• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Awful news to share with the community

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
For those who've been asking about sending cards or flowers, Monique is asking that donations be made to Angel Flight West.
A bit about this organization:
Angel Flight West is a nonprofit, volunteer-driven organization that arranges free, non-emergency air travel for children and adults with serious medical conditions and other compelling needs. Our network of 1,400+ pilots throughout the 13 western states donate their aircraft, piloting skills, and all flying costs to help families in need, enabling them to receive vital treatment that might otherwise be inaccessible because of financial, medical, or geographic limitations.
Read more at http://www.angelflightwest.org/#t21LuyTPyV9hDKeV.99

FYI to anyone who donates: if you work for a large or community-oriented company, your employer may match all or a portion of your donation to AFW in Eric’s memory.

I’m glad that my employer values giving and is matching my gift. If you’re not sure if your company has a matching gift program it never hurts to ask.

I’m sure Monique really appreciates all who wish to and are able to donate.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
It is so hard when you lose someone unexpectedly - especially someone in the prime of their life. My thoughts are with you and your and Eric's families and friends as you go into this evening's services.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We attended the celebration of life for @eric tonight, which was exactly that. It was a celebration of Eric and the way he lived his life.
Several things were emphasized by the many who stepped up to share their experiences with him that made me wish I'd had the opportunity (or taken the opportunity) to know him better.

Reactive generosity was a term used more than once. Eric was that person who reacted to a need in the moment and gave of himself, whatever he could give.

My takeaway - Be kind. It matters.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
So sorry for your loss Monique. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We attended the celebration of life for @eric tonight, which was exactly that. It was a celebration of Eric and the way he lived his life.
Several things were emphasized by the many who stepped up to share their experiences with him that made me wish I'd had the opportunity (or taken the opportunity) to know him better.

Reactive generosity was a term used more than once. Eric was that person who reacted to a need in the moment and gave of himself, whatever he could give.

Quibble - "Reflexive" generosity. It doesn't matter what the word - he really did want to take care of his friends and loved ones in whatever way he could.

He was my rock. I was his Tasmanian Devil. He kept me grounded.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Quibble - "Reflexive" generosity. It doesn't matter what the word - he really did want to take care of his friends and loved ones in whatever way he could.

He was my rock. I was his Tasmanian Devil. He kept me grounded.
I knew it was an "R" word. :D

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thanks for checking in. Can't imagine how difficult it must be to push on through this, but it was nice to see you drop in today. Work through this best you can. We're all here for you spiritually..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I wanted to add one thing. One word that seemed to come up a lot in the - lovely - remembrances was "intimidating." Apparently, Eric was intimidating to a lot of people, both at MIT (take a moment to let that sink in) and at Maxtor and Intel. But he was never intimidating to me. It would never have occurred to me to be intimidated by him. I loved how smart he was, although over the years, I realized that I valued kindness at least as much as smarts and humor - he had all three.

Sorrow and anger are warring for first place. How the hell did this happen?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wanted to add one thing. One word that seemed to come up a lot in the - lovely - remembrances was "intimidating." Apparently, Eric was intimidating to a lot of people, both at MIT (take a moment to let that sink in) and at Maxtor and Intel. But he was never intimidating to me. It would never have occurred to me to be intimidated by him. I loved how smart he was, although over the years, I realized that I valued kindness at least as much as smarts and humor - he had all three.

Sorrow and anger are warring for first place. How the hell did this happen?
What struck me in those stories was that his first appearance was intimidating, because of his towering stature, but the minute he engaged in conversation, the intimidation melted away.

Sponsor

Staff online