• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounds like some considering these options may benefit by installing stainless steel binding inserts or swap plates so you can swap bindings on skis.

binding-freedom-insert1-300x184.jpg

Reactions: Ron

James

Out There
Instructor
It sounds like some considering these options may benefit by installing stainless steel binding inserts or swap plates so you can swap bindings on skis.

binding-freedom-insert1-300x184.jpg
How does this offer advantage? You drill two sets of holes and put inserts in both? Or do the frame holes line up with a reg binding?

Just be carrful you have the right inserts for the drill bit. It's not fun to see a bulge in the bottom of a brand new ski because the insert didn't match the bit.

Btw, @SlideWright , I was in Chamonix and wanted to take my shim plates out of the Look pivots. Inserts are pretty common in some shops because of traveling. I went to a shop to see if they had shorter machine screws. He didn't believe my screws were inserts because the heads look like reg binding screws. "Well I put them in myself...I have photos" Theirs don't have the same heads.
They liked the screws you sell much better.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
^ yes, if you were going to use 2 sets of bindings, the inserts go into both sets of holes so you can swap the bindings out

James

Out There
Instructor
Inserts are a lot of work... i'd have a reliable shop do it. One that does a lot.

Or just devote some time and measure/check three times.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Stainless steel Inserts and stainless steel, M5 machine screws are a good option for those who wish to swap bindings between one or more skis.
  • They can save the cost of multiple bindings and/or skis depending on your needs and resources. This can be useful for phasing gear in and out of use.
  • They can be the same holes in multiple skis for swapping one set of bindings.
  • Stainless steel inserts can be used for multiple binding types on the same pair of skis. The holes have to be coordinated to avoid conflicts. Paper templates allow a quick way to check compatibility.
  • Stainless steel inserts can be used for tear out repairs
  • They can be used in cases where you can't find replacement alpine screws or need longer screws for cants or shims.
Installation is pretty straight forward for those who are already familiar with drilling and mounting bindings, but the accuracy has to be more precise. Practicing on scrap wood or skis first is a good idea.

Last edited:

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
)

I have the Tyrolia AAmbition bindings and liked them, especially because they worked very well as DH bindings, so I could just use my everyday skis when touring. Now that I have done some more uphill oriented touring this year, and have new alpine pow skis, if I had to do it over, I would choose a tech setup.

Curious... how do you find the skinning action of the Ambitions compared to tech bindings? The pivot point is much better than the marker F12( havecthose as well). Have a pair of Ambitions on an old ski and trying to decide to mount a powder ski with those vs something like the Vipec Evo.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont have enough experience on other bindings to give you a good answer. Sorry