• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Aspen has released its plan

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Aspen update here. More later, but seems reasonable.
That does seem reasonable. The only question mark I have is the point of implementing a reservation system if needed. How quickly would they be able to implement it? Furthermore, if you get to the Christmas holiday period and then decide yup, we need to implement a reservation system, that has the makings of a bad situation. That first day they realize a reservation system needs to be implemented will be miserable for those on the mountain that day and potentially unsafe in the ensuing mayhem. Furthermore, even if they can immediately implement a reservation system the very next day, that has a high probability of creating chaos noting the number of visitors that traveled all the way there only to find out the rules have changed, a reservation is required and they might not get one.

Hopefully such a scenario does not play out and its all good. But as much of a pain as it is, I think implementing a reservation system from the getgo like Vail is doing is more prudent. And if it's clear a reservation system is not needed to manage crowds because skier numbers are down so much, it is far easier to drop the reservation system than it is to suddenly have to implement one.

This was discussed in the Snowmass thread, but I speculate Alterra resorts are not quite ready to go full reservation immediately and still working on the system or they would be following Vail's approach.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Although @Wasatchman's comment about it being easier to implement reservations up front and then potentially drop them has merit, I read the Aspen release, compared to some others, as being a much more genuinely honest set of statements that had not obviously been run through the PR mill to remove all vestiges of comprehension. More along the lines of "we're going to do our best. If things change, we'll still do our best under changed circumstances. Here are our current best guesses".

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen is making the $1049 IKON Pass with 7 days at Aspen/Snowmass look cheap for those of us who don't live in the valley.

Any guesses about day ticket prices? Looks like we can expect new a new record, and probably by a large margin.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm while I get it that they don't want to be a bug out option for Vailites, the valley pass restriction is a bit of a PITA, locking out seasonnaires unless they get a local address on their ID etc.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would have liked to see some mention of Ikon... though I assume that means they're trying to keep it business as usual (as far as being able to use the pass).

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I would have liked to see some mention of Ikon... though I assume that means they're trying to keep it business as usual (as far as being able to use the pass).
That would be interesting if they weren't. Because they partly own Alterra.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, a Sun Valley pass is no longer the most expensive in the country, although it still is for seniors since we don't have a senior rate.

I find the apparent motive of limiting capacity through high prices quite objectionable, and I imagine many others will also.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I find the apparent motive of limiting capacity through high prices quite objectionable, and I imagine many others will also.
Yeah... that does seem pretty exclusionary, rather than offering typical rates and a raffle/lottery type system. Especially given the unique circumstances of this upcoming season.

BUT, in general, it's also the way a lot of things work, and business in general... limited supply and increased demand mean higher prices, or higher prices can caused less demand and naturally limit supply. Aspen isn't in business to make less money. So if they are trying to maximize revenue, given the restrictions they have in front of them, higher prices is the way to go.

Reactions: RJS

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Yeah... that does seem pretty exclusionary, rather than offering typical rates and a raffle/lottery type system. Especially given the unique circumstances of this upcoming season.

BUT, in general, it's also the way a lot of things work, and business in general... limited supply and increased demand mean higher prices, or higher prices can caused less demand and naturally limit supply. Aspen isn't in business to make less money. So if they are trying to maximize revenue, given the restrictions they have in front of them, higher prices is the way to go.
Yeah, and we are talking about Aspen at the end of the day. The town itself is noted for being where many of the uber wealthy like to congregate. So it shouldn't be a huge revelation to most that the skiing is on the upper end of the spectrum socio-economically.

Edit: if it makes @Bill Miles feel any better, the Aspen premier pricing is almost exactly on par with what Deer Valley charges for an unrestricted season pass. Deer Valley early bird is $2450, slightly more than Aspen premier early bird pricing. Looks like they are mindful and know their place in the grand scheme of things to make it just below DV :)

Last edited:
TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Question: I’m an Ikon/Mountain Collective Passholder, what does this mean for me?
Answer:
We will institute a reservation system for Ikon Passholders accessed through ikonpass.com or the Ikon Pass app. We are doing this so we have a better idea about when passholders might visit so we are better able to manage capacity on the mountain and in our facilities. Ikon Passholders can ski when their passes permit access and must use the Ikon Pass reservation system to let us know when they plan to visit. We will begin the season with no daily cap on the number of Ikon Pass reservations available. However, if we need to address volume on any given day throughout the season, there may be a limit on how many Ikon Passholders can access the mountain when necessary. Ikon Passholders can start making reservations on 11/9/2020.

Mountain Collective passholders will be encouraged to use the online pre-arrival fulfillment functionality, or redeem their vouchers by phone to eliminate the need to visit a ticket office. If we need to implement a reservation system at any time during the season, Mountain Collective passes will be included. If you wish to purchase additional days, we recommend you do so in advance as they may not be available once in resort.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, a Sun Valley pass is no longer the most expensive in the country, although it still is for seniors since we don't have a senior rate.

It's only $300 more than last year. ("only" -- which is about 15%). And the locals weekday pass is $1000 less than last year (although it didn't exist last year, but otherwise you were buying a $2K pass, more or less. I don't remember a weekday pass before, but they did have a pass where you could ski one day (or maybe two?) out of every week. I don't think it wasn't that much less than a full pass, though, definitely not $1K. Maybe $1500? Can't remember.

So, yeah, they raised prices on the non-local passes and lowered substantially the local pass price. I like it. Of course, I live in Pitkin County and am not a billionaire....

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So, yeah, they raised prices on the non-local passes and lowered substantially the local pass price. I like it. Of course, I live in Pitkin County and am not a billionaire....

Only for the midweek pass though right? Looks like the Chamber pass (which lots of lots of people working in the valley get) went up 3-400$ this year if you need ability to ski weekends.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Only for the midweek pass though right? Looks like the Chamber pass (which lots of lots of people working in the valley get) went up 3-400$ this year if you need ability to ski weekends.

True, but that's why they suggested adding the Valley 7-pack to it, which still makes it cheaper than last year's. Aspen is clearly worried about weekends and crowding. It's funny, I don't even picture locals skiing weekends, but I guess some do, lol.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Question: I’m an Ikon/Mountain Collective Passholder, what does this mean for me?
Answer:
We will institute a reservation system for Ikon Passholders accessed through ikonpass.com or the Ikon Pass app.
Welp, this addresses my concern about ultimately needing a reservation system at Aspen or other Alterra results.

And @jmeb , i bet you are spot on with your inferred November go live in another thread.that was some great detective work on your part seeing the job listing and putting it all together. Double credit if you don't even work in IT.

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would actually do pretty good there since they have a lot cheaper over 70 pass, which Sun Valley does not (the saying is that if Sun Valley gave older skiers a discount they would go broke.)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm glad to see Pitkin County pushing for travel restrictions. I hope other counties join and get the governor to add Colorado to the list of so many other states that require a negative test or quarantine from visitors.

Sponsor

Staff online