• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Atomic Vantage 90cti vs. Black Crows Orb?

Right Coast

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
i just received my Captis and they look awesome. Finish is as good if not better than any major manufacturer. Will be mounting Pivot 14's. It's going to be a long summer waiting to get them on snow. They look like they will be the perfect east coast tree / bump ski.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i just received my Captis and they look awesome. Finish is as good if not better than any major manufacturer. Will be mounting Pivot 14's. It's going to be a long summer waiting to get them on snow. They look like they will be the perfect east coast tree / bump ski.

Great to know! We'll both have to post a review next season. I'm going to mount mine with a pair of Pivot 12's that I have in my basement. (Just need a different sized brake).

@Right Coast , what are your stats (height, weight) and what size did you get? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to decide on length.

Right Coast

Skier
5'-9" /160lbs...went with the 178. Going to mount them 2-2.5 ahead of the line. The factory line is @ 5.8 back from true center. My mount point will be roughly centered between the tip and tail contact points of the base sitting on a flat surface (running surface).

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Great to know! We'll both have to post a review next season. I'm going to mount mine with a pair of Pivot 12's that I have in my basement. (Just need a different sized brake).

@Right Coast , what are your stats (height, weight) and what size did you get? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to decide on length.

Don't go too short. I would suggest the 178

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
5'-9" /160lbs...went with the 178. Going to mount them 2-2.5 ahead of the line. The factory line is @ 5.8 back from true center. My mount point will be roughly centered between the tip and tail contact points of the base sitting on a flat surface (running surface).
Thanks. What made you decide to mount at +2/+2.5 instead of on the factory line?

Right Coast

Skier
I prefer a centered stance on a twin tip for the terrain I ski...easier to pivot and slash if needed. Also, looking at the layup of the ski the center portion is pretty evenly tapered so having a poplar core without any metal underfoot or added stringers to reinforce the ski it just makes the tip easier to engage easpecially in tight areas. Plus I typically encounter firm bumps or skied out trees more often than fresh snow and I have other "storm" skis I would use in better conditions. These will be my everyday skis. FYI ...using a straight pull of a tape measure they measure 176.5 tip to tail.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer a centered stance on a twin tip for the terrain I ski...easier to pivot and slash if needed. Also, looking at the layup of the ski the center portion is pretty evenly tapered so having a poplar core without any metal underfoot or added stringers to reinforce the ski it just makes the tip easier to engage easpecially in tight areas. Plus I typically encounter firm bumps or skied out trees more often than fresh snow and I have other "storm" skis I would use in better conditions. These will be my everyday skis. FYI ...using a straight pull of a tape measure they measure 176.5 tip to tail.
Thanks, good to know!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
One of factors that I keep in the back of my mind is "If I was on..." After skiing a ski, I think "Boy, if I was on the XXX today would be the perfect day ski day". After I skied any of the Vantages (other than the Vantage X,), I never thought that. I was never out there on any of my ski days and thought "If I was on the Vantage 100, today would be the be the perfect day". Sure they are nice skis, and while I would be contect to ski them if I had to but they are not inspiring. [.

After skiing Atomic 90 CTi's all season, I kept thinking "these are the right skis for today's conditions" no matter what the conditions were. I can't say that I've felt that way about any of the skis in my quiver in the last 10 years. Very impressed with their versatility and edgehold.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, there are 2 pairs of Black Crows Captis skis at my house, 178 and 184. I took some measurements and this is what I came up with:

178 length: measured length tip to tail: 176.5; contact length: 151
184 length: measured length tip to tail: 183; contact length 153

For comparison, my ID Ones, at 176, which feel perfect and so well-balanced, are 174 tip to tail, and 155cm contact length.

Hmmmmm.

Right Coast

Skier
Vanhoskier
As a very wise man once said .. "better to buy the ski you need, not the ski you want" (Sierra Jim). Any ski in 184cm is a big ski, do you really "need" that much ski? For what it's worth I could handle that length and didn't even consider it for my intended use and I think we are skiing similar terrain.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vanhoskier
As a very wise man once said .. "better to buy the ski you need, not the ski you want" (Sierra Jim). Any ski in 184cm is a big ski, do you really "need" that much ski? For what it's worth I could handle that length and didn't even consider it for my intended use and I think we are skiing similar terrain.

