• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Avi Transceiver Suggestions for the Infrequent User?

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
I was caught off guard last August, when a giant snowstorm struck Chile ahead of my arrival. I found myself running around Truckee, trying to find someone with an avi transceiver that worked so I could test my 8-year old Ortovox F1 Focus. With an end to my backcountry skiing several years ago and no snow in Tahoe and Chile in recent seasons, I hadn't turned on my F1 in at least 4 years and haven't closely examined "modern" transceivers; though, I've told myself numerous times that I need to get one.

So for those of you way more active with these things than me, what is the suggested transceiver option for an infrequent user like me? One of the things that worries me is although the newer transceivers should be "easier", I found both in my effort to test and during operation in Chile, that folks with the newer models made lots of mistakes... especially in making sure their transceivers were on and transmitting. Ironically, in search testing while in Chile, although I have a dinosaur of beacons, I found practice burials first not once but twice. This can certainly caution the advice of the "new ones are way better".

I know I should move to the current technology, but I want to make sure that the transceiver I select is easy to use and self turns on (like when strapped). I'm not sure why so many people struggle with the new ones' performance as I experienced last August, but any insights and selection suggestions are surely welcome!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The BCA Tracker series is generally considered super easy to use and is therefore popular rental equipment when doing guided trips. Ortovox has a reputation for being hard to use if you're not in the habit. I love my Pieps and I think it's pretty easy to use, but the latest model is a good chunk more expensive than the BCA.

I'm not sure what you mean by turning itself on. I don't think any of them are going to power up on their own. I think some beacons will switch back to transmit from search after a fixed amount of time, but I don't know which.

TS
Susie

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
I'm not sure what you mean by turning itself on.
With my Ortovox, the tranceiver is powered, when the chest strap is connected. I don't have to "turn on" a power switch, rather just put on the device. As I was testing transceivers both in Truckee and Chile, a lot of folks had not turned theirs on properly.

Thanks for the suggestion!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Second for BCA Trackers. I use a 2, and just bought a 3 but haven't used 3 yet. The 2 is stupid easy.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BCA Trackers do have a deserved reputation for ease of use, but you might consider the Pieps DSP Sport. beaconreviews.com is kind of revered as the Consumer Reports of beacons and has this to say:
Pros: Great price, excellent perpendicular reception range, easy to use, mitten friendly, good harness.
Cons: Nothing significant.
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_PiepsDSPSport.asp

Vs the BCA Tracker 2:
Pros: Simple controls, mitten friendly, inexpensive.
Cons: No marking, moderate range.
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_BCATracker2.asp

And the Tracker 3:
Pros: Small.
Cons: Two-digit display, not mitten friendly, shorter perpendicular reception range, can mark only one transmitter.
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_BCATracker3.asp

And let me just add that beacons are, perhaps regrettably, a case of "It's the Indian, not the arrow." I kind of miss the old Ortovox feature where it is turned on when you put it on, but the modern digital beacons don't have that. The modern ones have a lot of other things that make them better, including that they are easier to learn with. The thing is that the user has to be familiar and comfortable with their beacon, no matter which one they have. I'm thinking that the OP's familiarity with her F1 beacon is what allowed her to locate more quickly - digital beacons don't replace the need for knowing how to use them, and a certain amount of practice.

I wear a beacon (and practice) frequently, and currently own a Pieps DSP Sport because I like the ease of use and simplicity. I had an Ortovox 3+, but preferred using the Pieps. I also practice with the Mammut Pulse at work. Those are all good beacons, but I'm most comfortable with the ergonomics of the Pieps, and that's what's most important in a stressful situation, IMO.

So try to demo.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
BCA Trackers do have a deserved reputation for ease of use, but you might consider the Pieps DSP Sport.

I have the older Pieps DSP, and I find it supremely easy.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
The Pieps DSP Sport and Pro are super straight forward and have multiple burial capabilities. Here is the manual:

"The PIEPS DSP PRO/DSP SPORT is a digital 3-antenna transceiver designed to be the easiest
to use in a companion rescue. Equipped with DSP technology (Digital Signal Processing) and
a triple-antenna-search system, the PIEPS DSP PRO/DSP SPORT not only offers a maximum
circular range, but also simplifies the rescue, especially in a case with multiple burials."

10% Off Pieps Discount Coupon thru the weekend: 10OFF112515

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The Pieps is a solid unit as is the Tracker III. I have the Ortovox S1 and its super intuitive as well. Its a little different in its operation (also how it displays multiple targets) but In my AVI 1 training, It found buried targets faster than the BCA III within 3 meters. However, the BCA acquired targets slightly faster, at greater distances and was easier for novices to learn. This really becomes moot if you plan to learn how to use your unit. I will say IN MY experience, the S1 was more susceptible to cell phone interference in the receiving mode. However, you should turn off your cell phone or place into "airplane" mode when searching.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
My first was an F1 but i went to a Tracker a few years ago. This was after using a Pulse but thought it was kind of spendy. I just bought a Tracker III for its size and newer technology. For infrequent use, Trackers are good units, easy to use, with favorable pricing. I've used Pieps once and thought it was good but I don't have enough experience with it to decide if I liked it enough to buy it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'd look hard at the Pieps offerings. I use a Mammut element myself at the moment.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought I had lost my beacon(Tracker). I used it a few times a year, it is very easy to use & I liked it. I used the beacon review site to find another beacon & chose the Mammut Element, which I have not used yet this season. BTW, I did end up finding my Tracker just about 4 weeks ago, so now I have 2 beacons. :cool:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I thought I had lost my beacon(Tracker). I used it a few times a year, it is very easy to use & I liked it. I used the beacon review site to find another beacon & chose the Mammut Element, which I have not used yet this season. BTW, I did end up finding my Tracker just about 4 weeks ago, so now I have 2 beacons. :cool:

You can have a beacon party all by yourself :)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Some years ago I did a dryland session with a bunch of people. We did a multiple burial scenario and the two of us that were fastest to the last "body" were using F1s. We thought we'd been being a bit selfish by not going for the digital assistances but in the heat of the moment we concluded that we'd found it easier to filter out the pings using our own ears. I believe some patrols & guides in the alps still opt for the F1 for utter dependability although my gossip is slightly out of date.