• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I guess you tried a different model then. (Probably an older model like the Ranger Pro that were going for dirt cheap at level nine sports)
Correct it was older model . I will go with Atomic 130 and see how it goes . They are on the way :).

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
Decreed > I just brought home a pair of Hawx Ultra 120s and have been a little anxious on the likelihood of the leaking issue > where do you plan on putting the tape and will you reapply every time out?

James

Out There
Instructor
Decreed > I just brought home a pair of Hawx Ultra 120s and have been a little anxious on the likelihood of the leaking issue > where do you plan on putting the tape and will you reapply every time out?
Don’t have Hawx, but I tape every time. On the longitudinal seam and across the toe. Keeps them warmer too as snow doesn’t get in, melt, and cause cold feet. You might have to wipe down the tape area with alchohol or something stronger. To get rid of mold release that won’t let the tape stick. Fischer was slippery. I’ve even taken 400grit sandpaper to rough it up a little.

Pick a color. Walmart tends to carry a bunch.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Don’t have Hawx, but I tape every time. On the longitudinal seam and across the toe. Keeps them warmer too as snow doesn’t get in, melt, and cause cold feet. You might have to wipe down the tape area with alchohol or something stronger. To get rid of mold release that won’t let the tape stick. Fischer was slippery. I’ve even taken 400grit sandpaper to rough it up a little.

Pick a color. Walmart tends to carry a bunch.

For us dummies - pictures? I haven't yet taped - only my 2nd day in them so far and got a little damp. What I'm wondering about is the toe buckle - do you tape under that? Over it? Is that too far up/too much tape? In my case I have just enough tension to close it, no more - and it does push the shell together slightly when I'm putting them on, so if I tape there, it will move/rip every time.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I thought I'd read on here about this before:

In my case - the boot is the 19/20 - this year's - I definitely have what appears to be the updated seal strip - still a bit leaky. Some good info in that short thread ^^

James

Out There
Instructor
I summoned the power of the interwebz

Great write up. I'm doing that.
Yeah, not so much. She only tapes across the toe dam. That's likely not your problem.

Once you get used to taping it’s no big deal. I have faith you don’t need the dummies book.

{Edit: that was before you posted a fairly worthless “great write up” link. (Above) It’s insulting as I’d already written more than the one sentence contained in the link. So, you might need the book after all. Maybe the “power of the interwebz” will write it. It’s not the “interwebz” that do these things, it’s people who post online.}

Tape goes on before buckling. Under the buckles. Generally, you rip the duct tape in half. Do the long seam first, then across the toe dam. If you do it the other way, it doesn't matter, but the across helps hold things down a little better.
Again, some boots are more slippery than others. Tape may fall off. Chemicals and sandpaper help. Seek local advice from a human who uses these products. Maybe your dad, mother, uncle, aunt, friend, anyone who makes stuff.

In terms of the overlap shifting when you buckle- you can play with it. Tape on top and press down that part, then close and press the other. Or just press both sides down, then buckle and the tape folds a bit. If your boot’s move a lot with buckling use a wider piece.

The Atomic strips from the other thread look good. Get some of that. Or they make epdm weather strip. I think that’s better than the usual crap foam.

The # 02618 is white or there’s a brown. Lotsof places stock this. Who knows if adhesive eill work. Def clean with alchohol and rough up with 320-600 grit paper.
Page 10

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
@James thank you much more detailed, actually "Great" write up.

I'm sorry if you got insulted by that - was an (apparently failed) attempt at humor.

A follow up please
Tape goes on before buckling. Under the buckles. Generally, you rip the duct tape in half. Do the long seam first, then across the toe dam
How far up you going - beyond the 2nd buckle? To it? Experiment to know for sure?

James

Out There
Instructor
@James thank you much more detailed, actually "Great" write up.

I'm sorry if you got insulted by that - was an (apparently failed) attempt at humor.

A follow up please

How far up you going - beyond the 2nd buckle? To it? Experiment to know for sure?
No worries, I should have picked up the joke.

Yes, all the way to the cuff. No sense in a small piece.
If you really want to, you could open the cuff and tape the whole overlap seam up underneath the cuff. This depends how easy it is to hold open. Never done it, I may look into it next time out.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
No worries, I should have picked up the joke.

Yes, all the way to the cuff. No sense in a small piece.
If you really want to, you could open the cuff and tape the whole overlap seam up underneath the cuff. This depends how easy it is to hold open. Never done it, I may look into it next time out.

Interesting, OK then I've got several rolls of Gorilla tape and determination to overkill solve this problem. I'll take pics of the experiments and hopefully do it right the 1st time. I expect these will definitely need alcohol or something to make the duct tape stick, they're very 'slick' with the move to polyurethane shells.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
hey @James tried out your method today and it worked like a charm. Out for a couple hours in steady soaking rain, low to mid 40's. My feet stayed dry. I'd gotten busy and didn't get a chance to employ any sand paper or alcohol to prep the surface. I was glad to see Gorilla Tape stick sufficiently to be effective. Did the long seam first then covered the toe cap piece cross wise.

20191223_101530.jpg
20191223_101537.jpg
20191223_103308.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
hey @James tried out your method today and it worked like a charm. Out for a couple hours in steady soaking rain, low to mid 40's. My feet stayed dry. I'd gotten busy and didn't get a chance to employ any sand paper or alcohol to prep the surface. I was glad to see Gorilla Tape stick sufficiently to be effective. Did the long seam first then covered the toe cap piece cross wise.

View attachment 88169 View attachment 88170 View attachment 88171

Now I know why some wives don't let their hubby leave the house without an visual inspection first. :ogcool:

C'mon dude, stay with the program. They make gorilla tapes in other colors.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Now I know why some wives don't let their hubby leave the house without an visual inspection first. :ogcool:

C'mon dude, stay with the program. They make gorilla tapes in other colors.
Ha, figured that'd generate some comments. I've got several other colors, this is the one I grabbed heading out the door at 5 am. Doesn't bother me, simply do not care about looks. I do think their silver would be close, it's pretty dark.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems like quite a schlep. How common is this leaking issue? I’ve never owned boots that leaked and would not be inclined to buy ones that did. It’s true I don’t ski in the rain - it tends not to rain in Utah in the winter. How about wearing boot gloves; protects against leaks and warmer feet too.

James

Out There
Instructor
Seems like quite a schlep. How common is this leaking issue? I’ve never owned boots that leaked and would not be inclined to buy ones that did. It’s true I don’t ski in the rain - it tends not to rain in Utah in the winter. How about wearing boot gloves; protects against leaks and warmer feet too.
A lot of boots, esp plugs, if they get worked on a bunch with spreaders are more susceptible to a gap. Esp if you ski with clog buckles on the loose side.
Some boots just leak, but they seem to have gotten better in the toe dam. The key is taping the overlap.
I used to just tape in the rain. Then the Lange plugs I got were often freezing to my feet. Like even mid 20’s days. One day going up the chair on a really windy day I felt the air going into my liner. So a little snow was always getting in too, melting and making the feet cold. Taping the seam stopped the cold feet on not cold days.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I think Boot Glove is the best solution, Keep Snow and ice form your boots, and increase warmer boot liner about 10-20%.
I talk to few people who own then and they said it is working very good .They relatively cheap form $20-$30.