• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AWD Wagonish Car For Cheap Snob

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that's really ugly!!

At least the snout of it is MUCH better than the snout on previous Acuras. The rest of it, not so much.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
do I buy a set of steel rims to put on the all seasons when the snows come off, or just pay the $60, $70 mounting fee each time I swap them out? On the one hand, the tires un-mounted on rims are so much easier to deal with

On another thread about tires there were a couple of posts mentioning the possible stretching of the tire bead as a result of frequent tires on/off wheels and subsequent slow leak. Also a lot of tire shops have a waiver making them not responsible for damage to alloy wheels as a result of tire mounting.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On another thread about tires there were a couple of posts mentioning the possible stretching of the tire bead as a result of frequent tires on/off wheels and subsequent slow leak. Also a lot of tire shops have a waiver making them not responsible for damage to alloy wheels as a result of tire mounting.
Missed that one, so, an extra set of rims it will be. Not concerned about the latter. Thx.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wishfull thinking -
https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-subaru-levorg-is-a-wrx-wagon-for-grown-ups-1823948264
https://jalopnik.com/yes-america-really-needs-the-subaru-levorg-sti-sport-1833200646
dekctrhuifrixmdfh8z1.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So a bit of research tells me that the Buick is a rebadged Opel/Vauxhall Insignia. That would be well down the list of Euro wagons so probably a good choice to steer clear unless they are giving them away. I'd go in a heartbeat for a Ford Mondeo (Fusion) Wagon instead though I don't believe they've ever brought that to you either.

I find it slightly puzzling that in such a big auto market your options are so limited but that must be a consequence of the obsession with trucks, SUVs and crossovers.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I find it slightly puzzling that in such a big auto market your options are so limited but that must be a consequence of the obsession with trucks, SUVs and crossovers.

I think part of the problem is that the US market has always viewed hatchback cars as utilitarian entry level cars. Whereas in Canada, for instance, hatchbacks are viewed as very practical, wagon like but sportier, and great value. While I can't list any off the top of my head, over the years we have had popular hatchbacks offered for sale in Canada that were not available in the US.

From a popular Canadian Red Rose Tea ad of a few years ago:
Two old English gals at tea time, "Only available in Canada you say"? (sips tea)....."Pity".

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think part of the problem is that the US market has always viewed hatchback cars as utilitarian entry level cars. Whereas in Canada, for instance, hatchbacks are viewed as very practical, wagon like but sportier, and great value. While I can't list any off the top of my head, over the years we have had popular hatchbacks offered for sale in Canada that were not available in the US.

From a popular Canadian Red Rose Tea ad of a few years ago:
Two old English gals at tea time, "Only available in Canada you say"? (sips tea)....."Pity".
Red Rose isn't available here anymore? I grew up with Red Rose. I almost never drink black tea anymore, I guess.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The only problem with the Alltracks wagon is that it just doesn't inspire the fear of God into other drivers on the road, which is my best theory why no one wants wagons in the US... and you can't see the gun rack nearly as well as a pickup. Maybe if I could rig up a 'rolling coal' set up though...

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only problem with the Alltracks wagon is that it just doesn't inspire the fear of God into other drivers on the road, which is my best theory why no one wants wagons in the US... and you can't see the gun rack nearly as well as a pickup. Maybe if I could rig up a 'rolling coal' set up though...
If you ask me, and no offence to anyone but I'd say it looks like an active outdoorsy single middle aged female and newly divorced soccer mom's car, (same age demographic). Practical. Bland styling, not quite classic, not quite sporty.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

This is the TL;DR answer to @fatbob's comments. Sad but true. This is a country where bigger is always better.

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you ask me, and no offence to anyone but I'd say it looks like an active outdoorsy single middle aged female and newly divorced soccer mom's car, (same age demographic). Practical. Bland styling, not quite classic, not quite sporty.

