• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Newest member of the Squaw dogs team
image.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^ I've actually seen this at Alpine!
:golfclap:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where do the dogs stay in the Summer?
Each Avy dog has an owner/trainer who is a ski patrol member. The dog always goes home with their owner/trainer and they are also family pets. Sometimes the dogs will come to work with a secondary trainer designated by the owner. In the summer, the dogs stay with their owners and they do various training to keep their skills sharp.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
G. and I baby sat a Big Sky patrol dog one summer when his patroller partner went to Alaska to work on a wilderness river fishing trip. We knew the patroller and dog as we worked at Big Sky at the time. The dog was not the most energetic animal, when we went on hikes with him he would walk slower and slower until finally refusing to go any further. He was a pleasure to have around the house as he ignored the cats, which they appreciated.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The dog was not the most energetic animal, when we went on hikes with him he would walk slower and slower until finally refusing to go any further

Maybe temps? Loki is so sensitive to heat. He'll lag on a neighborhood walk if it's over 60* and sunny. Winter is an entirely different story.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Maybe temps? Loki is so sensitive to heat. He'll lag on a neighborhood walk if it's over 60* and sunny. Winter is an entirely different story.
r
Could have been lookin back on it now. Whatever it was we liked having him around as our long time dog companion Whup was only recently gone to wherever good dogs finally go.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I much prefer seeing new pups and active dogs doing their job but we must also pay tribute to the avvy dogs who have served their time and have crossed the rainbow bridge.

This was posted today on Mt Hood Meadows page about a faithful Avalanche Dog who pass during the summer.
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 4.49.47 PM.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@skiki nice post.
Let's all try to keep this thread going. It feels like it was dormant for too long before I bumped for the Sundance addition.

Rally for Avalanche and Rescue Dogs!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid