• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Full disclosure: I am not a racer. Just a short fat old dude that likes to ski. I own several pairs of Atomic FIS SL. Including the new S9 FIS SL. They are my DD when I am in the NE. They are also among my favorite skis for spring skiing.

I demoed the FIS SL 165 cm at Mount Rose. The ski is legit. The dampness and smoothness are a level beyond the Atomics. Very easy to ski. Good rebound at the end of the turn. Slick transition. No drama going back onto the snow at the top of the turn. A very slick and controllable ski. Great for free skiing.

Also demoed the 88. Nice ski but became chopped liver after running the FIS SL. Didn’t demo the FIS GS. So can’t say much. But then running any decent GS with an open throttle will get you pass pull most places.
Actually it was the AM77..not the 88

Wasn't the Fis Sl flex 2? The second stiffest?
IIRC, it is a 4.

I will have a few with us in Colorado.

AM77 Carbon Ti 175
AM77 Carbon 167
FIS SL 155
Masters SL 165

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I
Augment have showed up on the feet on some of the youths in past seasons in our club. Haven't tried, but interesting concept where normal club racers gets a little "closer" to race room products. Or at least you get the feeling of it ogsmile Legit.
Choosing the right flex is a combination of ability (technique/strength) and course set, not so much your size (length or weight) unless you're on one of the very extreme sides of the scale. For free skiing ... how fast can you go and again, how good are you (technique/strength)? These skis are designed to go voll gas for athletes that are very good. Only having heard stories, I wonder ... can you ski them properly in public in e.g. Aspen or Vail w/o getting in trouble with the patrol?

I regularly ski 188/30 FIS GS Atomics and Volkls (as well as, this year, Rossi FIS 165 SL, thanks to @ScotsSkier ) I also have the woman's old spec FIS GS 183/23s (two Volkls).

Yes, you can ski them properly in public, if mildly careful, and if you pick your runs and areas - with no threat of tickets pulled. I'll give specifics of the areas I frequent, but you can extrapolate to your own locale.

I've had no problems at all four areas I go to regularly: Copper Mtn, Winter Park/Mary Jane, Loveland Basin and A Basin; but Loveland and most of A Basin just don't have groomers that are steep enough or long enough at pitch for these skis (whereas the FIS SL skis work fine at all four areas). Both Winter Park and Copper cater to racers, practicing all over fast, and racing in courses.

The ski patrollers at these areas look for control and slope awareness, not speed per se, in my experience. When I am approaching them, I just demonstrate I'm in control with a few extra well-carved turns to show that I can turn, slow down or stop on a dime, and am well aware of those around me. They smile and wave, no problem (whatever speed I'm going, short of SG or Downhill speeds). Sometimes I stop and chat with them. (Sometimes they get bored or lonely just standing there keeping folks safe.)

Optimally, one wants a slope that really allows true GS turns at speed, rather than slopes that are too gradual or have only short pitches that are steep enough. (For example, at A Basin, only Montezuma Basin, just barely, has a groomer slope that works well for GS skis).

Both Winter Park and Copper have slopes that regularly have official GS, SG and Downhill courses set up on them, and are geared towards catering to GS skiers. The best runs at both places have held high level race camps (Copper & Winter Park) and/or national championship events (Winter Park) on a regular basis. Winter Park, in particular, has a top to bottom slope usually dedicated to race practice or courses, and nobody bats an eye if you are doing GS or SG on those slopes for hours - except at the bottom, where they string orange fences to slow folks down, and expect you to take the hint.

James

Out There
Instructor
I

I regularly ski 188/30 FIS GS Atomics and Volkls (as well as, this year, Rossi FIS 165 SL, thanks to @ScotsSkier ) I also have the woman's old spec FIS GS 183/23s (two Volkls).

Yes, you can ski them properly in public, if mildly careful, and if you pick your runs and areas - with no threat of tickets pulled. I'll give specifics of the areas I frequent, but you can extrapolate to your own locale.

I've had no problems at all four areas I go to regularly: Copper Mtn, Winter Park/Mary Jane, Loveland Basin and A Basin; but Loveland and most of A Basin just don't have groomers that are steep enough or long enough at pitch for these skis (whereas the FIS SL skis work fine at all four areas). Both Winter Park and Copper cater to racers, practicing all over fast, and racing in courses.

