• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Augment Masters skis - GS World Cup Pro and SL World Cup Pro

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Augment: to make greater, more numerous, larger, or more intense

There is a serious new (Race) kid in town!

Most of you race ski fans out there are familiar with the major brands you see on the WC (even if the actual ski is not what is claimed on the top sheet!!!) and the similar looking race stock versions you find in your race ski shop but I suspect only a very few of you have noticed the emergence of a new brand that is rapidly gaining success at the top levels of the sport.

So, welcome to Augment skis, probably one of the most competitive new brands to emerge on the race scene for a long time to challenge the Head/Atomic/Rossignol podium hegemony. A select few of you may have heard of them in their previous branding as CROC skis (no relation to these funny shoes!) as used by Tim Jitloff from the USST on the WC. Due to legal challenges around the CROC name the Company decided to invest in the product rather than squander funds on legal fees and so the skis are now branded as AUGMENT.

While the brand may be new, the depth and experience of the people behind them is substantial with several of the design team having come from other leading Austrian brands. As part of their initial entrance into the North American market there have been a few top coaches and athletes on the skis this season, prior to a bigger launch and availability for next season, with top quality race skis as well as a range of all mountain skis.

So what makes them different? Augment claims that the factory has an objective to have the best quality product and finish in the industry. And they are all built and hand-crafted in their own factory in Austria. Augment is a real ski maker, controlling the quality of the product, not just a brand name contracting out the build.

The race skis can be ordered with a flex rating of 1-10 with 1 being full-on WC stiffness and 10 being at the opposite end of the stiffness spectrum. Now as many of you will know from some of the previous PugSki discussions on the (mystical?) flex properties of unobtanium WC race skis this is quite a radical departure for the market!. Typically most racers not at the very top level have had, at most, a choice of Soft/medium/stiff flexes. Being able to select to a much more granular level is a luxury not normally available to most of us! There is also a choice of race plates so you can further select to meet your binding preference. The standard choice is for the Look R22 plate)or a flat ski. On the FIS skis there is also an option of the Augment Aluminum plate. A refreshing change to be able to dial the spec in to your choice rather than being captive to a particular binding.

Of course, that all sounds good, but the crucial question remains, can Augment really produce a competitive race ski that will deliver results for all levels of racers, not just a select few.? Well, I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a couple of pairs of their non-FIS race skis to test, a 185 WC GS Pro and a 165 WC SL Pro.

But, wait you say, ScotsSkier has always advocated using the FIS skis, not the non-FIS?. Well, guilty as charged, so this was going to be a tough test!. And given I have tested most of the leading brands and my personal race quiver includes race stock (and some ex WC/Noram stock) from Rossignol, Blizzard, Atomic, Head and Fischer I must admit to having some initial skepticism. But in the interests of research….ogsmile

Looking at the test skis as delivered was a very pleasant surprise. The build quality was top-class, at least on a par with Blossom skis, which I use as a quality benchmark for the industry. Both pairs were very well constructed and finished, the bases had a nice cross-hatch grind and the edges had been properly prepped with the tell tale ceramic disc edger grind that you want on tech skis. Plus, a nice touch, the top sheet is chamfered to the sidewall from the factory so very little extra work required there to make them fully race ready (this is normally a time consuming but necessary task on most new race skis). I thought at first the skis had been put through a full race finish but, on checking, turns out they come that way from the factory. And both these pairs came to me straight from the SIA/WWSRA demo where they had been heavily skied because every racer wanted to give them a try. So, top marks for quality, it appears the factory is indeed living up to their quality objectives!. Prior to skiing them I refreshed the edges with a diamond stone, which took minimal effort to restore them to race ready finish, and judging by the edge sharpness, definitely a top race quality edge material on them.

So….to snow! Well that was the plan, but the Tahoe weather gods had different ideas! Just when I wanted some real hard-pack and race courses to test them properly, it kept dumping new snow so they sat in my truck for several days!

Augment Giant Slalom Pro

fullsizeoutput_3ec1.jpeg

The GS Pro is Augment’s Masters Race GS ski, tested in 185/25m size (also available in 176/19 and 181/21). The test ski had a .8/3 tune, 107/68/92 dimensions, Flex 4 rating and was mounted with the Look R22 race plate with SPX15 Rockerflex bindings.

The Masters category of GS skis has become popular with many Masters racers as being a bit more user-friendly than a full FIS ski and also a bit more versatile. I’m not normally a big fan of this category as I have found some of them to be less responsive and lower performance than the FIS W 30m GS ski I normally use. Some skis in this category are also a bit wider in the waist at 70+ (eg the Rossignol Hero Master) so I was happy to see that Augment have kept this ski to a 68 waist width.
First impressions – apart from wow, great to get back on a race ski after 2 weeks on my powder boards! – quick responses, good edge hold and very easy turn initiation, roll onto the new edge and it hooks up immediately and progressively. But this was hero snow so after a couple of runs, time to put them through their paces a bit more. We had a 35m SG course set for training so let’s see how they work there because I suspect that may be more demanding than they are built for. Hmm, actually performed pretty well, despite the ruts and holes in the course (which of course no GS ski is going to ride as well as a SG ski). Is this really just a Masters ski not an FIS ski? Ultimate performance is much closer to a FIS ski than most of the competition while still being user-friendly with less technical input effort required than the FIS ski.

Over the next few days I continued to ski them as my daily driver in a wider range of conditions including 27m GS courses, several inches of new snow and hardpack (well as near hardpack as we have got so far this season!) And I continued to be impressed by the overall performance, never felt the need to swap to a different ski. Compared to my normal FIS W 30m ski they ultimately give up a little bit of stability and rebound at the outer edge of the performance envelope but, to be realistic, this is only discernable when pushed to the limit in a race course and then only if the skier is used to an FIS ski. Also, unlike so many other skis in this category, the WC GS Pro is built to the same quality construction as the FIS ski. This is not just some wimpy look-a-like with race graphics but is perfectly capable of being a full-time Masters/U16 race ski and will stand up to the associated stresses.

To summarize, the Augment WC GS Pro is a serious contender as a GS race ski where there are no FIS requirements. For a large percentage of club/Masters racers this could be an excellent choice instead of a FIS GS ski. They are likely to gain much more - and be faster in the course - from the easier turn initiation than anything they might give up at the extremes of the performance envelope. It remains stable and composed under race course conditions but is still versatile enough to be used in a wider range of conditions than the full race stock ski without necessarily being a top level racer. And, not just for racers, this would also make a great choice for advanced skiers looking for a GS ski to slay the groomers

My previous benchmark ski in this category was the Atomic Redster G9 RS masters ski (183/24). The Augment more than matched up to the Atomic and is now my new leader in the category. Definitely a premium GS ski!

Augment Slalom Pro

Mskz6MypSzuhw8k0KiQIRQ.jpg
AsO6+VRyQ%OZ9IY1hGLRcw.jpg

The Slalom Pro is Augment’s Non-FIS slalom ski, tested in 165/12.5r size . The test ski had a 1/3 tune, 118/67/103dimensions, Flex 6 rating and was mounted with the Look R22 race plate with SPX15 Rockerflex bindings. Interestingly, and unusually, Augment’s non-FIS slalom has the exact same dimensions /radius as the FIS slalom ski, not the altered dimensions/smaller radius normally found in most non-FIS slalom skis. From the spec sheets it appears the primary difference from the FIS ski is the flex ratings. Weight shows as the same so it does not appear the FIS ski uses an extra layer of metal in construction. Like the GS Pro, this shares construction with its FIS sibling so it is actually a real slalom ski that can be used in gates, not just a small radius ski masquerading as a slalom ski so like many of the slalom-lite skis in this category!.

But looks and specs are all very well - how does it perform? Well, it really likes to turn – as you would expect! – and it initiates effortlessly. Just roll on to the new edge and the ski will engage and really likes to come across the hill at right angles to the fall-line So, for me, This took a little bit of getting used to as I am more used to an FIS slalom ski which, while it likes to dive into the turn also likes to get back into the fall-line a bit more. The Slalom Pro prefers to round out the turns more than the FIS slalom ski that I normally use. Once I took account of this characteristic I was able to push the ski hard in a variety of both soft ( 4-6 inches of new snow!) and harder surfaces. And it performed really well in both conditions, I didn’t feel the need to change skis in the soft stuff, the Slalom Pro charged through without issue and I did not experience it being deflected as you might expect. I didn’t have the opportunity to run gates with it but based on my test experience I have no doubts it would perform in the course.

