• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AWD Wagonish Car For Cheap Snob

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Gremlin lineage, I sees it.

A Gremlin gets drunk and walks up to a Cylon mask...
...and you just ruined any chance of the car making it as a PUGSKI'ers office to the ski slopes vehicle! :nono:
h-2782-1553697659-1.jpg

61ACFA6y1LL._SL1000_.jpg
Murder-Gremlin-On-Street.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And now you can get a 2019 Mazda 3 hatch with AWD and a manual.

Sadly, I don't think so. From the linked article (and several others I've read):

"In all-wheel drive 3s, it's only paired with a six-speed automatic."

Please tell me they are wrong, because that little 3 hatchback with AWD and a stick shift would be hoot (though underpowered)!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sadly, I don't think so. From the linked article (and several others I've read):

"In all-wheel drive 3s, it's only paired with a six-speed automatic."

Please tell me they are wrong, because that little 3 hatchback with AWD and a stick shift would be hoot (though underpowered)!

No, it looks like its either AWD or a manual trans, but not both. Early reports were not clear. I would not call it underpowered. Wife has a 2018 Mazda 3 GT with the 2.5 l engine and it is far from slow. This is similar power to the engine in the Subie Outback in a much smaller car.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
Wife has a 2018 Mazda 3 GT with the 2.5 l engine and it is far from slow. This is similar power to the engine in the Subie Outback in a much smaller car.
Does Mazda 3 offer an optional tire alternative to the stock 18" no sidewall'ish salami wrapper performance tires? I did a quick search on Tire Rack dot com for something that actually has a sidewall and found no alternative sizes.

Last edited:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does Mazda 3 offer an optional tire alternative to the stock 18" no sidewall'ish salami wrapper performance tires? I did a quick search on Tire Rack dot com for something that actually has a sidewall and found no alternative sizes.
My wife's 2018 M3 GT tires are Dunlop UHP all seasons in a 215/45-18 size. Wouldn't call 45 series tires "salami wrappers". Pretty typical today for a car like this. The base Sport in 2018 came with 16s. I like the look of the 18s a lot more than the 16s, and the ride is pretty decent.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My wife's 2018 M3 GT tires are Dunlop UHP all seasons in a 215/45-18 size. Wouldn't call 45 series tires "salami wrappers". Pretty typical today for a car like this. The base Sport in 2018 came with 16s. I like the look of the 18s a lot more than the 16s, and the ride is pretty decent.
I live in pothole country, on a good year at least one 18" tire would get destroyed and the rims... :(

A very conservative driver friend had a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback and got so disgusted with potholes blowing out tires/rims, traded it in for a Subaru Outback!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thread starter here. Wow. What have I done?

Anyway, if anyone cares, I ended up with a one-year-old Audi Q3. A major redesign is about to pop, and that seems to have forced the price down on last year's cars.

In the end the V60 was a little too claustrophobic. Felt like Harold's hearse in Harold and Maude.The Alltrack drove beautifully but slightly loud and ordinary feeling in the higher trim lines for the pretty high price. CX-5 great value, with all the bells and whistles I wanted, but didn't speak to me - either to look at or to drive. :huh: No accounting for personal preference. Allroads too expensive. This one felt Goldilocks right. Jury is still out on spaciousness, but 90% of my miles I'm alone in the car. Phil said, archly, "Well, your skis might fit in it." Pretty accurate. We'll see how it works out.

20190512_123046-01.jpeg

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Tony S - nice choice! If the skis don’t fit inside that can be remedied by a quick stop to the local Yakima or Thule dealer for a nice roof box. I just ordered Thule XT Alpine for my Alltrack.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S - nice choice! If the skis don’t fit inside that can be remedied by a quick stop to the local Yakima or Thule dealer for a nice roof box. I just ordered Thule XT Alpine for my Alltrack.

Yeah, I have a box, admittedly 15 years old with a little bit of cracking at the hinges. Still need to get the rest of the refitting under way, though. Roof rails are totally different design, yadda yadda. Not to mention a hitch for my bike rack, which is a much more pressing concern in May. Money money money. Sigh.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Yeah, I have a box, admittedly 15 years old with a little bit of cracking at the hinges. Still need to get the rest of the refitting under way, though. Roof rails are totally different design, yadda yadda. Not to mention a hitch for my bike rack, which is a much more pressing concern in May. Money money money. Sigh.

We installed a Curt 2” hitch on a freinds ‘18 Q3. Took us about 2hrs, a little trimming here & there but fit quite well. I think he only paid ~$150 on Amazon for it.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thread starter here. Wow. What have I done?

Jury is still out on spaciousness, but 90% of my miles I'm alone in the car. Phil said, archly, "Well, your skis might fit in it." Pretty accurate. We'll see how it works out.
I have a first gen BMW X! which is a very similar car to the Q3. My skis fit in fine diagonally in the back with the seats folded. I have been happy with the X1 as a ski car for a couple. Plenty of room for stuff with the seats folded down, lots of power for hills and passing, and I get 30+ mpg on my trips to Vermont.

Sponsor

Staff online