• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic 165 SL FIS 2020 plate/binding Q

TDK

Booting up
Skier
Bought a pair of new Atomic SL skis for jr. I was talked into trying the new binding where the toe pc is separated from the heel one. Much to my surprice the plate is about 7mm further back and the binding over 20mm further back. I was the first that had notissed this they said. Anybody else notissed?

TS
TDK

TDK

Booting up
Skier
Today I called an Atomic rep in Austria that is distributing Atomic race skis. He said that Atomic had made a change but nobody knew why the plate was further back and why the new binding is mounted up to 4cm further back than on the old skis. It resulted in a less aggressive ski. I think I need to call Hirscher and ask him what is going on....

James

Out There
Instructor
Today I called an Atomic rep in Austria that is distributing Atomic race skis. He said that Atomic had made a change but nobody knew why the plate was further back and why the new binding is mounted up to 4cm further back than on the old skis. It resulted in a less aggressive ski. I think I need to call Hirscher and ask him what is going on....

Any news on this?

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
It looks like Atomic customer service is not very good answering technical questions. I sent an email asking about base/side edge angles on 2019 X7 skis - they don't know and are working on finding the answer.. it's been two plus weeks...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like Atomic customer service is not very good answering technical questions. I sent an email asking about base/side edge angles on 2019 X7 skis - they don't know and are working on finding the answer.. it's been two plus weeks...

Doesn't matter what angles the skis come from the factory. It's a softer front side carver. Put a 0.5/3 degree bevel on the ski and go and ski it.
If the skis hook up too quick for your taste. Increase the base bevel to 1 degree. The 3 degree side bevel is pretty standard if you want grip.

James

Out There
Instructor
Base bevels, side edge angles are like tire types on a car. (Not tire sizes)
No one calls the factory to see what tire type to put on a car. They just do it and find out.

There’s nothing Atomic can tell you about edge angles that makes any difference.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Skier
While I understand the point about setting your own edge angles, I’m surprised that manufacturers don’t have a spec that they work to and perform quality control over. If that’s the case, they should plaster disclaimers and recommended tuning prescriptions all over their products.

Regardless, I just wanted to know the factory setting I’m skiing on (3 days so far) before experimenting with tuning. if I like the out-of-wrapper feeling, I’d want to recreate it in the future. And so far I do. There is occasional hooking but it is most likely due to poor technique. Also, I don’t know if I can trust the local shops to do the job right. Not yet at least.

sorry for hijacking the thread. If the mods feel like it, pleas move this elsewhere

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
While I understand the point about setting your own edge angles, I’m surprised that manufacturers don’t have a spec that they work to and perform quality control over. If that’s the case, they should plaster disclaimers and recommended tuning prescriptions all over their products.

I'm not following the logic just there? If there isn't a spec, there should be disclaimers and tuning prescriptions?

Regardless, I just wanted to know the factory setting I’m skiing on (3 days so far) before experimenting with tuning. if I like the out-of-wrapper feeling, I’d want to recreate it in the future.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to measure/determine it. The easiest way to measure/determine current angles is to find a friend with tuning gear and do the magic marker test.

Also, I don’t know if I can trust the local shops to do the job right. Not yet at least.

All the more reason to learn to measure it yourself. Knowing "factory numbers" and quoting them at shop personnel does absolutely nothing to enable you to either check on them or learn to trust them.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TDK. that is a bit surprising. Are we talking bout the 165 FIS slalom? because the pair of these i had the plate was actually moved forward from the 2019 (same as Rossi did in 2018)

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Skier
I got an answer from Atomic about 2019 X7 sidewall and base angles:

Sidewall Angle: 87,5º +/- 0,5º
Base Angle: 0,8º +/- 0,3º

Meanwhile I had a shop measure them. Them came back with 1/3. The same shop set my old pair of Atomic 9-18 to 1/2. Now I need to wait for my calf to heal so that I can ski both and compare apples with, eh.., other kind of apples.

Still looking for a friend with tuning gear...