• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I wanted a flexible schedule with decent pay in the mountains with a low barrier of entry I'd buy a truck and plow snow. It's pretty fun besides having to sit for long hours and fix your equipment in the cold when it breaks.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
If I wanted a flexible schedule with decent pay in the mountains with a low barrier of entry I'd buy a truck and plow snow. It's pretty fun besides having to sit for long hours and fix your equipment in the cold when it breaks.

A job where you're busy on every powder day sounds like exactly what I'd want as a ski bum job. ;)

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
First place I taught there was a groomer whose day ended just far enough before the chairs started that he could switch into his gear and be one of the first to enjoy the results of his work.

I always thought that would be a fun gig.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A job where you're busy on every powder day sounds like exactly what I'd want as a ski bum job. ;)

Let's see, plow 4 driveways from from 6 to 9 for $50 each and ski pow for the rest of the day, or work 14 hours at $13.50 for the same money.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First place I taught there was a groomer whose day ended just far enough before the chairs started that he could switch into his gear and be one of the first to enjoy the results of his work.

I always thought that would be a fun gig.

My sister's boyfriend ran a rig at Stowe for a while, it was a pretty good job.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still not enough to Live within 50 miles of the place. Well maybe in a tent.
Isn't this a bit of an exaggeration? I was curious so I looked at Zillow quickly and found a 160k condo in basalt, just 18 miles from Aspen. That seems pretty reasonable. It's tricky to live on 14 an hour any where but it's doable.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Still not enough to Live within 50 miles of the place. Well maybe in a tent.
I agree with that, but its good to see them raise it to 13.50.
I think Squaw had a rate of 12.00 as starting pay (emphasis on think)
Northstar had a base wage of 9.50 the last I knew.
Good to see someone making some kind of move in the right direction, even if its minimal.

Sponsor

Staff online