• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta AWD needed for Jackson

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
Is AWD needed for JH? Ill be flying to JAC airport and will be staying in Jackson.
Otherwise, I might might fly to Idaho Falls and rental an SUV there.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Unless you really need a car, the START system used to be a decent way to get around. We didn’t have a rental car last time we were there.

But to answer your question, you don’t need AWD, but see if the rental companies are putting snow tires on.

Reactions: RJS

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I never rent a car when I go to Jackson. I either stay in a condo out at Teton Village, or stay in one of the motels in town with their own bus. When I stayed in the Village, I had the cab stop at the grocery store on the way from the airport. When we ate in town, we took the Start bus in and a taxi back. (Never tried the Start bus for daily ski commuting.)

But if you insist on driving, the road from airport to Jackson and Jackson to ski resort is pretty much flat. Potential issues: if it is snowing while you drive; they don't plow at night; no close free parking.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
No AWD or 4WD needed. The rental company would charge you an arm and a leg for that anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No AWD or 4WD needed. The rental company would charge you an arm and a leg for that anyway.
I will usually go for the loss leader, chances are they are out of them and will get a free upgrade. With that said...You usually don't need a rental car in Jackson. Plus I am usually too sloshed to drive after the free Mimosas at the airport.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I get AWD or 4WD, but only if I'm planning to drive to Targhee. The pass is usually fine for FWD if it's open, but I've been over it a number of times where I was glad to have 4WD. If not leaving Jackson, I'd go no car (and stay in Teton Village) or whatever's cheap to grab dinner in town.

bmoreiskier

Booting up
Skier
I agree with the others that you don't need a car given the bus, the flat roads, and the fact there is little parking at the mountain itself. I would add that a lot of the hotels run a shuttle for skiers from town to the mountain. We usually stay at the rustic inn (just there over MLK), in addition to the included 4x daily shuttle to the mountain they will pick you up and drop you up at the airport for free. Good free breakfast also. The START bus is ok, but can get crowded and you likely will be standing for the 15 minute trip, it also costs a few bucks a day. If the rustic is too much for you check out the 49er, no airport shuttle but decent enough rooms, free breakfast, and a dedicated ski shuttle.