• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Aspen/Snowmass -- Don't Miss It!!!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The start to this season is stellar -- the best I ever remember and many of our long-time pros claim it is the best start in 20 or 30 years. Here's a picture from Saturday -- 5-9" of new snow.

IMG_2067.JPG

Last night, we received another 6 inches, and the forecast calls for a bit each day for the next week or so, with bigger storms coming thereafter. Most importantly, there's virtually no one here.

Tomorrow we will be opening the Alpine Springs and High Alpine lifts and terrain. I'm not sure if the Hanging Valley, Cirque, and KT Gully areas will open tomorrow, but they most probably will open before Christmas.

So, don't delay -- come on up and enjoy stellar conditions -- I doubt you will be disappointed!

Mike

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
See you in a week. Please put the ropes up to keep the riff raff out until I arrive. Gracias! :beercheer:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
See you the end of January.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
How’s Highland Bowl?

I see it’s open. Anyone skied it yet?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Never skied in Aspen. I HAVE TO!!! :wave:

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Aspen/Snowmass is under rated actually. Though it's quirky.
Highlands probably has the most advanced terrain for it's size of anywhere.
Much as I love Aspen generally and Highlands specifically, I'm not sure I can agree with you. Jackson gives Highlands a run for it's money on advanced terrain for it's size as does Snowbird and, although I've never skied it, Squaw.

We had a pretty decent refresh yesterday up high and a good bit more is in the forecast for the next few days. Come on out!

Mike

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Much as I love Aspen generally and Highlands specifically, I'm not sure I can agree with you. Jackson gives Highlands a run for it's money on advanced terrain for it's size as does Snowbird and, although I've never skied it, Squaw.

We had a pretty decent refresh yesterday up high and a good bit more is in the forecast for the next few days. Come on out!

Mike
Snowbird, Jackson and squaw are all great expert mountains but each are way bigger than highlands. Squaw in 4 times as big and doesn't have anywhere close to 4x the expert terrain. Also, highlands has nearly 50% more vertical than squaw, better snow and way less crowds

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Not disputing you -- Highlands, as well as Ajax and Snowmass, are fantastic mountains. If you include the terrain in the bowl (hike to), Highlands has 4300 feet of vertical. And there's a lot of sustained steeps.

Jackson is twice the size. Yet it is also an expert's mountain, with a lot of terrain. Personally, I think there's much more crux terrain at Jackson than at Highlands. It is quite nice, however, only having to jump a 20 minute bus to get to Highlands as opposed to making a trek to Jackson...

Mike

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Aspen, with its 4 mountains and it's long history, is THE iconic North American resort and as such it should be on every serious skier's bucket list. And the bonus is that it is one of the least crowded of any major resort, even on a powder day. If you have ever skied Snowbird or Jackson Hole on powder day then you might understand when I guarantee that you will get more untracked/lightly tracked powder turns at Aspen.

Last edited:

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I made my first visit last week. It won’t be my last. Great mountains and lots of choices.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I'll be there this week also. Planning on doing the highlands bowl tour on Wednesday January 2.

We're staying at base of Snowmass. If anyone wants to meet up for some turns on Wednesday (highlands) or Friday (@ ?), PM me.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
A quick question about getting between Steamboat and Aspen:

google say take CO-131 to I-70. Is 131 well traveled and usually well cleared of snow?

Last edited:
TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
A quick question about getting between Steamboat and Aspen:

google say take CO-131 to I-70. Is 131 well traveled and usually well cleared of snow?
It is not particularly well traveled, but is plowed -- except for at night. It is a paved road, just a bit narrow. You shouldn't have an issue with travel on it unless it is in the midst of a blizzard....

jngsnk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Long time reader, first time poster here. I appreciate the insight and knowledge shared in previous posts, and am looking at a quick one-day trip to ski Snowmass the first weekend of February with a ski buddy. I visited one this season in December, but it was before much of the double black terrain was open. I have some questions about the steeps/double black terrrain at Snowmass in particular. Is there an area/terrain you would suggest for a first-time visitor that doesn't know all the nooks and crannies of the area? Am I correct in assuming that the Cirque area is more wide open and easier to orient yourself than HV? We are both comfortable with steep, exposed terrain, (CB North Face lift, AB East Wall,etc.) but would prefer to avoid getting cliffed out, if possible. Not looking for secret stashes or insider info, just wondering if its a dumb idea to go poking around HV having never been...

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions!