• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Armada Skis?

Eddie2019

Booting up
Skier
Hi Everyone
As a newby to this forum I hope there are some experienced people out there who can offer me good advice on which pair of skiis to go for.
I'm a 179cm , 46 year old male who weighs 220lb's. I am in fairly good shape and snowboarded most of the last 20 years.
Currently I ski the Head Magnum supershape skiis (163cm as I like the short carving) which are superb for groomed slopes. My son is now 6 years old and also loves his skiing but is more attracted to the fun stuff like the park or powder which i am comfortable doing but the supershapes don't feel good in these conditions. I am now looking for a pair of skiis that are more versatile than the Supershapes and really like the Armada Arv 96's (or maybe the 86's).
I live most of my time in South Africa but usually go skiing here in Africa 2-3 times per season (yes we do have one slope a km long ) and to the US or Europe 2-3 times per season. I would say I am advanced ( yes both in years and ability ).
I recently started looking on line for skiis and had a shop in Germany offer me a pair of Armada ARV 96TI's (zero's) for a very good price. There don't seem to be many reviews on these so i would really like some buying advice on both the ARV96's (what size and how will they ski as i am quite heavy) and the ARV 96 TI's which apparently are a bit stiffer (maybe they are better for my weight?). It would be great to hear any comment or experiences ? I would love to test both but i don't have the luxury of a ski shop down the road here in Africa ;). I am also open to looking at other skiis , but what i have read is that the ARAMDA's seem to be able to do everything ?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to Pugski.
I wish I could be helpful on the ARVs but my Armada experience has been with the Victa (men's side is the Invictus) and Trace.
For the kind of skiing you're looking for the Trace could be a really good option, but I'll let others chime in.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Been on all the ARV series and owned the 2018 ARV86 but found them a little too soft for my liking. I am 6’2”/175 and had the 184cm.
They now run the full sidewall 75% of the ski vs the old 50% as well changing their cores to make them more damp and solid feeling.

The ARV series gets stiffer as it goes wider and the ARV 96 is by far the most popular width in that line up. They added the Ti option last year in the ARV96 and ARV106 to further dampen and slightly stiffen up those skis for far better performance in crud and at speed. Would as well recommend the metal versions for anyone over 200lbs to compensate to their size. Lots of great reviews out there on the ARV96 and the Ti version just makes a great ski even better.

For your use, the ARV 96ti would be the best bet I think. Perfect flex and width for all around fun. Length should be at least the 177 and could easily go for the 184cm too with your size. Even the 184cm Ti versions would be softer flexing than your Head skis. Longer skis will be more stable on the ground and in the air. Head height is normal for twin tips with skiers with lighter-average builds and longer if the skier has a bigger build. My twin tips run from 180-191cm with my “happy place” being 184-186cm if available for my size.

Twin tips usually size 5-10cm longer than traditional skis as you are losing contact area with the turned up tail and they ski shorter as the binding mount are further forward for easier pivoting and balance in the air.

Btw-you should be on the 177cm Head Magnum(184cm if they had it) skis unless you ski at very low speeds doing very short turns. You’d gain a HUGE gain in stability going up to the proper size for your size and ability. (Unless of course are on a 165cm slalom race ski and that’s your only option.)

TS
E

Eddie2019

Booting up
Skier
Been on all the ARV series and owned the 2018 ARV86 but found them a little too soft for my liking. I am 6’2”/175 and had the 184cm.
They now run the full sidewall 75% of the ski vs the old 50% as well changing their cores to make them more damp and solid feeling.

The ARV series gets stiffer as it goes wider and the ARV 96 is by far the most popular width in that line up. They added the Ti option last year in the ARV96 and ARV106 to further dampen and slightly stiffen up those skis for far better performance in crud and at speed. Would as well recommend the metal versions for anyone over 200lbs to compensate to their size. Lots of great reviews out there on the ARV96 and the Ti version just makes a great ski even better.

For your use, the ARV 96ti would be the best bet I think. Perfect flex and width for all around fun. Length should be at least the 177 and could easily go for the 184cm too with your size. Even the 184cm Ti versions would be softer flexing than your Head skis. Longer skis will be more stable on the ground and in the air. Head height is normal for twin tips with skiers with lighter-average builds and longer if the skier has a bigger build. My twin tips run from 180-191cm with my “happy place” being 184-186cm if available for my size.

Twin tips usually size 5-10cm longer than traditional skis as you are losing contact area with the turned up tail and they ski shorter as the binding mount are further forward for easier pivoting and balance in the air.

Btw-you should be on the 177cm Head Magnum(184cm if they had it) skis unless you ski at very low speeds doing very short turns. You’d gain a HUGE gain in stability going up to the proper size for your size and ability. (Unless of course are on a 165cm slalom race ski and that’s your only option.)

Wow, Thank you that is great info. you are right the only had one size and it was 165cm ... which isn't a problem her in Africa as small turns are not a problem given we only have 800m -1km of ski run ;). They do give my legs a good work out though !!!
You have been very helpful - i think the 177 TI's are the ones i'll go for. Thanks again !

Sponsor

Staff online