• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe that you set yourself up for improved chances of success if you go in to the process educated. Even if you're not a DIY'er type, knowing the variables involved can help you "guide" your boot fitter and give you the knowledge to speak more clearly about what you're experiencing when your foot is inside the "system". Even with all of today's available thermo-fitting technologies, the integration of the components is still a strong mix of art and science.

I'm going in for a fitting this Friday (if the shells show up when expected). I'm looking at the new Head Vector RS 130S shells that have GW capability and the new LiquidFit liners. I'm looking for something a little more "accessible" (and warmer) for a full day of skiing that still has the performance I've come to expect. This season's Vector is now built on a 98mm last. The fitter told me that the 25 shell is 96mm, so the fit will be a bit more generous in the forefoot than my 93mm B3 RD shells.
It was a tough lesson for me. I typically don't want to know what's under the hood, I just want it to work. Unfortunately that attitude comes with a cost at times and boot fitting was one of those times for me. It wasn't enough to hire a go-to guy. This thread is a useful resource so thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe that you set yourself up for improved chances of success if you go in to the process educated. Even if you're not a DIY'er type, knowing the variables involved can help you "guide" your boot fitter and give you the knowledge to speak more clearly about what you're experiencing when your foot is inside the "system". Even with all of today's available thermo-fitting technologies, the integration of the components is still a strong mix of art and science.

I'm going in for a fitting this Friday (if the shells show up when expected). I'm looking at the new Head Vector RS 130S shells that have GW capability and the new LiquidFit liners. I'm looking for something a little more "accessible" (and warmer) for a full day of skiing that still has the performance I've come to expect. This season's Vector is now built on a 98mm last. The fitter told me that the 25 shell is 96mm, so the fit will be a bit more generous in the forefoot than my 93mm B3 RD shells.

This is why we offered the ability for our members to attand MasterFit. @jmeb and @Andy Mink are attending and will be doing a review of the two day Associates Plus Course. This is something you might want to consider attending next year.

It was a tough lesson for me. I typically don't want to know what's under the hood, I just want it to work. Unfortunately that attitude comes with a cost at times and boot fitting was one of those times for me. It wasn't enough to hire a go-to guy. This thread is a useful resource so thanks!

To your point, some people don't want to be a mechanic to know how to drive a car.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Yes, I think this issue gets missed a lot, which is a shame because it's a fairly easy problem to manage and should, I think, be the starting point of a boot fit. Closely related to Noodler's next to last post.

I'll make a footbed (always as low profile as possible), trim its outline to fit the shell and the liner volume, create the under-support and deck the boot board to mate with the footbed's flat base, then start to work on the shells. I put a temporary shim insert of bontex the same thickness as the liner sole between the footbed and boot board to raise the footbed to its final height, then start locating punches and moving the shell as required. This seems to work well to adjust for what Noodler described. Rarely, I've had to make a footbed taller; mostly it's good with the low-profile design, thin-soled liners, and accurately located punches.

A P/S Media Album of my footbed build is here:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/cuff-alignment.6164/page-3#post-254138

You can't just make a footbed fit a foot sole and call it good. All the parts have to fit with one another and the foot. Depending on the shells and the feet, it can take more or less fussing, but when it's right, it can be kind of miraculous. Nothing beats the look on the face of a skier who has struggled with foot pain when they can ski hard in a comfortable, high-performing boot for the first time.

Thanks for posting that link to the cuff alignment discussion. That was a good read and reiterated much of what is in this thread. Your protocol for developing a footbed looks quite impressive; very professional.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This is why we offered the ability for our members to attand MasterFit. @jmeb and @Andy Mink are attending and will be doing a review of the two day Associates Plus Course. This is something you might want to consider attending next year.

I did see your post about the course and it's something I would love to do next season. Thanks for offering this opportunity to the members.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did see your post about the course and it's something I would love to do next season. Thanks for offering this opportunity to the members.
I highly recommend the class. Very interesting how much a tiny bit can change things. More to come when I get back to a computer and can type instead of poke at my phone.

Sponsor

Staff online