• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Asking for a friend" thread

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
"Does it matter if you mount tele bindings and don't line up the graphics for left and right?"

20190217_121839.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you want to ski one mountain and your husband wants to ski another mountain do you ditch him and go where you want? Asking for a friend

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
Should you swap left and right skis periodically to even out edge wear? Asking for a friend.
Maybe. Or, keep them separate so there's a sharp edge available when you need it. Either way they need a mark of some sort for left/right. This is what race kids do before they have dedicated race run skis.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
My friend is considering alternating the left ski to right foot for odd numbered days, and vice versa for even numbered days. He's a little obsessive...

You can tell which is 'left' by the topsheet:

volkl-kendo-skis-2017-163-top.jpg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A little OCD problem. I know someone that always has to have the pattern matching. I just click in and go.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
When someone barely makes it safely onto the chairlift with you, is it OK to ask them if they do better getting off? Asking for a friend.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
My friend is a bit prideful and wants to know . . .
How long is an 'acceptable' length of time to stick with Surefoot boots before throwing in the towel? Is 1 full season enough? Bonus question: does that time period correlate to the level of Surefoot trash talk one is allotted after finding a boot that actually fits well?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When someone barely makes it safely onto the chairlift with you, is it OK to ask them if they do better getting off? Asking for a friend.

It depends if the subject is really your friend or a stranger. If it's your friend you can do something. If it's a stranger just give them the best chance to make it. If they're nervous and it comes up in conversation, you can be helpful and give some tips for confidence or empathy.

If it's the chair in front of you with the subject, talk literally behind their back and take bets with others on your chair if it's going to be a success or a fail. Give odds if it's not going to be 50:50.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
If it's the chair in front of you with the subject, talk literally behind their back and take bets with others on your chair if it's going to be a success or a fail. Give odds if it's not going to be 50:50.

I love this!

As to me I gave my first unsolicited ski tips to a stranger of my life when I was fearful for my safety getting off with them. I gave them pointers on getting off the lift.

A couple of days later I told a guy "when we get to the top I'm getting out of your F'ing way!"

Sponsor

Staff online