The ski patrollers at these areas look for control and slope awareness, not speed per se, in my experience. When I am approaching them, I just demonstrate I'm in control with a few extra well-carved turns to show that I can turn, slow down or stop on a dime, and am well aware of those around me. They smile and wave, no problem (whatever speed I'm going, short of SG or Downhill speeds). Sometimes I stop and chat with them. (Sometimes they get bored or lonely just standing there keeping folks safe.)

Optimally, one wants a slope that really allows true GS turns at speed, rather than slopes that are too gradual or have only short pitches that are steep enough. (For example, at A Basin, only Montezuma Basin, just barely, has a groomer slope that works well for GS skis).

Both Winter Park and Copper have slopes that regularly have official GS, SG and Downhill courses set up on them, and are geared towards catering to GS skiers. The best runs at both places have held high level race camps (Copper & Winter Park) and/or national championship events (Winter Park) on a regular basis. Winter Park, in particular, has a top to bottom slope usually dedicated to race practice or courses, and nobody bats an eye if you are doing GS or SG on those slopes for hours - except at the bottom, where they string orange fences to slow folks down, and expect you to take the hint.
I only know Abasin really. I would basically agree. When Mikaela and her mom where skiing on gs skis there, they were doing Lenawee face > Dercum's Gulch > High Noon or Sun Dance. Maybe both, can't remember. @Doug Briggs might.
Dercum's Gulch always has me concerned if it's crowded. You need head on a swivel. I don't trust anyone, and there are def the occasional very unsafe skiers there.

Mikaela wasn't skiing partucularly fast, but it wasn't slow at all. They stopped maybe 2-3 times a run to let things clear and talk. They were really good at working the crowd. With the amount of people there it really wasn't possible to safely try and keep up.

https://www.arapahoebasin.com/uploaded/trail maps/A-Basin_1819_frontside.jpg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice memory. Fun.

More clumsily, I've done that too on GS skis, fairly fast - on those slopes, early morning before the crowds. (On GS FIS WC Atomic W 188/30s, same spec/brand skis, ones that were part of a batch that some high level woman's skier selected from, that then got passed on to a masters racer, and then to me, after its one year of use as his race day ski.)

Part of the fun for me is to sometimes imagine I'm Jean Claude Killy (so fluid) or Carl Schranz (arms forward, Austrian style), or the Herminator (arms stretched out to his sides like an airplane or a gliding bird). Pretend.

Large parts of that route, even if not crowded (early morning on weekdays), are fairly flat, and would call for a pretty relaxed style, rather than strong GS turning. Usually,on an old snow day, I use cheater GS skis there (180/18 or so).

I've only seen Mikaela, her coaches and gate folk at Loveland Basin, where in the past she often has rented space for training slalom at the main area, early and late season. The mountain staff orange-fences off a long swath the length of Ptarmigan (fairly low angle, mostly). Her folks set up gates, and she and maybe one other racer run slalom gates with several coaches watching.

https://skiloveland.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Loveland-Ski-Resort-Trail-Map-Web.jpg

(If you click once on the map, it enlarges so you can see the Ptarmigan ski run. Her gates go down Firebowl and Firecut, actually.)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I have skied that area a little bit last year.
Loveland Feb 2016.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. Amazing. Straighter lines! Very direct! Just wonderful, thanks.

When the racers are just free skiing, they tend to be a lot turnier, seems like, even on GS skis - possibly more exercise, but also this may make them slower, more compatible with other recreational skiers. Recreationally skiing, they seem to be only skiing as fast as Mikaela is in these videos when they are on SG skis. (That's just from my perspective skiing along side them or just behind them, however, so I'm not sure.)

Yeah, for a bit I was stumped as to location. Then I realized this is Loveland Valley, not Loveland Basin. (It's slightly down valley from the main area.) Two runs at the Valley are dedicated to racing, and other than beginners down below, few of the general public are ever down there, only racers of different levels (clubs, high schools, etc.). In the map I posted above, you can see the Valley by clicking once and then scrolling over to the left, to get the Valley. The racers tend to use the three runs to the right (west).

Man, on those videos the runs sure seem much longer and steeper, maybe, than they do when you're on them. For a while there, I thought the place might be Vail or some odd part of Copper. Nope.

