• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Avalanche at Alpine Meadows

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
i still think that (A) blaming patrol is not helpful. (B) Saying “this is backcountry” is not helpful either, because it is not backcountry, it is a resort and your expectation of risk is fundamentally different.
50%. I don’t think anyone suggests that it’s backcountry when inbounds.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am confident that the Alpine Patrol was "super cautious" on the day of the accident as all patrols that I am familiar with are "super cautious" every day. Inbounds avalanches can and do occur in any avalanche prone terrain whether backcountry or inbounds. As @4ster states, the mountains are not Disneyland and the patrol cannot completely eliminate the risk. That is why it is called avalanche mitigation not avalanche elimination. There has been a tremendous amount of study, training and historical documentation at all ski areas that have avalanche terrain. The technology and understanding of the metamorphosis of snow and the mechanics of how avalanches release has significantly increased over time but the risk will probably never be completely eliminated. The snowpack characteristics are constantly changing with time, temperature and wind effects. Inbounds avalanches are very unfortunate but are very rare.
@ZionPow you are stating the obvious. Every time a fatal avalanche occurs inbounds is an extraordinary occurrence. And in some way it does represent a failure of the mitigation effort. Nobody is trying to blame patrol for this it is nature and things happen, but there must be some lessons learned. These guys (patrol) are great and they work their asses off to try to keep everyone safe. Im sure they are heartbroken over what happened. Lessons learned are helpful, Monday morning quarterbacking is not helpful.
Pretty sure @ZionPow is an experienced patroller at a Class A Avalanche resort. I don’t read his post as ”Monday morning quarterbacking” :huh:

This is a tragic event that hits close to home for many on here & any speculating should probably be discussed in the inbounds avalanche thread.
Knowing all three of you, I can safely say:
  • Alexzn wasn't saying that ski patrol wasn't being cautious on Friday when this happened, only that an incident like this puts everyone on their guard a little more. And certainly Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows Ski Patrol does not take avalanche mitigation lightly. Alex knows that.
  • ZionPow is right. Its avalanche mitigation, not avalanche control. You just can't control Mother Nature.
  • I don't recall anyone saying that this was backcountry, or speculating that patrol or the skiers involved did anything wrong, just that it is an unfortunate incident and people paid the price. One died, one is going to be in a long recovery, and others who are close to these two who will be helping in the grief process.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It has certainly been a tough weekend. This hit way too close to home for me. I used to be close with one of those who were involved in this situation. Seeing or hearing about these things breaks my heart. I am sorry for the loss of life and thankful it was not a lot worse. Safety is always my number one topic on any given day, I know some things cannot be avoided and nature has its ways. Just sucks.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

A California man died in an avalanche. Now, a Tahoe ski resort is being sued.

Katie Dowd | on February 15, 2021

A popular Tahoe ski resort has been sued by a man involved in a fatal avalanche last year.

Kaley Bloom was skiing with his friend Cole Comstock on the morning of Jan. 17, 2020 at Alpine Meadows Ski Resort. According to the suit, the pair were on an open, in-bound ski run near Scott Chute when an avalanche tore through the area. Bloom "watched as his friend Cole got caught up and overtaken," the complaint, filed in Placer County Superior Court, claims.

Comstock, 34, died of his injuries. A Plumas News story published shortly after his death says he suffered head trauma after hitting a tree. Comstock's wife, Caitlin, said Bloom had injuries to his lower body. The suit alleges Bloom now has "severe and permanent lower-body injuries."

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Figures I guess. Guess I might take a swing at it if it was me in the US. Hard to see it being a case that a lawyer would take in Europe without some specific evidence of negligence.

Wonder if it matters that it it was not an asphyxiation injury/death? Although the article doesn't seem to indicate that it is a joint action with the widow?

Sponsor