• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Austrian in an Italian Suit: Blossom Follow Me SL - Video Review

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My pure hard-snow ski this season has been a pair of Blossom SLs I got at an excellent price from @Brian Finch. (Ditto for the blue print parka in the appended pics. If Brian gets hit by the beer truck my gear situation is gonna deteriorate quickly.) They are a couple, three years old, but they were mint, with a nice four degree edge. I doubt the ski has changed beyond NGT. This is Blossom's full-on race ski, but I don't really race slalom. I'm on the 155. (5' 7", 140) I put my old Marker piston plate on them.

Last year I was on the Rossi Hero ST Ti @162. Prior to that for a couple years I had a circa 2011 Völkl consumer SL. I have longer, wider skis, too.

This is a great ski for the assertive northeastern skier. It has excellent grip without making you feel like you're on a pogo stick. If you're slipping, it's you, not the ski. For a 155 it's very calm and reassuring. It won't launch you unless you ask it to. (Then it will. Try this at your peril.) Snow feel is excellent - quieter than a Fischer, but more communicative than some of the really damp skis out there. It can certainly carve long radius arcs, but, for me, at age 55, past a certain point I just get too nervous on a ski that short with that much potential energy in it. I am having a little trouble getting the base really saturated. Maybe it's just because it sees so much use on really abrasive snow.

I loved the feel of the Rossi ST Ti, but ultimately it just didn't have the bite I'm looking for in a hard snow carver, so I sold them. The old Racetigers had a bit more forgiving tip and a little more overall flex, which I happened to like. But objectively they and the Blossom are equally good skis.

Who's it for? Hard to imagine a much better short turn ski for the aging but distinguished east coast gravel-for-breakfast ex-racer type. It's an Austrian in an Italian suit.

Who's it not for? Someone who doesn't ski arc to arc in his or her sleep; it's not a generalist.

Insider tip: Don't mistake the obscurity of the brand as a mark of inferiority: These things rip.

The appended video and stills are from Mont Ste. Anne, QC, after a thaw and hard refreeze. Very firm and loud frozen granular.

MSA2018_01.jpg
FB_IMG_1519777584293.jpg
MSA2018_02.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Jacket is killer. Whole kit and the skiing looks great.
Great skis. Always have been. My son had the good luck of having very real deal WC Nordica's built by them.
I may need find a pair of White-Outs........Actually know where to find them, need to buy them!

Great post......

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
4/0.5 ? that's gnarly. Should be harder to release on hardpack - do you find it so?

Also last time I skied that, with a soft race ski, my knee didn't like it very much - if you're not precise and soft with it, you (well, at least I did) get quite some chatter from it.

I now wonder if that has the same effect as an aggressive cuff setup with a mellow side bevel?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
4/0.5 ? that's gnarly. Should be harder to release on hardpack - do you find it so?

I actually don't know what the base edge is at. Whatever Brian had Edgewise do. I've just barely skimmed it once with a stone. It's responsive, for sure. I think if I were going to use this as a true general-purpose frontside ski - e.g., for bumps as well as groomers, I might back off this configuration. For pure hard-snow groomer skiing it seems fine.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually don't know what the base edge is at. Whatever Brian had Edgewise do. I've just barely skimmed it once with a stone. It's responsive, for sure. I think if I were going to use this as a true general-purpose frontside ski - e.g., for bumps as well as groomers, I might back off this configuration. For pure hard-snow groomer skiing it seems fine.

My pair from Brian have the same tune. I was a bit nervous about it at first, but it was fine. No, it was great! No problem releasing, and it didn’t hurt my wonky knee at all. I didn’t have nice groomers for mine....it had snowed (which is a good thing), but the surface beneath was a weird popcorny textured ice with some greasy spots after 3” of rain 3 days earlier. The new snow quickly got skied off into piles (which the Blossoms just skied through as if they weren’t there). I could feel the texture of the snow beneath my feet but the skis weren’t nervous at all. Very composed. I skied on some large-ish rollers, turning with very soft edges on the backsides....no problem. I didn’t get launched and I didn’t feel the need to actively absorb the rollers, either. I did sense the skis wanting to crank up the speed, but with the holiday week and lots of skiers of varying abilities out there, I couldn’t let them run as much. Next time.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
If you are looking for a bad review of Blossom you won't get it from me.
Now that I have several days on them, I'm impressed by how big the sweet spot is.
Today, with 3" of new snow on top of groomed, that big tip did all the work.

IMG_0414.JPG