Avalanche Hazard Assessment - Compression Test

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by karlo, Feb 21, 2018.

1. karlo

karlo Out on the slopes Skier

I was recently doing some touring with a guide and he shared these videos with me. The Vimeo video is the shorter one. First, I have a better understanding of the significance of the wrist tap, elbow tap, and full arm tap. Second, I have a better understanding of failure mode and its significance.

Nobody, BGreen, Primoz and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny Getting off the lift Skier

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for sharing, @karlo! I have been looking for the significance/ interpretation of fracture characters for a while and gave up. I tour with a partner and we have major language barrier. We dig snow pits and find RP often, but I didn’t know what it means . This is invaluable info for me. I now can relate to it as diagnostic test characteristics like sensitivity and specificity along the ROC curve.

Looking forward to watching the second Jamieson video link series.

3. karlo

Thank Brad Chadsey, guide at Evergreen in Hakuba and a heli-guide in Alaska. He is the one that shared the videos with me. Anyone would enjoy and learn a lot skiing and riding with him.

4. locknload

locknload Booting up Skier

Good stuff. The compression test is interesting and does give you a good sense of which layer may be prone to failure. I find the ECT, Extended Column Test, to be much more illustrative of the propensity for a weak layer to propagate through a longer piece or slab of snow.

karlo likes this.
  5. Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny Getting off the lift Skier

BGreen and karlo like this.

6. karlo

Woah! That would give anyone pause. Nice video by Matt.