I guess I'll have to ski the Valley more often! (Only been there once this season, during a blizzard, when lifts at the main area were closed. It's surprisingly nice, as you can see.)

Too bad, I think the Valley is only open to racers right now. Not sure. Guess I'll ask tomorrow, or next time I'm there, if I go to A Basin or Mary Jane instead.

James

Out There
Instructor

When the racers are just free skiing, they tend to be a lot turnier, seems like, even on GS skis - possibly more exercise, but also this may make them slower, more compatible with other recreational skiers. Recreationally skiing, they seem to be only skiing as fast as Mikaela is in these videos when they are on SG skis. (That's just from my perspective skiing along side them or just behind them, however, so I'm not sure.)

Yeah, for a bit I was stumped as to location. Then I realized this is Loveland Valley, not Loveland Basin. (It's slightly down valley from the main area.) Two runs at the Valley are dedicated to racing, and other than beginners down below, few of the general public are ever down there, only racers of different levels (clubs, high schools, etc.). In the map I posted above, you can see the Valley by clicking once and then scrolling over to the left, to get the Valley. The racers tend to use the three runs to the right (west).

Man, on those videos the runs sure seem much longer and steeper, maybe, than they do when you're on them. For a while there, I thought the place might be Vail or some odd part of Copper. Nope.

I guess I'll have to ski the Valley more often! (Only been there once this season, during a blizzard, when lifts at the main area were closed. It's surprisingly nice, as you can see.)

Too bad, I think the Valley is only open to racers right now. Not sure. Guess I'll ask tomorrow, or next time I'm there, if I go to A Basin or Mary Jane instead.
Phil has some Augments for demo at Abasin right now. Or wherever they're skiing - Loveland, Breck, Abay.
Post in this thread and request:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/13th-annual-may-at-a-basin.14602/page-13#post-356939

Here's full speed, same run:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
LRC uses Twist and Switch at the Valley for racing. Twist is FIS homogated for SL and GS. GS finishes at the bottom of the lift after a very flat section. Both are nice hills. They have had NorAm races there in November with WC athletes participating. Many national teams have trained there. It is as popular as Copper for early season tech training, but smaller and not so big a blip on the radar.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I

Thanks for the heads up. Not really familiar with the US ski areas or patrollers, have only heard stories from friends. When I'm on race skis 9 out of 10 times it's on a closed or partially closed piste. But this is in Scandinavia and normally also on times when there's no one else skiing but the group I'm with. When I'm on race skis in populated areas/times, I'm on Salomon LAB SL:s. But normally AM:s.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

Pretty sure the valley is closed to all except maybe the magic carpet for abject beginners.

B-Net is pulled at the Valley after the Derby, so racers will have run of the Basin after closing (usually under Ptarmigan and under Chair 6).

James

Out There
Instructor
Need to spray some water on that horrible, dry snow ogsmile
Well Are, Sweden looked like VT during the Wcup Campionships. Warm and wet, then brutally cold. Is it usually that bad?
What have you heard about the Augments? And flex #'s.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well Are, Sweden looked like VT during the Wcup Campionships. Warm and wet, then brutally cold. Is it usually that bad?
What have you heard about the Augments? And flex #'s.

Normally just cold. Can be very cold, but usually stable. Wind is more plausible head ache in January-February with the top having to be closed down. Super nice mountain though and a great village. The warm weather in this season — very out of character for Åre in February.
Augment seems like a solid, legit ski. Have no real experience as in usage as SS and others. Not sure it is a ”better” ski than other race skis. You can order all race skis in various flexes/models (mine are 28/32 S-Lab FIS) but not as many as Augment unless you have a future in racing or in the thick of it. Appealing proposition. What ever works.

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
Great review! Sounds pretty damn nice.
This was a 5, medium +, flex. Your 165lbs.
How would you recommend people decide on flex in general? I suppose in racing it's more difficult, as what feels good may not be fast. Any general rules for flex determination?

James, if this helps, we've been selling mostly 4-6 flex. We believe, not having the opportunity yet to compare to every competitor out there yet, that is how we best relate to other brands. Obviously that gives you a lot of flexibility to go even stiffer or softer as your preference determines.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have skied that area a little bit last year.
Loveland Feb 2016.

Wow. So Beautiful to watch, I almost cried.

Sponsor

Staff online