• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Device Binding Question (including recall info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello! This is my first post here on Pugski, and I'm diving right in with a technical question. This section seems to be mostly tuning as it relates to waxing/sharpening, but this is more of a binding setup question.

First, a fair warning about myself. I am superbly OCD when it comes to machines and the like, so I am probably overthinking all of this, probably more than a ski shop even would. But that's just who I am. I set up all my own equipment since I am a very technical person, and it saves me some money.

I am an intermediate skier, graduated last season from beginner to the point where I now do almost only blues, and since i am getting too good at that I plan on hitting some black diamonds on my next trip. I ski in the Midwest; Cascade mountain is my main jam, so I understand the level of difficulty is less than out west.

I just got new boots, a major upgrade as i continue to advance my skills - 2013 Lange RX 130 in Mondo 28.5, 326mm sole length.
My skis are Atomic 9-18 (not that new, but they work fine), with Atomic Device 310 bindings

So I'm setting up my bindings for my new boots, and the forward pressure indicator can't be set to line up right smack dab in the center like my old boots did, and one click either way changes the pressure indicator as follows;
Setting 1.jpg

Setting 2.jpg

Hopefully this makes sense, basically changing the boot size setting one click either way bounces between these two positions, I can't get it right in the center. I went with "setting 1" since the very small extra "looseness" it has allows the boot to pop into the binding cup okay, whereas the tighter "setting 2" requires the heel of the boot to push the rear binding back a small amount until the heel tab falls into the cup, which seems like it would cause more wear on the boot/binding over time.

How important is getting the pressure indicator right in the center? Should I go with "slightly too tight" over "slightly too loose"? Am I overthinking this? (probably...)

Thanks for any advice, hope to browse and post here often

MOD EDIT: Title changed to reflect the new topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since you are so OCD, you might want to check the production dade of the bindings for the recall.
0739e323dffc4c0da41e09b1550fdf01.jpg

Recall info HERE

Personally. I would NOT ski that binding. and while you can say the 9-18 works fine...
My skis are Atomic 9-18 (not that new, but they work fine),
We are talking 15-20 year old tecnology in the ski and 15-20 year old plastic in the binding...these really are not safe with the Nth Nm of forward pressure +/- or not.

TS
Stewart

Stewart

Skier
I do know about the recall, but I don't ski hard enough that I thought it was worth getting new bindings. From what I read about it, it sounded like there were a few fluke incidents that caused them to pull the whole line. I check the bindings very carefully for cracks/wear, and they are in very good condition.

Also, that list doesn't include the Device 310's , just the 311's and 412's

TS
Stewart

Stewart

Skier
Well this makes me sad lol. I have owned these for a few years, when I first got them I recall I did find out about the recall, skied on them anyway and forgot about it since then.

All I skied back then was greens anyway. Now that I'm skiing harder stuff, I suppose it does matter more. Well, thanks for reminding me I guess. I'm looking at new/used skis of a newer year now. That being said, I may ski on them anyway until I get newer ones, since I am young and stupid and I can't stop skiing for anything since the bug has bit me. I guess my original question pretty much was answered here, sounds like I was worried about shining a turd.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thread has been undeleted but closed. There are others who might have the same question and to have the answer here coudl help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor