• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Awesome day at Loveland!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@nay I think I did pretty good today.

Got there really early (2nd row parking). Took nap in the car and headed out at 8:20AM to lift 2. (1 was packed already).

Looked at this line and wanted to do it. So I did!

IMG_0727.JPG

Those are Patrol's tracks.

IMG_0727-2.JPG

The views off the ridge never get old.

IMG_0729.JPG

Its hard work but worth it. Wind was almost calm!

IMG_0736.JPG

Getting tracked out quickly! :eek:

IMG_0737-1.JPG

The top section was so so smooth

IMG_0738.JPG

After this went down to 9 again and in the distnce I saw the Ridge Cat! :golfclap:

IMG_0762.JPG

Got to the pick up point as fast as I could and it was almost full! :eek: but I made it :D

So field of dreams it is :D

IMG_0743.JPG

So so many good turns! The Moment Deathwish 190cm (112mm wide) just cruise on this stuff...

IMG_0757.JPG

The run down to 8 was also very very nice. Smooth pow and chow in most areas. Lapped 8 a few times. It was nice.

Here is my track before lunch:

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

:bestday::yeah:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
You killed it! ogsmile. That’s a great shot of getting ready to drop into Super Bowl.

We started on a Ptarmigan lap waiting for 9 to open.

5C6355C8-2FCA-4962-A770-FFF4114352D8.jpeg

Then South Chutes to 9.

5688BD8F-62F2-4606-83C4-F9A4AEAB5B5E.jpeg

Patrol was shelling The Ridge all day. Primer Bowl here.

F3FFDFF9-7390-4BD2-BA1B-D22BDBAF6733.jpeg

Edge of Primer Bowl and Castle Rock.

BF5E84C4-5D5F-4E47-8182-E8A1E14017E0.jpeg

The deep snow on The Ridge got progressively heavier as the sun affected it. Still good here, I managed to hit rocks twice.

Ridge Cat. Must have missed you by one ride.

97F01F81-909C-43B2-BCB9-AF3B7FEE4A6D.jpeg

C83AAED0-4F7D-41B2-8738-CA2CBBEDB1CE.jpeg

Lots of little rollers in this pic indicating the surface firming up.

74EE9C48-7239-4EDC-8666-A912C090F086.jpeg

Dropping down to 8.

9E960238-C673-4747-91F5-E9D51E4CA5A5.jpeg

And then we stayed on the mellower pitches off 8 that held great snow all day. We skied for 2:45 before lunch and 2:45 after.

Toast. But an awesome day for sure!

6EC8331A-4C6F-4787-872D-8C13EADA5A14.jpeg

Horrid traffic coming home, too.

7E7252C0-8CB6-43BB-935A-83A2CBFA0C7A.jpeg

(After a stop at Guanella Pass Brewery)

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice!

The wind was hammering the divide as I drove up last night around 6 pm (the evening before your pics). I had my wipers on for all the blowing snow. Fun to watch it blow off the peaks. Glad you guys got the end result!

IMG_20180316_173053.jpg IMG_20180316_172746_1.jpg IMG_20180316_172623_1.jpg

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@nay Yeah, looking at the time on my pics I dropped into Super Bowl at 9:36am and into Field of Dreams at 10:17am so I must have gotten the first cat up (I had no clue it was the first!, I just saw it and went to it) The snow was perfect. I did eat it at the bottom of Super Bowl in the transition from pow to not so pow and harder wind affected. A lot of people did. In Field of Dreams the snow was perfect all the way through though! did the Plunge and In the Mood 3 times. It was chowder but good chowder.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay Yeah, looking at the time on my pics I dropped into Super Bowl at 9:36am and into Field of Dreams at 10:17am so I must have gotten the first cat up (I had no clue it was the first!, I just saw it and went to it) The snow was perfect. I did eat it at the bottom of Super Bowl in the transition from pow to not so pow and harder wind affected. A lot of people did. In Field of Dreams the snow was perfect all the way through though! did the Plunge and In the Mood 3 times. It was chowder but good chowder.

Those transitions were tough - saw a lot of people going down. I almost did a couple of times.

I stayed out of Field of Dreams because I took some rock hits in there last Sunday, even though it was awesome otherwise. It looked good and that slightly lesser pitch was where the snow was more consistent so that was a good move.

We did Marmot off the cat, which was good but still not quite let-it-loose consistent. Definitely deep, though. I agree the chowder was good - we ended up spending a bunch of time skier’s right of Chair 8. The snow stayed really soft all day and that flatter terrain is a blast when the snow is soft and fast and steeper stuff has consolidated.

@tball thanks for the confirmation on wind load. I wasn’t sure how much was leftovers or parts of 9 that never opened yesterday. There was a ton of it and some awesome turns today. I’m not sure you could have been on too fat of a ski today to stay on top, though.

My son is skiing 120mm Bent Chetlers and he had an easier time on the wider and burlier ski.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Those transitions were tough - saw a lot of people going down. I almost did a couple of times.

I stayed out of Field of Dreams because I took some rock hits in there last Sunday, even though it was awesome otherwise. It looked good and that slightly lesser pitch was where the snow was more consistent so that was a good move.

We did Marmot off the cat, which was good but still not quite let-it-loose consistent. Definitely deep, though. I agree the chowder was good - we ended up spending a bunch of time skier’s right of Chair 8. The snow stayed really soft all day and that flatter terrain is a blast when the snow is soft and fast and steeper stuff has consolidated.

@tball thanks for the confirmation on wind load. I wasn’t sure how much was leftovers or parts of 9 that never opened yesterday. There was a ton of it and some awesome turns today. I’m not sure you could have been on too fat of a ski today to stay on top, though.

My son is skiing 120mm Bent Chetlers and he had an easier time on the wider and burlier ski.

I did not hit any rocks but I think I was lucky although there was definitely some extra coverage. @tball I had zero clue about the loading, I just drove up in the morning and was surprised when I found it!

My Moment Deathwish are not super fat at 112mm but the length sure helped (190cm) and with the Barons they are quite heavy (15 lbs total pair) and pretty burly. They have a 27m turn radius so the tips are not super wide and almost the same width as my Navis which are only 102mm wide but with a 19m turn radius. Certainly made everything quite easy. They worked well in the occasional scraped off stuff as well. I actually hand tuned them at home with 1º base bevel and detuned the tips and tails quite a bit. I think that helped a lot.

Sponsor