• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Back by popular demand

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What are some products that left the market only to return?

@onenerdykid's mention of Atomic bringing back the Ti and STI race boot made me think of starting this list.

Of course Look and Rossignol discontinued the original Pivot in favor it the ill designed Axial2 and Pivot2 just to bring the Povit back and later the return of the Pivot 15 with our push

Kastle discontinued the MX98 then brought it back in limited run.

Blizzard discontinued the Bodacious then brought a run of the Arne Backstrom ski back.

Salomon brought the original 997E back as the Sth Steel, the all metal version of the original work heel driver.

The Raichle Flexon was resurrected numerous times under various brands and finally as Full Tilt.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Does the Volkl Katana (all-metal) 108 count? Hung around as a V-Werks carbon-only for a while.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does the Völkl Katana (all-metal) 108 count? Hung around as a V-Werks carbon only for a while.
Is it the same ski? If so, yes. If not, Sorry, but we do have some nice parting gifts for you.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Is it the same ski? If so, yes. If not, Sorry, but we do have some nice parting gifts for you.

Volkl says: "The legend becomes bolder and refined with a 3D radius sidecut and a Titanal frame." So the same, but different. Not a retro re-release, but bringing back a model that hadn't been on the market since 2015.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Völkl says: "The legend becomes bolder and refined with a 3D radius sidecut and a Titanal frame." So the same, but different. Not a retro re-release, but bringing back a model that hadn't been on the market since 2015.
So, the same in name only. Does not count.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The Moment Bibby / Wildcat.

The original and current shape took a 1 or 2 year hiatus for something more oriented towards just powder skiing. I think around 14/15? Demand for the first shape -- influenced no doubt by the glowing review on Blister -- brought it back as the Blister Pro and then as the Wildcat.

It's had mild updates to the construction (semi-cap) and slight weight reduction -- but the shape, camber profile, mount point, etc are all the same as original.

Not sure where you draw the line on whether something is that is the same vs new product. The AFDs changed on some of the listed bindings, as did slight housing shifts. Full Tilts are Flexons molds -- but they can have quite different liners. And I thought there were some slight flex tweaks etc across various MX98s but maybe that's wrong. Like the Bibby though, they are all certainly "close enough".

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Praxis teaming with the owner of the now defunct PM Gear to make new Lhasa Fats and now Kusala Pows.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Moment Bibby / Wildcat.

The original and current shape took a 1 or 2 year hiatus for something more oriented towards just powder skiing. I think around 14/15? Demand for the first shape -- influenced no doubt by the glowing review on Blister -- brought it back as the Blister Pro and then as the Wildcat.

It's had mild updates to the construction (semi-cap) and slight weight reduction -- but the shape, camber profile, mount point, etc are all the same as original.

Not sure where you draw the line on whether something is that is the same vs new product. The AFDs changed on some of the listed bindings, as did slight housing shifts. Full Tilts are Flexons molds -- but they can have quite different liners. And I thought there were some slight flex tweaks etc across various MX98s but maybe that's wrong. Like the Bibby though, they are all certainly "close enough".

For at least a few years, the Moment Bibby Pro reboot was pretty much exactly the same except for graphics, and co-existed with the Blister Pro version, which was identical except for graphics. Even the pro involved, Josh Bibby? switched for a year or two but came back to the Bibby. (He's now on the Elan Ripstick 117, I believe.)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I rebooted after several years off. Does that count?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The original 2011 Bibby awesomeness is kinda back by popular demand twice now with the 2021 Wildcat introduction.
Bibby ran for a couple years from 2011-13 when they changed it to the wider, more powder biased Bibby Pro for 2013/14 and it ran for 2 years before going back to it’s original form. 2014/15 saw the Blister Pro(original Bibby) added to the lineup due to the complaints of many who loved the original including the crew at Blistergear.
Huge success with the Blister Pro relaunch in 2014 and Moment then stopped making the “revised” Bibby Pro in 2015 and then made both the Bibby and Blister Pro from 2015-2018 with only cosmetic difference between them. Blister Pro graphics are more subdued.

2018 they changed to semi cap tip/tails and carbon stringers were now infused in the fibreglass which made it a better constructed but lighter ski in the Wildcat(Josh Bibby no longer skiing for them). Again, some people complained that the new Wildcat wasn’t as damp as the Bibby was, so for 2021 it’s got a heavier wood core and upgraded sidewalls and bases. Should be as damp and stable as the Bibby but better float while being easier to ski. I’ll know in a month or so when I try mine out!:yahoo:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, of the skis that are “back by popular demand,” are there any common characteristics In the reincarnated models? It seems like some are touting traditional wood cores/metal and vertical sidewalls and a more traditional shape for a chargy-er, damp ski. Am I on point here?

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bowled league for several years before my kids were born. The major ball manufacturers all brought back legendary balls that all of us lusted for back in the day (but couldn’t afford). The caveat is that while they all had the same name, the cores in many were different and of course the coverstock was adapted to deal with today’s lane oils. The sum effect was they were reboots in name only. Just another way to sell equipment in many cases.

I took a three-decade plus break from skiing so I wouldn’t know if the ski manufacturers are copying that trend. I am waiting for Campagnolo to reboot the Nuovo or Super Record lines, or someone to buy the patents on Suntour Superbe Pro! LOL

Sponsor