A very wise post. :) Thanks for that.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Time for an update. I’ve skied the Captis (178) on scratchy groomers, some chunky crud, and eight inches of light powder. Mine are mounted on the line with Look Pivot 12’s.

This is a very, very fun, easy, playful, light ski. Edgehold is decent enough for the east coast, but not as tenacious as a metal-infused ski, and that’s fine.

They are probably one of the most well-balanced skis I’ve been on and the sweet spot is huge. They prefer long arcs and jibbing on the sides of the trail. On our powder day, they were magnificent in untracked snow in the glades and easy in bumps. I took them through some huge rollers and they absorbed easily, or caught tons of air, depending on my input. They are lively, rather than damp.

Overall, the Captis is a ski than inspires one to hoot and holler down each run.

Right Coast

Skier
Couldn't agree more. The Captis is an exceptional ski. Excellent in zipper line and weird bumps, new snow, old snow, hard snow and real east coast ice if you are willing to trust them. Very playful either skiing slow or fast. Probably the most well rounded ski I have been on. I scratched my head after the first three days on them wondering how one ski could be so functional. I'm sure a heavy power type of skier could over power it if they tried but they reward a finesse / technical skier . One word description "fun". Mark Abma describes the ski perfectly on the Black Crows site.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
After skiing Atomic 90 CTi's all season, I kept thinking "these are the right skis for today's conditions" no matter what the conditions were. I can't say that I've felt that way about any of the skis in my quiver in the last 10 years. Very impressed with their versatility and edgehold.

I have never been on any of the Black Crows so can't really comment on them, but i do have 15 days this year on the Vantage 90 CTI, and i can only say that i LOVE this ski in ANY condition. In each discipline of skiing you can find a better ski, but overall i have never been on a better compromise. I am actually enjoying this ski all over the mountain, and in any condition i have been in. Last week i was in a resort with 1500 meter of verticals, and that means very different conditions on trips from top to bottom, and with the Vantage i never felt i needed another tool. I actually find it a very fun ski! I do rail arcs in perfect conditions at the top, and i do perfect arcs on near ice at the bottom without wanting any other tool along the way. I can honestly say, that in the last 10 years, i have not had anything as versatile as this.
Normally in France, the instructors ride Rossi/Dynastar/Salomon, but have seen a fair share of instructors on the Vantage 90 CTI in both Saint Sorlin and Val Thorens.
I do not find the back ski too stiff at all, and i do think this is one of the better balanced skis out there.

Roadrunner

Booting up
Skier
Have skied the Atomic Vantage 90 this season out west in all kinds of conditions from crud to powder. In my opinion the best all mountain ski I have had. Big ups for these

PSA

Skier
@Wendy and @Right Coast, I'm wondering how you feel about the Captis length. I'm 5'-11" and 155, planning to use these in tight bumps and trees, and I'm trying to decide between 178s and 184s. Any suggestions?

Right Coast

Skier
@Wendy and @Right Coast, I'm wondering how you feel about the Captis length. I'm 5'-11" and 155, planning to use these in tight bumps and trees, and I'm trying to decide between 178s and 184s. Any suggestions?
You are right on the fence, tall enough for the 84 but light enough for the 78. The Captis is a very good east coast bump and tree ski. Very light set up when mounted with Look Pivots I have about 50 days on mine now and they are the best ski I have ever been on for my type of skiing. When conditions allow I’m in the trees and the bumps all day. I’m similar in weight and height skiing the 78. If you are skiing tight trees I would go with the 78, more open trees the 84. Plenty of ski though in the 78. Exceptional in any type of moguls. They also are a very good groomer ski. Hold an edge very well. Worth noting my boots are Head RS 130’s which are a solid boot that transfers power to the ski well. This makes a huge difference in a way a ski performs that few people consider. Hope this helps.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anyone ski both of these and able to post a comparison?

I have but different years. Found the Orb more fun and versatile, the 90Cti was a little more stable (but not damp) and better for long, fast turns. For my size, style and preferences I like the head Monsters better (177cm's for overall ease and 184cm for just crushing everything).

Ok ok, not gonna let my ADD take over... :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online