• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

At what speed does waxing matter?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am sitting in the slope side pub at Blue Mountain for lunch and just had an interesting run one side of the mountain my wax seemed just fine and when I came to this side it was as the the wax was brand new first day out very slick. Now the temperature is the same on both sides but I could feel like a total different wax job and not sure what happened. Any thoughts?

A quite likely culprit is different snow age - the slower snow came out of the gun more recently and possibly (read: probably if it was blown on a run with spotty coverage) with a higher water ratio.

Snow that was farmed into whales for 24 hours+ will in all cases be faster than directly-spread snow. No matter what the total age/ number of groomer cycles after aging. If you want to read up on how this happens, read up on depth hoar. Yes, the avalanche type of depth hoar - it is exactly the same mechanism.

So, yes, different wax feel on different runs is completely believable. Whitetail used to have massive problems with wet spots that could easily throw you over the handlebars - from spot fill-in directly out of the blowers.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Was one side mostly natural and the other side mostly manmande snow?
No, that was one of the things I thought but all machine made both sides. I did wonder if the age of the machine had anything to do with it. The slick side was made with older equipment. The average side is the side made by the newer snow making guns.

Reactions: NE1

Uncle-A

Skier
If it's the Blue in Allentown, it's unlikely to be much other than man made. More likely a sunshine issue resulting in a melt difference.
Very gray day no sun all clouds

Uncle-A

Skier
A quite likely culprit is different snow age - the slower snow came out of the gun more recently and possibly (read: probably if it was blown on a run with spotty coverage) with a higher water ratio.

Snow that was farmed into whales for 24 hours+ will in all cases be faster than directly-spread snow. No matter what the total age/ number of groomer cycles after aging. If you want to read up on how this happens, read up on depth hoar. Yes, the avalanche type of depth hoar - it is exactly the same mechanism.

So, yes, different wax feel on different runs is completely believable. Whitetail used to have massive problems with wet spots that could easily throw you over the handlebars - from spot fill-in directly out of the blowers.
Could be, an interesting concept of snow age or grooming cycle. I will say that the snow guns were running all day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am sitting in the slope side pub at Blue Mountain for lunch and just had an interesting run one side of the mountain my wax seemed just fine and when I came to this side it was as the the wax was brand new first day out very slick. Now the temperature is the same on both sides but I could feel like a total different wax job and not sure what happened. Any thoughts?
Was one side mostly natural and the other side mostly manmande snow?
Sun exposure, elevation.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Could be, an interesting concept of snow age or grooming cycle. I will say that the snow guns were running all day.

The newer the guns, the newer the snow - meaning it's easier and quicker to turn newer guns on during short snowmaking windows, so snow on those runs is less likely to have old, rounded crystals, on any skier visit.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No sun, gray all day. Elevation of the slick side is lower but not more than a couple of hundred feet.

A 10x-15x magnifier glass will tell you a lot. If there is a difference in free water, it's probably different exposure or drainage (including wind exposure here). If there is a difference in crystal shape, it's probably gun or age related.

Get the physical glass, not the phone app. Phone cameras are totally not meant for this type of inspection.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
No sun, gray all day. Elevation of the slick side is lower but not more than a couple of hundred feet.
there's still solar radiation that affects vary according to slope aspect.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
there's still solar radiation that affects vary according to slope aspect.
And even on a very foggy day there's differences in visibility from the left side of the trail to the right in terms of determining snow texture because of "shadows". You might not be able to see the shadows, but it'll affect contrast.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a few experiences in life where a little bit of friction can make the difference more enjoyable...a ski sliding down the hill is not one of them.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Snow temp. was different and transformation was too.

Sponsor

Staff online