• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado aspen mogul runs

zeak

Booting up
Skier
Going to aspen in a few days and will split my time between Ajax and Highlands. I know Highlands pretty well but was wondering what are good mellower mogul runs at Ajax for someone who wants to practice. Too old to zipper line and took the Bumps for boomers a few yrs ago which was useful. But i can't remember which runs we were on. Thanks.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to aspen in a few days and will split my time between Ajax and Highlands. I know Highlands pretty well but was wondering what are good mellower mogul runs at Ajax for someone who wants to practice. Too old to zipper line and took the Bumps for boomers a few yrs ago which was useful. But i can't remember which runs we were on. Thanks.
Off of Gentleman's ridge, Glade 1 and Gent's ridge can be pretty mellow if the snow is good. Some of the single blacks off Ajax Express may be bumped up - or portions of and between runs all around the Ajax Express area can have some decent bumps. Locals may be able to provide more info.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Going to aspen in a few days and will split my time between Ajax and Highlands. I know Highlands pretty well but was wondering what are good mellower mogul runs at Ajax for someone who wants to practice.
There's plenty of short mogul segments scattered among the groomers off Ajax Express that are not too steep, that are good practice shots. A couple steeper shots, skier's left off the top of the AX lift. Depends on whether you'd prefer less-steep moguls, or softer, steeper snow, which hides a bit lower on the mountain.

First few runs off either side of ridge of Bell are typically less-trafficked, but steeper. Most folks ski further down the ridge to get a longer bump run into the gully. Yeah, this means you gotta ski all the way to the base of the gondola, though. There may be some good practice bumps near the bottom of Ruthie's Run, along the edges. Depending on recent snow and sun, the short runs next to FIS lift might be good practice, too. They are east-facing, and may be nice and soft on a warm day.

What runs on Highlands have you found that are "good for practice"? Above the Merry-Go-Round mid-mountain lodge are the only runs that are "less steep" but the bumps are also usually too gnarly for practicing on, unless you're practicing basic survival.

Haven't skied Ajax yet this season, but hope to check out the new Hero's lift and terrain shortly! They are rated double-black, steep glades, mostly.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Too old to zipper line
Yeah me too. Every time find myself skiing the zipper line I ask myself “why are you doing that?”. I think not skiing the zipper line is actually more fun, more creative, mix up your turns, picking the right spots to turn for a smother/graceful ride is how I roll these days.

I credit @KingGrump showing me the light.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
What runs on Highlands have you found that are "good for practice"? Above the Merry-Go-Round mid-mountain lodge are the only runs that are "less steep" but the bumps are also usually too gnarly for practicing on, unless you're practicing basic survival.
Scarlett's Run right above Merry Go Round, great bump run.

Snowmass was not mentioned but Timberline below the bottom of Big Burn chair is another.

TS
Z

zeak

Booting up
Skier
Just got this from an instructor friend in Aspen:

Blue mogul runs on the top of Ajax: Midnight, Pumphouse, Tourtelette Park,Gretl’s, Silver Dip, Easy Chair

Gentle Black mogul runs: Back of bell 1, Sunrise/Sunset

Sponsor

Staff online