• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Attending the Lauberhorn races in Wengen

Christy

Putting on skis
Skier
Has anyone done this as a spectator? I'm planning ahead for next year and am already finding a lack of hotel availability, and I'm wondering if race/media people essentially take up all of Wengen and most spectators would stay in Interlaken. If one does stay in Interlaken, is there just a crush of people trying to get up to Wengen? I seem to remember Ted Ligety complaining about this. I do see some rooms in Wengen in the $550+ range, but there are plenty of reasonable rooms in Interlaken.

I've been to the area twice so I'm familiar with it, but not in winter or for the races. Any tips anyone has would be welcome.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Check out Lauterbrunnen for hotels if you are having problems getting a reasonable room in Wengen. It's one train ride away from Wengen. Downside is that Lauterbrunnen sits in a dark hole in January and has no charm. Also, not that many hotels. Interlaken is a bit of a hike from Wengen. Other option is to stay in Grindelwald and take the train to Kleine Scheidegg. The race starts on the hill (Lauberhorn) overlooking Kleine Scheidegg to the north. You can ski down to Wengen from there and take the train or lifts back up for your return trip to Grindelwald.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would think about Interlaken, as you can take a train to Lauterbrunnen then the other to Wengen. I've not been to Kleine Scheidegg but would think that Interlaken would have more availability as it's larger. Downside is that it's not in the mountains.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Try Murren- it's
I would think about Interlaken, as you can take a train to Lauterbrunnen then the other to Wengen. I've not been to Kleine Scheidegg but would think that Interlaken would have more availability as it's larger. Downside is that it's not in the mountains.
Try Murren - it's up the tram from Lauterbrunnen with stunning views.

TS
Christy

Christy

Putting on skis
Skier
Try Murren- it's

Try Murren - it's up the tram from Lauterbrunnen with stunning views.

Thanks, I've been to Murren twice and it is indeed stunning. It's a 3 part train/funicular journey to Wengen, so I didn't think it would be the most convenient place to stay, but maybe it's not a bad idea.

Sponsor

Staff online