• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Back from Okemo Mon-thurs

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Went to Okemo with the wife and some friends Sun (21 Jan) to Thurs (25 Jan) I had a good time and skied a lot even the weather wasnt so great the first two days.
We arrived Sun afternoon, for me it was every bit of 9 1/2 hrs and I had enough seat time. Check in was at 5PM so we all met at a ski shop because one of the group realized he had a pants blow out. He got his, and his wife shopped the rest of the time till we had to check in. I made lasagna so when we moved into the condo, that went in the oven and dinner was set.
Up at 0730, made breakfast and got ready to go. It was a long walk at 0900 :thumb:
backdoor2018.jpg

Mon it was a bit warm and the weather was meh. It was a very light rain/fog. Still got some skiing in lift open to close.
Tues was rain. Real rain. I looked at my gear, it all said WATERPROOF and I talked one other into it. We skied for about 2 hours, My stuff didnt lie, except for my butt sitting on the lift got a little damp.
Wed was great. Okemo is known for grooming and snow making, and they lived up to that. I cant think of anywhere else that could make runs like that after a day of heavy rain. I stuck with the slower group for 2 runs then broke off. I think I did 16 runs on Thurs with the majority on Quantum Leap. https://www.okemo.com/mountain-info/trail-maps/interactive-map/ For me, it was about perfect. It was just hard enough that I had to work at it, but easy enough that I could work on me and still have fun.
chriscathy2018.jpg
Thurs we had a half day, weather was perfect, runs were good. I skied over to the Gore side again and they were blowing snow and had been on the intermediate Lower limelight, We were the second pair on it. It was terrible. :yahoo: It was thick and the powder was powder. Ran that 3 times then went back to join the ladies to finish out the morning. Checked out at noon.
I honestly think I skied as good as I even have technically this trip. Not as hard charging, but cleaner. Cleaner is easier on the knees so its more better.

The only complaint I have is their RFID system. with 6 people in 4 days it F'ed up twice. That in itself isnt that bad, but when their ONLY solution is to f around at the lift with a do nothing attitude to come up with the plan that YOU need to ski across the mountain and go to the help desk. When mine messed up on Wed, once I got through and got where I needed to go squared away, the RFID guy was "kind" enough to put a post it on the ticket so that he would let me go on the lift to ski over and fix their problem. The guy at cust service printed a hard card and acted like it was a present. I was OK until then. I understand that stuff happens. I got back to my group, and guess what? Another RFID stopped working. We had about 45 min until the lifts closed, and another day on the passes. After 10 min, they lost the ticket and gave the ticket holder a hand written one for that day..... for 45 min of skiing, ,,,,,, nothing for the next day. She is a very type A so after another run, she went to the front desk, got a ticket, and 50 towards a meal.
So while they did come through, the cust service plan sucks for the RFID. The lifts run from 9 to 1545 so you have 6H 45Min to ski. They need a better way to get it unscrewed because it is electronic and it will fail. We paid enough for the condo and folks give enough for lift tickets that there is no way that it should be their responsibility to fix, on their paid for ski time, problems with Okemos RFID system.

Last edited:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like you made the most of a crummy situation. I don't think i would have broke off from the group or changed my ski plans/routes for something that is their fault. Maybe they should have extra cards at each lift to swap out when one is wonky. The squeaky wheel gets the oil as usual. If they had to shell out $50 vouchers every time they had an RFID issue they would have that resolved pretty quickly.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
The dicking around at the lift, the general confusion and the attitude that it is your problem really shined through on the second dead RFID.

Sponsor