• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomix Hawx Ultra *last* question

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
Is the *last* in the Alpine Hawx Ultra identical in width in the forefoot-size by size- when compared to the XTD? I have noticed the boot sole length varies across the range between the Prime and Ultra in either the alpine or touring versions.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
That is because of this
and for reference -- @onenerdykid is the dude behind Atomic boots. Like...he's the design director or product/group owner or some term like that. He leads their boot development program. Such an awesome resource. I highly highly recommend his series of podcasts on the Blister network.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is the *last* in the Alpine Hawx Ultra identical in width in the forefoot-size by size- when compared to the XTD? I have noticed the boot sole length varies across the range between the Prime and Ultra in either the alpine or touring versions.

I have the Hawx Ultra 130S and had the XTD 120's. They are very close in fit. The main difference is in the liner. Awesome boots. They are light and ski great. The do not offer the "damping" of a heavy boot like a Lange RS but once you get used to the slightly different feel you forget about it.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I have the Hawx Ultra 130S and had the XTD 120's. They are very close in fit. The main difference is in the liner. Awesome boots. They are light and ski great. The do not offer the "damping" of a heavy boot like a Lange RS but once you get used to the slightly different feel you forget about it.

Hi everyone!

SBrown linked my answer to Jeff's original question (that's a pretty cool trick, by the way) so you can click on that for the lowdown. One of the main goals behind the XTD boots is to have the same last parameters and geometry of the regular Ultra & Prime boots. As Ken points out, the main difference in fit has been liner related, but with the 20/21 season that changes and XTD boots use the same liner constructions found in the regular range of boots (that means same fit, same customization potential, same skiing performance).

In regards to BSL differences between Ultra & Prime, the Ultra boots utilize our thinnest wall thickness possible, which allows us to drop the BSLs of the Ultra & Ultra XTDs down to 300 & 302mm respectively. The Prime versions are ever so slightly thicker (and consequently heavier) and it also means we can go up to a more traditional BSL that many retailers & rental operators have been requesting.

And as for my official job title - I am the product manager of alpine & touring boots at Atomic. This means that I manage the complete range of boots at Atomic, from the first idea drawn on a bar napkin all the way up to finished product in a shop. I don't actually design the boots (there is a properly trained designer for that stuff) but I am always present at every step along the way.

Cheers!

TS
jeff foreman

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi everyone!

SBrown linked my answer to Jeff's original question (that's a pretty cool trick, by the way) so you can click on that for the lowdown. One of the main goals behind the XTD boots is to have the same last parameters and geometry of the regular Ultra & Prime boots. As Ken points out, the main difference in fit has been liner related, but with the 20/21 season that changes and XTD boots use the same liner constructions found in the regular range of boots (that means same fit, same customization potential, same skiing performance).

In regards to BSL differences between Ultra & Prime, the Ultra boots utilize our thinnest wall thickness possible, which allows us to drop the BSLs of the Ultra & Ultra XTDs down to 300 & 302mm respectively. The Prime versions are ever so slightly thicker (and consequently heavier) and it also means we can go up to a more traditional BSL that many retailers & rental operators have been requesting.

And as for my official job title - I am the product manager of alpine & touring boots at Atomic. This means that I manage the complete range of boots at Atomic, from the first idea drawn on a bar napkin all the way up to finished product in a shop. I don't actually design the boots (there is a properly trained designer for that stuff) but I am always present at every step along the way.

Cheers!
I