• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Plans finalized for my annual "Dads-Only" trip to the Rockies, this year to Aspen (first time) -- we'll be checking in Feb 17 (Sun), skiing Monday through Friday, and rolling on on Feb 23rd.

Anyway, one in my group, an expert skier, doesn't have skis worthy of the name anymore, and is going to rent something out there for the week. Since we'll be bouncing around among the different ski areas, the convenience of an on-mountain ski shop he can leave his skis with at the end of each day isn't there, so he could use a recommendation, if anyone has any ideas. Stockli, Kastle, reasonable pricing, tuned, that sort of thing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The only thing I ever looked at (before deciding to just take my own skis) was Aspens own rentals (Four Mountain Sports). They'll transfer them from mountain to mountain for free overnight, so no worries as long as you know where you're skiing the next day.

No idea what brands they have though. And I'd imagine that like most places you might save some money renting off-mountain. (You do like to save money, right? ;) )

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Was just reserving stuff last night for our trip next week... I chose Four Mountain Sports for the reasons @dbostedo mentioned, namely the on mountain storage and free transfer between mountains. It looks like there may even be shops higher up on Snowmass, so that may be cool for swapping skis during the day. Prepaying allowed me to avoid sales tax, so the price difference was not much vs. some other on mountain shops (specifically Christy's). We won't have a car for the trip, so convenient location for pickup and return is high on the list.

Brands: https://www.aspensnowmass.com/plan-your-stay/ski-and-snowboard-rentals/premium-ski-package

IDK what the 'standard' skis are - they don't give detail on that. No Stockli on the list, but yes for Kastle.

Never been to Aspen, so I have no insider knowledge here... I'm sure there is a better deal out there. But I don't mind paying a bit more if it means we can make a scene in the store if the skis suck and get a quick fix.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we were in Aspen, Chris Davenport sent us to Miller Sports Aspen, his brother's shop, to pick up some demo Kästles. They were super helpful and had good selection.
Chris's brother's name is Ted.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we were in Aspen, Chris Davenport sent us to Miller Sports Aspen, his brother's shop, to pick up some demo Kästles. They were super helpful and had good selection.
Chris's brother's name is Ted.
And a good selection of Kästles to boot.

James

Out There
Instructor
For the gathering, Aspen Highlands demos were like $78. That's 2015. You could switch out, which was good because the first pair of Blizzard wrc's were basically railed.
In the past I've demoed from a shop in Snowmass near the end of the mall towards the bus. There's a couple there. There's even more around the mall too.

Years ago there used to be a small hole in the wall shop in downtown Aspen with good stuff. Walked there from the gondola. Total throwback but had good stuff with a homey feel.No idea the name though. Four Mt is corporate, with all that entails good and bad.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Another option is always Gorsuch. You’ll pay but they have a huge inventory. Including all the premium brands. Even Wagner.
Stöckli. Kastle. Might be good to keep them in mind.

James

Out There
Instructor
At Gorsuch you could have your leg/foot scanned. Then the digital file is sent back to the 19th century where shoemakers in Germany hammer on little pieces to a wood last to make your custom last.
ErtlRenz boots.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I will say that Gorsuch is the primary donor to ALL of the full scholarship kids who are part of the Aspen Valley Ski Club. AVSC serves the entire RFV, and it’s mission is to get every kid living there, regardless of means, exposed to being on snow...for life if they take to it. Pretty great.

Gorsuch equips something like 400 kids. Skis, boots, poles, helmets, goggles, gloves, hats, jackets.....the works. Often brand new. It’s a very generous program by any measure.

Now, for the paying public, it can get a bit over the top. $1200 cotton shirts, $6000 loden blazers, etc. Wow. The ski stuff...it’s plentiful and they seem to do a very good job.

Last edited: