• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Asking for a friend" thread

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Asking for a friend. Well, actually a relative (older daughter and son in law). and an actual question. Son in law is in the air force and is stationed in easternish Europe. He went skiing for the first time today - even dragged the older daughter back onto the snow after a 13-14 year hiatus. And they had fun! So, if they get the bug and want to buy boots - any recommendations for a boot fitter over there?
The only one I know is in England
@cem
If not in the area, maybe Colin has a suggestion.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
even dragged the older daughter back onto the snow after a 13-14 year hiatus. And they had fun!
Oh, and Congratulations!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Slovenia is close to Hungary
I asked Fabian Stiepel on FB. He's involved with America's Best Bootfitters in Europe.
Hopefully we can get a response.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you!
Fabi's reply via facebook IM
Slovenia is also close to Austria!!! I'm about 200km away from the Slovenian boarder!! Otherwise I dont know anyone down there!!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fabi's reply via facebook IM
Slovenia is also close to Austria!!! I'm about 200km away from the Slovenian boarder!! Otherwise I dont know anyone down there!!

Where in Austria is he? Meryl and Josh are in Papa, Hungary - Vienna is a 90 minute drive.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where in Austria is he? Meryl and Josh are in Papa, Hungary - Vienna is a 90 minute drive.
I sent you and Fabi a PM on Facebook with an introduction.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
They are living in Hungary. But travel is easy in that part of the world. They are spending this weekend in Garmisch.
It depends where in Hungary and how far they are ready to drive for good bootfitting. I know Fabi pretty good from days he was still on World cup, and we had some crazy evening out together :) I also know where he's living/working, so if they want to go skiing and getting boots at same time, he's definitely right option. Around his place, you have Kaprun, Saalbach, then some 50km west is Kitzbuehel, and some 50km east is Flachau, Schladming etc.
If Slovenia is close to their place, we there's one really good store some 20km south east from Ljubljana. So it depends what's closer and easier for them.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends where in Hungary and how far they are ready to drive for good bootfitting. I know Fabi pretty good from days he was still on World cup, and we had some crazy evening out together :) I also know where he's living/working, so if they want to go skiing and getting boots at same time, he's definitely right option. Around his place, you have Kaprun, Saalbach, then some 50km west is Kitzbuehel, and some 50km east is Flachau, Schladming etc.
If Slovenia is close to their place, we there's one really good store some 20km south east from Ljubljana. So it depends what's closer and easier for them.

Thanks!
Right now I am gathering information for them. I suspect that driving some distance will not be a big deal for them. They travelled 5 hours to Garmisch for the weekend, so maybe I can convince them to drive to see Fabi and have a mini vacation

Last edited by a moderator:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Is it bad parenting to go ski for a couple hours when your kid is home sick with a 102 temp? Asking for a friend.

It depends: Did you leave the dog in charge & do you plan to stay out for happy hour? In our house ‘a couple hours’ is 12 or more.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I didn't see you wrote earlier where they are, and I just checked now. I guess Ljubljana is lot closer then Zell Am See, but if they want to go skiing at same time, Zell Am See is definitely better option :)

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Is it OK to pass TSA with ski bindings in your carry on? Asking for a friend.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks!
Right now I am gathering information for them. I suspect that driving some distance will not be a big deal for them. They travelled 5 hours to Garmisch for the weekend, so maybe I can convince them to drive to see Fabi and have a mini vacation
When Fabi lived in Tahoe he was our Ziggy sitter when we traveled for ESA and other stuff. Zig loved him, not that it makes a difference for a boot fit but...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How good of a skier do you have to be to put PUGSKI stickers on your equipment? My friend wouldn't want to embarrass the community with his old man skiing skills. Just asking for a friend

Like attendance at the Gatherings, the only requirement is enthusiasm.

It's the same with flash lights, screwdrivers, knives, bottles of beer, etc.

MEASURING TAPE. Where the hell do they go when you need them? I'm considering installing a shelf in every room to hold one measuring tape and one knife. (No, I don't have kids, why do you ask?)

A little OCD problem. I know someone that always has to have the pattern matching. I just click in and go.

Well, I don't think we've ever met, but I have a friend . . . OK, it's me.

Oh, good! I thought @Dwight was talking about me!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
MEASURING TAPE. Where the hell do they go when you need them? I'm considering installing a shelf in every room to hold one measuring tape and one knife. (No, I don't have kids, why do you ask?)
10mm sockets

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I need to have a tape measure constantly for work so I keep at least 3 or 4 in my truck at all times so when I forget where I put one I can go get another one. I can almost never find one in my house when I need it but will refuse to go get one from my truck because “damnit I’ve got one around here somewhere.” :roflmao:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
fullsizeoutput_936.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online