• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

A friend just gave me a pair of Atomic Supercross SX9 skis. They have atomic neox+ 310 bindings they have a spring loaded red button that you press in to lift up the metal plate that will then allow the front and rear binding to adjust

How are / were these??

He thought they were about 10 years old?

They look like they were barely used.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A model called "SX:9" was in Atomic's lineup for many years, and went through several re-designs. The NEOX binding and the red adjustment button mean you probably have one of the very last ones - for which a 2007 or 2008 date would be approximately correct.

For the rest of the post I will assume you have the one of the last versions - with squared off Beta lobes and titanium pulsers, and slightly less snakelike texture to the topsheet, with the 3-plastic integrated plates that replaced the 2-plastic black and silver ones. That generation of SX:9 was the one where Atomic finally got everything pretty much spot on for a tough guy with carving skills who wants to ski all over the mountain. The tips wre better connected to the snow than ever, the flex was more progressive than ever, the ski would land hops and jumps without fuss, the ski would punch through crud and still feel ...relatively...lightweight.

Unfortunately, Atomic got this ski completely sorted about 3 seasons too late for the US market; companies like Nordica and Blizzard were doing tough all-mountain carvers in mid-70 and 80+ mm waists and no one looked at 69mm waist sort-of-GS-but-not-really skis anymore.

The good news is that the bindings on those are possibly in better shape than the integrated binding systems the competition was using - most of those loosened up a lot and some are complete junk now. The other good news is that the bases and edges were designed for toughness, so they're probably in quite good shape too.

The bad news is that you still need good carving skills to make them feel good, especially in the longer lengths. They don't really do slarved turns and they kinda feel dead at low speeds and they don't really do soft-edge feathering. Not really a learning ski, and a very meh ski if one wants lazy cruising.

Does that answer your questions? What length are your pair and how much do you weigh?

Last edited:
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
A model called "SX:9" was in Atomic's lineup for many years, and went through several re-designs. The NEOX binding and the red adjustment button mean you probably have one of the very last ones - for which a 2007 or 2008 date would be approximately correct.

For the rest of the post I will assume you have the one of the last versions - with squared off Beta lobes and titanium pulsers, and slightly less snakelike texture to the topsheet, with the 3-plastic integrated plates that replaced the 2-plastic black and silver ones. That generation of SX:9 was the one where Atomic finally got everything pretty much spot on for a tough guy with carving skills who wants to ski all over the mountain. The tips wre better connected to the snow than ever, the flex was more progressive than ever, the ski would land hops and jumps without fuss, the ski would punch through crud and still feel ...relatively...lightweight.

Unfortunately, Atomic got this ski completely sorted about 3 seasons too late for the US market; companies like Nordica and Blizzard were doing tough all-mountain carvers in mid-70 and 80+ mm waists and no one looked at 69mm waist sort-of-GS-but-not-really skis anymore.

The good news is that the bindings on those are possibly in better shape than the integrated binding systems the competition was using - most of those loosened up a lot and some are complete junk now. The other good news is that the bases and edges were designed for toughness, so they're probably in quite good shape too.

The bad news is that you still need good carving skills to make them feel good, especially in the longer lengths. They don't really do slarved turns and they kinda feel dead at low speeds and they don't really do soft-edge feathering. Not really a learning ski, and a very meh ski if one wants lazy cruising.

Does that answer your questions? What length are your pair and how much do you weigh?
Thanks for the informative detailed post. Yes the top layer of the skis have a bit of a texture to them. I am just shy of 6'3" and weigh 200 lbs. The skis are 174s

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hmmm, 174cm size break. I now wonder if you might have an earlier, thinner waisted model, from somewhere 2003-2006.

The plate is drilled for NEOX and could fit old Atomic Race without huge rework.

Atomic's current race X-series bindings are just enough different that a shop won't want to put them on there. And for what they cost you could get a far better used ski.

If you are determined to ski them and a shop is willing to adjust/test the Neox for you, the ski should hold an edge just fine. It is entirely too short, too skinny and too stiff to float someone your size. 1base 3side NO detune.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hmmm, 174cm size break. I now wonder if you might have an earlier, thinner waisted model, from somewhere 2003-2006.

The plate is drilled for NEOX and could fit old Atomic Race without huge rework.

Atomic's current race X-series bindings are just enough different that a shop won't want to put them on there. And for what they cost you could get a far better used ski.

If you are determined to ski them and a shop is willing to adjust/test the Neox for you, the ski should hold an edge just fine. It is entirely too short, too skinny and too stiff to float someone your size. 1base 3side NO detune.
they are 109:56:95-17M

I'll send some pictures later this morning

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Gotcha. I think that middle number should read '65'.

I'm going to guess it's the winter 05/06 ski, blunt tips (as opposed to the very early transparent plastic ones), orange/green color accents on a dark field, metallic accents on the beta lobes.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember skiing that ski and hating it...worst ski in the moguls I had ever skied (up to that point). I thought I would never want a ski over 100mm in the tip. Not that I would go out of my way now but I would take a run or two on them now just so see if they were as bad as I remember...I am guessing they are not and it was just a misapplication by the user.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not that I would go out of my way now but I would take a run or two on them now just so see if they were as bad as I remember...I am guessing they are not and it was just a misapplication by the user.

At the time I remember thinking they were better sorted than Volkl's AC series...but not by much.

Those who like to say the SX series was just the GS ski with a different topsheet - they are wrong and I can prove it for the years '05-'08. The SXs had stiffer tips and - by design, they were intended to land jumps at speed after all - wouldn't let you change turn shape by flexing the shovel.

Last edited:
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

I'll send some pictures later this morning

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

could you tell me a bit about your statement "It is entirely too short, too skinny and too stiff to float someone your size. 1base 3side NO detune"

you should see what I am currently skiing? LOL .... maybe I will send pics later tonight....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will say, that Neox310 is a damn good 3-10 binding. Those look like the demo version, that binding was heavy enough without the extra weight of a demo adjustment.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
could you tell me a bit about your statement "It is entirely too short, too skinny and too stiff to float someone your size. 1base 3side NO detune"

Sure - on soft snow, if you're balanced on the middle the ski will sink into the snow. You *might* be able to get the tips to stay above the snow by sitting waaaaaaaay back - like on a shorty 1950s toilet seat - but you will have zero directional control, it will be a case of point-them-straight and go that way.

The skis should be tuned to 1 degree base and 3 side. Detuning the tip and tail will just cost you edge grip without giving you better ski balance.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

Question - as I am learning-
If I am too heavy how are they too stiff?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Question - as I am learning-
If I am too heavy how are they too stiff?

On soft snow (including everything from powder to corn to slush)

A ski with a stiff front end puts a greater proportion of your body weight onto the snow under the front end.
A ski with a softer front end would direct a smaller proportion of your body weight onto the snow under the front end.

If both skis have the same surface area, the tip of the second ski would ride higher in the snow.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
ok, for a good laugh keep reading... I am about to post the skis that I have skied on for the past two seasons... this is in response to the Supercross SX9 174 105-65-95 that I just got from a friend a couple of days ago

I am a male 6'3" 200 lbs and for the last two seasons I have skied .... drum roll please..... Women's Bandit XX 170 110-75-100 (I made these measurements myself so they might not be accurate). The following number is stamped into the ski 2 0184331
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0972 (1).JPG
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG

They have the Power 100 Axial Axitec demo bindings

should I continue to ski these or switch to the SX9s?

this should be some good entertainment for the weekend through Monday Morning!!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online