• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are you your skiing?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just saw this sentence in the Kristin Cooper interview in ski racing and thought it would be a great conversation starter:

"Skiing is our personalities, our experience, on display, in real time."

So does your skiing (not your gear) reflect or mold your personality or visa versa? Could you guess how someone skis through conversation alone?

Thoughts?

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't know that I could guess how they ski. I think I could guess whether they'd be fun to ski with (ability level completely aside).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see it all the time in racing and in most other skiers. Don't think it exists much in my own.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Reading on ski forums is one way to follow someone's words about skiing. I read on ski forums all the time. Can I predict how a person will ski from what they say about it online? No. Some people (myself included) can express verbally things that they have experienced a few times but that are not yet embedded in their muscle memory.
Just saw this sentence in the Kristin Cooper interview in ski racing and thought it would be a great conversation starter:
"Skiing is our personalities, our experience, on display, in real time."
So does your skiing (not your gear) reflect or mold your personality or visa versa? Could you guess how someone skis through conversation alone?
Thoughts?

But there are several questions embedded in the original post not related to verbal descriptions.
Does skiing mold one's personality? Not something I've noticed.... when someone becomes besotted by skiing that changes what they pay attention to, but I can't say that I've seen it change their "personality." Do others who have skied for a long time and watched people become addicted agree?

Here's the question I find more interesting: does one's skiing reflect the skier's personality? Does how one dances reflect personality? Does how a person sits, stands, moves through a room full of people reflect their personality? Is there room for personal body language in one's skiing?

I think so.

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You'd probably have better luck with where/what I ski than how I ski it. So yeah, I am where I ski.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Here's the question I find more interesting: does one's skiing reflect the skier's personality? Does how one dances reflect personality? Does how a person sits, stands, moves through a room full of people reflect their personality? Is there room for personal body language in one's skiing?

I think so.

This was what I was getting at. It's an interesting blend of 'personality' and genetics. I'm sure I'd ski differently if I were 5'6" and 130 lbs, but I'd probably still have the same predalictions and affinity for prefered sensations.

Just curious, but how have others described your (third person, this one's for everyone!) skiing?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious, but how have others described your (third person, this one's for everyone!) skiing?
Hmm, no one's ever described my skiing to me.

But I get a lot of weird looks from instructors.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha. I had to look that up. I wish I was as good at skiing as he is at golf.

I have to qualify an earlier statement - I have been told that I ski like a patroller, whatever that means. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean that I'm a pretty skier.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"Are you your skiing?"

No, my skiing is much prettier than I am inside and out..

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier

I think so.

I also think so. Movement is so influenced by how we see/interact with the world around us, and skiing is movement.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I think so.

I thought that was the question. Anyway, back to the original post, I'm not sure even conversation always "is" one's personality, either. Therefore, even if skiing is your personality, it doesn't follow that you could always gauge it via a conversation.

Originally I was trying to apply this to myself, because I've always said I feel more like myself when I'm around skiing. I feel more free, in all aspects. But I couldn't figure out the personality thing, and realized it's because I can't really describe either my skiing or my personality. So I started thinking of my friends, and then realized, yeah, I think it is pretty accurate.

But then I thought, Wait, does this apply to other sports too? And I don't think it does. I am a very different tennis player from soccer player from skier. This probably has to do with a lot of things, but maybe each sport just highlights a different aspect of one's personality? Requires different attributes to come to the forefront? Shows different characteristics because I started them at different ages?

And then I thought, Damn this is getting stupid, time for a Manhattan. Cheers!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think if you were competing at the level of the World Cup, then yes, your personality is probably evident in your skiing, same as other high level sports, such as Olympic level swimming, etc.. you'd have to assume they are at the apex of their game so see it. But, for most recreational skiers, even those that are called "recreational experts", they never achieve their "full potential", vis-à-vis what they in their own mind want to achieve. So, no, I don't think the melding of mind-body movement is evident in most recreational skiers.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Since skiing efficiency and proficiency is related to stance, I think one's skiing can have a huge impact on one's internal state.

This is one of my favorite TED talks, from social psychologist Amy Cuddy.

Sponsor