife is an advanced skier and I just grabbed her some Blizzard Black Pearl 88's to replace her 2004 Head Monster 70's. I'm into cars and work in marketing for an aftermarket performance mfg in the area. Oh, I currently ski Line Supernatural 100's in a 185 and Scott Megadozer powder skis in a 186. Looking for a more East Coast set-up... probably a Kendo in 177 or the Fischer RC One 86GT.

The Fischer is all you'll ever need.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
In pocono as a local, I would look for under 70mm on-piste carving skis or < 85 at best considering your background and snow conditions here.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the forum. I ski northern New England, so you might have slightly worse conditions than we do, sorry to say.

I think you are on the right track with your ski suggestions. You have the powder ski and soft snow ski covered. The question for you is do you want a lower 80's front side ski or a 70'smm carving / race ski. If its going to be one ski, I would suggest the lower 80's ski, which you have suggested. You should add Enforcer 82 and Brahma 82 to your list, along with the Head Monster 83.

Another ski I personally like that would work very well for you is the K2 Ikonic 84 TI. I think they are going away for next year so should be on sale soon. This ski is a wide carver that works quite well as an all around front side ski. Its more easy going than the Fischer RC One, which is more high performance carver / all arounder. There's plenty of skis that will work well.

The 70's carvers will be more entertaining carving on the groomers, but not as versatile if you go into the woods. If you want the ultimate in carving and versatility, there is the Stockli Laser AX 78mm which will cost you some $$, but a very very well liked ski. I personally own the Brahma in 88mm, the Laser AX, and some narrow race skis for race coaching and icy conditions. I really like the Brahma's ability to go from icy, to man made talc, to packed powder, to boiler plate all on the same run. It isn't phased by the snow surface and feels really stable on anything. I haven't skied the Laser AX, as I recently bought them, so can't give much personal feedback.

TS
Relegate

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
The Fischer is all you'll ever need.
It really seems to be the ski that does it all. I'm a big Fischer fan after working and moonlighting at a Fischer shop in NorCal for a decade. For no good reason other than just less ski to swing around skiing with my daughter, I was looking at the 175. Any rec on 175 vs 182?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where in the Poconos dod you grow up racing?

TS
Relegate

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to the forum. I ski northern New England, so you might have slightly worse conditions than we do, sorry to say.
I think you are on the right track with your ski suggestions. You have the powder ski and soft snow ski covered. The question for you is do you want a lower 80's front side ski or a 70'smm carving / race ski. If its going to be one ski, I would suggest the lower 80's ski, which you have suggested. You should add Enforcer 82 and Brahma 82 to your list, along with the Head Monster 83.

I'm a long time Head skier and have owned 6 pairs of Monsters in the 00's (70, 2x75, 82, 86, 103). Unfortunately my local shops don't carry head so I haven't even seen the 83. I've sort of been out of the ski scene for a few years. I've seen a lot of Brahmas and Enforcers out on the local slopes. Since this is a ski I'm going to use as my daily driver, which part of that is skiing with my 7 year old daughter (who ski's greens and some blues), I don't want a race or race-type ski... but I want a solid edge hold when I trade off the wife and crank out some faster runs, but be able to cruise with her, ski backwards when I need to, walk back up to help her get a ski on, etc. If it was at all going to snow, or I was travelling out West, I would just take the Line's or grab some more updated 100mm AM's.

TS
Relegate

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
Where in the Poconos did you grow up racing?
Little Gap/Blue Mountain. Also in NE at Sugarloaf and Waterville. In college my coach told me I didn't take it serious enough... I think I realized my potential of life in the gates was limited as I just wasn't that great. Freeskier for life.

TS
Relegate

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
In pocono as a local, I would look for under 70mm on-piste carving skis or < 85 at best considering your background and snow conditions here.
I appreciate the rec, but I don't think couldn't keep up with those narrow dedicated carving skis anymore (or unless I really start hitting the bike and gym again). I am going to see what I can demo this weekend if I make it up to Blue.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I appreciate the rec, but I don't think couldn't keep up with those narrow dedicated carving skis anymore (or unless I really start hitting the bike and gym again). I am going to see what I can demo this weekend if I make it up to Blue.

Here’s a list of demo skis from Blue.
Most of the demo skis listed here is not of my taste but you can try.
You can try 3 skis at $60 if my memory is correct.
Also you can buy one of these demo skis if you like at a good discounted price in their annual tent sale in late Oct.

Attachments

• 25EF78E8-96A8-4A41-8D1B-F1F966567902.jpeg
    25EF78E8-96A8-4A41-8D1B-F1F966567902.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 20
TS
Relegate

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
Most of the demo skis listed here is not of my taste but you can try.
You are absolutely awesome for posting that! :beercheer:
What are you skiing on? Size?
Which mountain do you frequent the most? I've skied Blue and Elk this season. Elk was really the place where I said "I've had enough of the 100mm on this ice" despite my recent tune (88 bevel I think...? I should remember my own work).

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
You are absolutely awesome for posting that! :beercheer:
What are you skiing on? Size?
Which mountain do you frequent the most? I've skied Blue and Elk this season. Elk was really the place where I said "I've had enough of the 100mm on this ice" despite my recent tune (88 bevel I think...? I should remember my own work).

I am skiing at Blue every weekends and occasionally after work during the week.
Snow condition wise, usually Elk is better than Blue.
Blue is more icier than Elk because of the frequent winter rain.
I have 5 pairs of skis and all of them are under 70mm waist except the Kastle Mx 84 and they are 177, 175, 168, 165, 163 in length.
So basically my skis cover all snow conditions at Blue but my daily driver is stockli laser sl 165 and salomon rush gs 175.
My favorite side edge angle is 87 that gives pretty good edge grip at Blue.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome, I used to ski Blue, Jack Frost, and Elk. Now I ski at Killington. I remember Blue having a lot of loose granular when they have to break up the icy surface. Too narrow and you have to work hard to navigate it. A mid-80 should be good. I want to demo the Elan Wingman 86 myself, which I suggest since you liked the Ripstick. The Ti is less demanding than the CTi.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perspective from a Michigander who married a dude from PA and currently calls Tahoe home...
I like to throw down GS/Super G turns on the Pocono groomers and try to get out West once a year.
This suggests to me the you want something like the Fischer Curv.
However....

Oh, I currently ski Line Supernatural 100's in a 185 and Scott Megadozer powder skis in a 186. Looking for a more East Coast set-up... probably a Kendo in 177 or the Fischer RC One 86GT.
This suggests that you still have some Tahoe big ski bias and would be happier on something like the Head Monster 88, K2 Mindbender 99, or (thinking blending feel of a carving ski with your current two skis taken into consideration) Liberty Evolv 90 (maybe Evolv 100)

*honestly, this discussion should be in Hard Goods and Gear more than new member introductions...
Let me know if I should move it for you.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You might find this thread useful. I am the OP (original poster)