• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AT tires for my Silverado.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a real winter weather test this evening since the forecast was off by a few inches. My usual 45-55 minute drive turned into a 3 1/2hr odyssey. I followed Waze though a series of backroads covered in a few inches of wet snow, which was no problem but I came upon a couple o other "Wazers" that didn't know what they were getting into. All of my delays were because of closed roads and backed up traffic. I passed more stuck SUVs than I could count. I blew past several uphill pileups once the downhill traffic cleared The only other people driving my comfortable speed were LEOs in Explorers(equipped with snow tires this time of year) and a few Jeeps(likely running Duratracs or similar). The biggest issue I had was driving up the hill to my house where my traction and stability control had a bit of a work out.

saw east coast on evening news .. quite the mess but in off way sad that first snowfall seems to mess enough folks up the gridlock a lot more.

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I figure I should update my review on the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws:I have taken a couple of trips to VT as well as done extensive driving on LI. Currently running my LT 285 70 17s at 45 psi which seems to be the sweet spot. These tires do everything well. I was particularly impressed with how they are on the highway at 70+ mph and how they handle twisty, bumpy roads. I would expect a tire with such an aggressive tread to be a bit "squidgy" but they really aren't and they are surprisingly grippy and predictable. Their snow performance rivals or exceeds any pure snow tires I've run before despite their width(they're over an inch wider than my previous tires in the same size). They also seemed to be reasonably good on ice for a non studded tire. The only downside is they definitely affect gas mileage because they are big and heavy.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Glad you are liking them. I now have 50K on a set of LT285/75/17on my ‘04 Sequoia and they still have about 9/32 tread and are on their 3rd winter, balanced and running smoothly.

Can’t say enough about this tire, at least in the LT version, although I run them at 32 PSI. I will easily get 60K and they have handled everything I have thrown at them.

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another quick update. I love these tires but they may bite a little too well because I broke the G80 locker in my truck between the snow and mucky job sites. it's getting replaced with a True Trac tomorrow so I never have worry about it again.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another quick update. I love these tires but they may bite a little too well because I broke the G80 locker in my truck between the snow and mucky job sites. it's getting replaced with a True Trac tomorrow so I never have worry about it again.

Interesting, had to look up the G80 not having heard of it prior.

https://www.topspeed.com/trucks/tru...s-g80-locking-rear-differential-ar169064.html

ohhh, a fine advertisement on technology - love these silly videos. I need to look at my codes. My truck isn't a work truck ... so far activation.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm trying to decide between a few different AT tires in a LT 285 70 17 for my 2010 Silverado. The 3 tires I am considering are the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Hankook Dynapro ATM and the General grabber ATX. I have been happy with the Hankooks on my current truck and the two sets I ran on my last truck but they were all made in Korea and branded with the "3PMSF" rating. The current tires in my size are made in China and no longer carry the mark. I contacted Hankook and they claim there is no difference in construction or materials but experience with other products has me skeptical. The Falken has lots of good reviews but my tire guy tried to steer me away from them claiming they wear fast(I talked to "jr" so I may need to talk to "sr" to find out the real story). The Generals look to be modernized versions the old tried and true AT2s and are studdable if I feel the need but they are new and have few independent reviews so far.

I live and work on the North Shore of Long Island(NY) where the roads are steep and windy and they don't really know how to clear them when it snows and my job sites often turn to muck. I also plan on multiple ski trips to New England so winter performance is a priority but they also must hold up in hot weather so Goodyear Duratracs are really not for me. Any relevant experiences or opinions would be appreciated.
We have the Dynapros on our 08 Yukon and have been really impressed with them and will probably go with them again next go round, next winter.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DC49F9CD-2579-481B-9FA1-E6A621861F48.jpeg
I’ve been running General Grabber A/Tx LT’s on my truck this season. Got 4500 on them and are wearing well, ride is very smooth, good in snow.
Brother in-law has been has been peddling tires for years, he runs these. Price,ride, grip, wear are his reasons, so far happy with them.

TS
Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
We have the Dynapros on our 08 Yukon and have been really impressed with them and will probably go with them again next go round, next winter.
I had been quite happy with the 3 sets of these that I've used and was ready to buy another set but I balked when I discovered the LT 285 70 17 no longer carries the 3PSMF and is now produced in China instead of Korea. I'm actually kind of glad because the Falken Wildpeak AT3W I bought instead has been better in everything I've thrown at it than the Hankooks and by pretty much all accounts wears better.

View attachment 67846 I’ve been running General Grabber A/Tx LT’s on my truck this season. Got 4500 on them and are wearing well, ride is very smooth, good in snow.
Brother in-law has been has been peddling tires for years, he runs these. Price,ride, grip, wear are his reasons, so far happy with them.
I'm glad to hear that these are actually what they're hyped to be and I will definitely consider them when my Falkens wear out.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had been quite happy with the 3 sets of these that I've used and was ready to buy another set but I balked when I discovered the LT 285 70 17 no longer carries the 3PSMF and is now produced in China instead of Korea. I'm actually kind of glad because the Falken Wildpeak AT3W I bought instead has been better in everything I've thrown at it than the Hankooks and by pretty much all accounts wears better.

I'm glad to hear that these are actually what they're hyped to be and I will definitely consider them when my Falkens wear out.
I will take a look at both the Falken and Generals in the fall.