Now, a bit more about my previous observation about the ski liking to come across the fall-line. This is not a criticism of the ski, just pointing out the subtle difference between this model and the FIS model. Also the test ski was a 6 flex which is at the softer end of the spectrum and probably contributed a bit to this attribute. Absent skills and experience in the slalom course, this may be a plus for 95%+ of users.! For those who want a real deal slalom ski for fun on groomers (plus a range of other conditions!) or who are starting out/trying to master slalom gates, this will provide a more user friendly experience and possibly make progress in gates faster. The hard-core experienced slalom skier will prefer a bit more nervousness to allow the ski to change direction more quickly into the fall-line like an FIS ski which, with the right skill set, is faster. However you could still very comfortably hustle this ski through a slalom course. Definitely a cut above most of the non-FIS competitors (the slalom-lites) and it is built to withstand regular use in slalom gates. A great choice for anyone starting out in slalom or Masters, and those who want something with most of the performance of a FIS slalom but with a little less need to keep diving into arc to arc short radius turns.

So, based on my test experience, Augment looks like they are going to be a real contender in the race ski market when they launch to a wider market here in North America. A premium quality product, in the same price band as competing brands, with the ability to choose flex, plates, bindings to suit individual preferences.

Augment: to make greater, more numerous, larger, or more intense
Looks like the brand lives up to its definition! I expect them to be regularly seen on race podiums here next season just as they have in Europe. I really look forward to getting on their FIS skis!

Stop Press! Just received a 165 FIS slalom and a 188 FIS W GS to test. And used the GS ski at Masters Nationals at Mammoth last week so the test report will be based on real race conditions! Watch this space!.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
fullsizeoutput_75b9.jpeg
For $hits and giggles I took out the SL Pro today at Rose and in the perrrfect windbuff Tahoe corduroy I got to experience perfection..or really what I perceive a masters slalom ski perfection would be. I will leave the build and flex conversations to @ScotsSkier but what I will talk about is one additional thing that seperates the Augment SL Pro from the rest of the "Masters Slalom" skis and that is what is offered as a connection from the ski to the boot and that is the binding system..or lack of or really different options. You see, where most manufacturers say..good enough is good enough and a real solid system binding is..good enough and for most skiers, they are probably right..anyone two thirds serious is going with a full bore World Cup FIS level ski. Well, besides offereing probably too many flexes for people who will lament for days on end to what base structure to put on a ski. Augment is adding another level for confustion on to which binding to put on their race skis. This again is where Augment is separating themselves from the pack. Augment as an independent ski builder as no binding ties or affliations this gives them the unique opportunty to offer their skis with basically any binding you want..or even don't want because the skis are also offered flat, without any binding or plate.

The Augment SL Pro's we have been testing have the Look R22 WC plate with the Look SPX 15 Rocker Race binding, a combination that you will not find on any Masters/Pro level ski, this combination is usually reserved for the top teir skis. This is just one combination available, you can chose Marker's Piston plate or even a flat plate to put on the binding of your choice. What you will not find on these is your typical 'tool less' system binding options what is the cost for all of this? Well, money. Sure most of the masters slalom skis have a street price of around $1,000 these Augments will run you more....flat before you even start talking about plates..let alone bindings and if you read @ScotsSkier's review above...they are worth every penny.

Last edited:

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hmmm.....The Rossi Masters SL/GS and Dynastar Masters SL/GS skis come w/R22 race plates and the Look SPX 15s.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm.....The Rossi Masters SL/GS and Dynastar Masters SL/GS skis come w/R22 race plates and the Look SPX 15s.
Yes, they do, that is why I said "most"...But Rossignol and Dynastar also do not offer them with the choice of different brand plates...let alone flat.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Augment Skis
What is the difference between the “cheater” SL in a stiffer flex versus the FIS SL in a softer flex? Is there a point where the 2 intersect? Or is the flex pattern different? If I read @ScotsSkier ’s review correctly, the dimensions are the same. I am assuming construction is different, and perhaps, durability?