"I drive an Alltrack," says the somewhat-active, somewhat-outdoorsy, married, almost-middle aged female. It got 44+ mpg on the highway this past weekend on an unexpected road trip to Pittsburgh. Turned over 28,000 miles this week, and I've had it about 18 months. Love the six-speed. Heck, I love this car. Next to my Mustang GT, it's probably my all-time fave.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

Thank god I don't fit into THAT demographic... (that's a joke, I suppose I sorta do with a gender variable thrown in) ogsmile I was thinking more like cheap old guy who needs a new rig and says to himself, " yeah, I should get a Suby, but this is a screaming deal and a heck of a lot more fun to drive".

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The most recent couple of pages of posts make me think of a couple of things. One was a conversation about 10 years ago with a friend who was one of the biggest Audi dealers the country. Also owned BMW, Volvo, VW and Porsche stores. He had tracked down a CPO Audi wagon for us. His comment was that I ought to start buying NEW cars, and encouraging my like-minded friends to do the same, "because pretty soon, these types of cars will no longer be imported to the U.S." I, of course, prided myself on always buying cars where some other fool had burned through the early depreciation. Not inexpensive cars, depreciated "used" cars.

Of course the American public has since made the Subaru Outback the best selling wagon in the USA. No thanks. The sportswagon is close to dead, as they do not sell. The Levorg is not a new car, It's been in production for some time. But no appetite to bring it here. Sadly. We could go through a long list of cars that have disappeared. I just had lunch with a friend and his car is the last model year of the Audi A4 wagon, 2.0T with a six speed. Gone. He dreads when it gives out.

When I visit Europe, I could spend ALL of my time walking streets just looking at cars. It never ceases to amaze me, what great wagons there are, seemingly everywhere. So many high performance diesels. And as somebody mentioned, it's fun to watch the team cars in the TdF and note what they are, and then why they are not available here. Because we don't buy them. The greater American "we."

I live in a very congested, ancient, re-revolutionary war town. Charming and tight. The roads are in many cases 300 years old. It's, I guess, by all sorts of metrics, an upscale town. Lived here all of my adult life. These days, it seems like the most popular "cars" among young mothers are: Suburbans and Yukons, Range Rovers, Pilots, Land Cruisers, Acura MDX, Expeditions, Volvo XC's, Cayennes and Toureags. Everybody wants BIG for kids, dogs, friends and I guess yoga supplies. Or egos. I hear over and over again that "I want to sit high to be able to see better," and that sort of thing.

I see virtually NO wagons. Some more vintage Audis and Volvos, and the occasional BMW. If you were to look at the town, the roads, the commutes, the weekend trips, on an objective basis, there are a lot of other "cars" other than the big SUV's that would seem to make sense. None around. The occasional Toyota Sienna. A few Highlanders. I am seeing some Alltracks and Tiguans appearing more often. I think the "how could you possibly support VW?" has passed. This is actually the perfect place for a Mini.

I think my favorite car was a 1995.5 Audi S6 Avant. A wagon. 5 cylinder turbo that I did a "lot of work" to modify. Had a 5 speed manual trans and was a Quattro...AWD. It had a lot of room in it, I could put anything on the roof, including a huge roof box. It handled better than almost anything I have driven, and it screamed. Fast. With decent fuel economy. It was amazing in the snow. And it had 200K+ miles on it when I bought an Allroad. I had had a bunch of similar sport wagons and hatches before, and after. Have always had one or two.

That car would be a complete dinosaur today. A "station wagon", and one with "clutch and a stick shift?" No chance. Would never sell.

Those of us who love those cars are in an incredibly small sliver of the market. On a national basis....I'm told like 2-3%, maybe. Phil may've some thoughts on that.

It is, sadly, what it is. Makes buying pretty darn interesting these days. I'm an outlier, I have no idea why one would buy a sedan instead of a similarly set up and performing wagon. I know they do. When I owned a S8 my oddball opinion was that it would be incredible, designed as a wagon. I sold it, at a nice profit, too fancy...and I needed a wagon!

Depressing.......

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Kinda like people who buy carving and race skis. :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Think outside the box.

IMG_6239.JPG

(Almost makes it look Soviet)