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Augment Skis
What is the difference between the “cheater” SL in a stiffer flex versus the FIS SL in a softer flex? Is there a point where the 2 intersect? Or is the flex pattern different? If I read @ScotsSkier ’s review correctly, the dimensions are the same. I am assuming construction is different, and perhaps, durability?

Yes, the dimensions and radius are the same on both the Pro and the FIS slaloms. Stiffness wise the WC SL runs 37-43 and the WC Pro SL runs a softer range of 40-50. Construction is the same and - very importantly! - build quality and durability is the same for both of them. This is unusual in that for almost every other brand the masters/Non-FIS slalom does NOT have the same quality of construction as the FIS ski and, as a result, will not stand up to frequent use in gates (running slalom gates is one of the toughest durability tests for a ski) . Thus the Augment Pro ski is one of the very few non-FIS slaloms that I would recommend for regular use in gates.

They do have a slightly different feel, not just attributable to the flex. The PRO is a little bit more user friendly, slightly less razor-edge responses than the FIS ski, which may make it more suitable for less experienced/older racers or for free-ski use.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's deflection for a standard weight. I don't think there's a standard protocol though for all makers. But, I suspect a company will use the same for all it's skis it tests. So within a maker a 40 is the same between models. Unlike boots.

They don't put numbers to torsion tests though, or publish them afaik. So, the Fis and Pro could have the same flex but different torsional stiffness and character. Especially in tips and tails.

Years ago, the ski mags actually used to test flexes in three places. But you only had 2-3 skis per company to test.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried the World Cup Pro SL at A-Basin, and I have to admit the result was "no test." It had been over a year since I had been on a slalom ski. Just as I was beginning to remember how to work a SL ski, I ran into soft snow (usually a good thing, I know). I did take them into icy bumps right at the end, and they seemed to do ok there. I did notice they really wanted me to be way more forward, but that is true of any slalom.

I think I would have had to warm up / re-acclimate on my own slaloms first to form a reliable impression.

Too bad, because I was really curious about them.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I also skied the World Cup SL Pro at A-Basin. Fantastic ski, but for those who "choose" to ski a small stiff SL ski as an all-mountain option... more power to them!

The skis did everything you would expect of a high quality WC SL ski. What most stood out for me was the on snow feel; even on the early morning refreeze snow, these skis are smoooooth (as were the AM77 Ti Carbon).

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
Thanks, @ScotsSkier . Can you explain the origin of the flex numbers? (You quoted 37-43 for the FIS and 40-50 for,the WC Pro).

Wendy, what Scotskier told you was correct, along with James. Every ski is tested using the exact same weight pulling down on a hydraulic arm. The number is the deflection based upon that weight. Lower number, less deflection, stiffer ski. So what you're seeing in actuality is part of the pairing process of skis. Once 100 skis are made, they are tested, marked, and then paired with the closest flexing ski. The Master Pro skis run on the softer side of the flex range, 40-50mm, than the FIS skis at 37-43mm.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I also skied the World Cup SL Pro at A-Basin. Fantastic ski, but for those who "choose" to ski a small stiff SL ski as an all-mountain option... more power to them!

The skis did everything you would expect of a high quality WC SL ski. What most stood out for me was the on snow feel; even on the early morning refreeze snow, these skis are smoooooth (as were the AM77 Ti Carbon).

Yes, that is the dominant “brand characteristic” (along with outstanding build quality) for Augment skis. They combine terrific smoothness with top class performance. Think Porsche GT3 ride/handling characteristics. And what this means, particularly on the race skis, is that you are not bounced about as much so you can keep accelerating through the ruts/ holes/ crap you find in a race course and improve your times without getting beat up and getting tired so performance can be maintained longer. (Having recently run a 1’20” GS course at nationals after earlier in the day running SG I can vouch for the value of this!)

Sponsor

Staff online